• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Old School Video Game Music Thread

CDeacMan

Ishmael Smith
Reaction score
A depository for all the best music from old school video games. Seems like nowadays everything has huge orchestra scores and whatnot, but I'll always prefer the electronic jams from back in the day. What are your favorites?

Ducktales - The Moon Theme (Capcom hired some ballin' composers back in the day - this post could be entirely made up of themes from Mega Man)

Batman NES - State 2

Contra - Stage 1

Double Dragon Main Title

Castlevania - Stage 1

Legend of Zelda Main Theme

And though I could post a dozen or more of them I'll just post my favorite robot boss theme from the Mega Man series

The Zelda theme is amazing.

Not nearly as oldschool, but going back 15 years, it's hard to top this for me:

I also spent way too much of my life as a kid playing this:

Last edited:
One of my favorites. Capcom had amazing music.

Probably the best Super Mario Bros theme although I associate it with being pissed and frustrated.

And who can forget this baller moment from Mike Tyson's Punch Out:

I wonder how many of these were done by Koji Kondo...the man is a genius. I always loved the Double Dragon theme music too.

Zelda, Double Dragon and Mega Man come immediately to mind.

1049429061-00.jpg

This whole thread sounds like Skrillex's greatest hits.

Mega Man and Zelda win this thread, but here's a few others I always liked and one I just found recently:

Almost forgot this one also:

Last edited:
The best ever was The Guardian Legend. It's no contest.

Back