• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best NC Beach?

After living here for 11 months, I finally went to Wrightsville Beach for real for the first time on Sunday. Water was warm, waives were fun. Not a bad time at all.

Wrightsville is awesome, just a little more crowded. But still nothing approaching the white trash unless of myrtle.

I grew up near North Topsail so I'm kind of biased. But I always found that the best part was that if you drove north on the beach enough that there were great areas that no tourists ever visit. I took my fiance there on 4th of July and it was a perfect day with clean beaches and almost no one there at 11 am.

I grew up next to the Outer Banks so that will always get my vote. But you have to know where to go. North Kitty Hawk, Beach Road, between MP 2-5ish. That's the closest you can get to the old Outer Banks (plus close to the Black Pelican and John's Drive-In) without going south of Oregon Inlet. And then avoid the bypass like the plague.

I grew up next to the Outer Banks so that will always get my vote. But you have to know where to go. North Kitty Hawk, Beach Road, between MP 2-5ish. That's the closest you can get to the old Outer Banks (plus close to the Black Pelican and John's Drive-In) without going south of Oregon Inlet. And then avoid the bypass like the plague.

I ate at the Black Pelican for the first time this past weekend. I would give it a solid B+ against high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised by the service, which I'm used to being subpar at tourist places during high season.

I ate at the Black Pelican for the first time this past weekend. I would give it a solid B+ against high expectations. I was pleasantly surprised by the service, which I'm used to being subpar at tourist places during high season.

I would want the Black Pelican's white seafood pizza as my last meal.

Places to eat, things to do in and around Atlantic Beach? Heading there for work in the next couple of weeks.

Places to eat, things to do in and around Atlantic Beach? Heading there for work in the next couple of weeks.

There are some decent places on the island - Monkey Bar, Big Oak Drive-in, Amos Mosquitos (if you like tourists and long waits), the Mexican place at the end of the causeway is alright - but if you're looking for something better there are much better places (IMHO) across the bridge in Morehead and Beaufort. Ruddy Duck (on the water in Morehead) and Beaufort Grocery (downtown Beaufort) are my two favorites. Sammy's Oyster Bar in Morehead across from Ruddy Duck isn't bad, especially if you want oysters. If you want something casual, the Dock House on the water in Beaufort is very laid back and you can sit outside and people watch (Finz right down the street is very similar in terms of food). I've only eaten at Chef's 105 in downtown Morehead once, but it was good that one time.

If you have kids, the maritime museum in Beaufort (has a big Blackbeard exhibit), the Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores and Fort Macon are all pretty interesting attractions, if you haven't been there before. Actually, the Aquarium is fun even if you have been there before. You can walk downtown Beaufort and downtown Morehead and shop and such.

Last edited:
second on the ruddy duck, but don't forget sanitary seafood.

second on the ruddy duck, but don't forget sanitary seafood.

Spouter Inn is good too...

Staying anywhere on the island (Atlantic Beach - Emerald Isle) is greatly enhanced, IMO, if you have access to a boat. We have had so much fun cruising up to Morehead City, docking and having a drink or two, then cruising on up to Beaufort, docking and eating/drinking some more, cruising along the other islands looking for wild horses, etc. etc... Really a cool place to be on the water.

Back