• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of Thanksgiving Dinner

What makes you happiest?

• Turkey

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Gravy

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Stuffing

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • Mashed Taters

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Sweet potato casserole

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • Rolls

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cranberry sauce

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Pies (dessert)

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Green bean casserole

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Mac n cheese

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I absolutely hate thanksgiving dinner at my inlaws (dads) house. They cater everything from somewhere that's just not good. Everything is dried out and cold by the time we eat. Wife's Dad always has great Bourbon and Cigars though. So that would be my choice at his house.

M In Law tries to cook healthy, but she's an amazing cook so I like her meal a lot.

My family does it right. Mom's gravy can't be beat.

Read thread, now starving. Love, love, love Thanksgiving. Favorite meal of the year by far.

Just got back from a Friends Thanksgiving feast. So stuffed. Turkey, ham, salad, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, two kinds of stuffing (One was "stuffing muffins" with bacon in them! Yum), pineapple/Ritz/cheese casserole, baked apples, corn pudding, pumpkin spice and white chocolate bundt cake, pumpkin spice caramel rice krispy treats, apple pie, etc etc. Nom nom nom.

Nearly all traditional Thanksgiving food sucks. It's such a fail that they based an entire holiday around eating and that is the crap we get. If turkey tasted good we would eat it, I don't know.....ever!

Nearly all traditional Thanksgiving food sucks. It's such a fail that they based an entire holiday around eating and that is the crap we get. If turkey tasted good we would eat it, I don't know.....ever!

you sir fail at life

Interesting theory, borne out in part by the rarity of roast turkey as an entree the remainder of the year. I saw something sometime years ago theorizing about the origins of turkey for Thanksgiving; obviously the remainder of the meal kind of falls into place around the protein. Not sure of where it came from, but what I do remember is that it's not a holdover from the mostly mythical first Thanksgiving.

However, nothing says you have to have turkey with Thanksgiving if you don't like it. We've done ham, prime rib, and ribs (in different years, egad) before and all have been excellent.

BTW, I chose gravy...love that stuff! Makes everything on the plate better.

I voted turkey. I love the golden brown, juicy turkey that we make. I'm making a sweet potato pie with pecan coconut topping that I hope will be delicious.

I like turkey and I think more people would eat it more often throughout the year if it was easier to make. It's a lot of effort to buy a giant bird, prep it, then spend hours cooking it. It's much easier to roast a chicken, cook chicken breasts, grill a steak, cook fish, etc, so turkey moves to the back of the line in ease of prep. Deli turkey is extremely popular for sandwiches, so you can't really say no one likes turkey.

I voted turkey. I love the golden brown, juicy turkey that we make. I'm making a sweet potato pie with pecan coconut topping that I hope will be delicious.

A big part of the attraction is the spectacle of carving a huge bird at the table in front of everyone despite the fact that it's nearly impossible to get all the meat to be edible if the turkey is cooked whole. Moist, juicy, flavorful turkey demands to be cooked and carved in at least two stages.

That said, there's nothing wrong with turkey if it's cooked properly, but most turkey (including mine) is not as good as it could be.

My mom's stuffing is a-freaking-mazing. So this year that's what I am looking forward to the most.
If we're at my in-laws then my favorite is probably dessert though my MIL did start making a mean sweet potato casserole last year so if that becomes a regular part of dinner there, it wins.

One of my favorite Thanksgiving foods is the leftover turkey-meat sandwich with mustard and mayonnaise on white-bread with plain chips on the side and football on the tv - simple, perfect.

Back