• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best (Unheralded) Cover Songs

The Cardigans are very awesome. First Band on the Moon is one of my favorites.

And here's another cover since the other thread brought up Alice Cooper.

for a while i was super into random covers by youtubers. for some reason i was a nincompoop and didn't save / like / bookmark.

but here's one of my favs:

Probably heralded, but the Paul Anka big band covers of pop songs are great. My favorite is Wonderwall:

The Pickin' On Series has some great bluegrass covers of pretty much every genre. Also High Cotton, tribute to Alabama has Jason Isbell and Old Crow Medicine Show doing some Alabama songs. Tough to pick just one to share.

Back in 2002, I was working 65-70 hours per week and needed something to listen to so I could keep powering through the day. I discovered that I could stream Virgin Radio out of London on the Microsoft Windows Media player. I picked that one because we would be traveling to England/Scotland on our honeymoon the following year and I got a special kick out hearing about "traffic queuing on the M5 due to an overturned lorry" during breaks. This is when I got acquainted with older British acts like Style Council, Boomtown Rats, The Stranglers, etc. I also got to listen to artists that didn't get a ton of airplay like Lily Allen, The Libertines, and this band... Stereophonics. I was always a bit surprised they never crossed over to this side of the Atlantic. Nonetheless, here is a cover of theirs that I always liked...

Probably heralded, but the Paul Anka big band covers of pop songs are great. My favorite is Wonderwall:

My favorites, Pavement, did a Wonderwall cover but I think maybe it was intentionally bad:

Since bym051d brought up Tarja, I'll submit the Tarja-less Nightwish

Orville Peck and Paul Cauthen teamed up a couple years ago to do a couple of songs as the Unrighteous Brothers. I've seen both of these guys individually as well as a very late night set where they came out and did some songs together - they kicked ass.

In the same vein, you can't leave out Me First and the Gimme Gimmes when talking punk covers of pop songs

And because I love Hall & Oates, here's another Rich Girl cover....Lake Street Dive is really, really fucking talented. I saw them at Red Rocks a couple years ago (opened for...Avett Brothers?). Anyway, talent for days. During Covid they recreated the Beatles rooftop concert with a bunch of good covers from that performance.

Back