• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Old School Video Game Music Thread

And CDeac has ended his own thread. I really need to beat Mega Man 2 again. Just a great experience overall. I'd love to see a Mega Man game in the same vein as the Super Mario Galaxy series.

The Black Mages were actually one of Nobuo Uematsu's (the composer for the earlier Final Fantasy games) band. They did some pretty good remakes of those original FF songs. There are also some orchestral versions of the songs that Uematsu did as well, which are very good. I've always found it interesting how much more important the music is to Japanese games than Western games. You can seriously get a soundtrack for virtually any Japanese game in Japan, but that is almost unheard of in the US.

i can't compete with cdeac. batman stage 2 is so good.

So this thread made me want to play Zelda again, but when I went to turn on my NES, it wasn't working anymore. Going to order a new 72 pin port for it and hope that works.

So this thread made me want to play Zelda again, but when I went to turn on my NES, it wasn't working anymore. Going to order a new 72 pin port for it and hope that works.

Good luck - I broke 3 of them. Any time I found one at goodwill or a flea market, I would buy it so I could play Baseball Stars, Zelda, FFI and Super Mario 3.

Not as old school, but what instantly comes to mind is Dragon Roost Island from Windwaker. I used to do that mail mini-game for hours just cause I liked the music

And for OP because it haunts his dreams

Not quite as old school but still on Windows 95.

I was the #1 ranked C&C:RA player in the world when I was 17. A Path to Beyond bitches. About 6 months after the first and only Red Alert PGL tournament where I coulda won like $10k (my neighbor finished top 8 and got to play Wizard Style in Seattle)

I certainly don't think that a PS2 game counts as "Old School." Tony Hawk has had some of the best soundtracks out there, but I think any song with actual vocals is immediately disqualified.

I loved the music in "Wipeout" (or "wipE'out" to be more precise). Most especially "Firestarter" from Prodigy.

Aeris Theme from FF7

Weapon Raid FF7

Wild Arms Opening Theme

Back