• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

There is an obvious difference between insisting everything is fine (against which you're launching your full assault) and simply opposing this pick for lack of qualifications and credibility. But you know that, so what are you doing here

IDGAS who the Secretary of Education was, is, or will be. I care deeply about how the administrators and teachers are at my kids' schools, because that will actually impact their education. I'm marveling at the things that outrage this Board.

What did you all think was going to happen? He was going to appoint a lifelong bureaucrat who would defend the establishment like it was the Alamo? This is what happens when you get your asses thrown out of office for being tone-deaf. He's just getting started, but remember: you earned this.

isn't that an issue for your school board, then?

I have three kids in public schools, and I can't tell you the name of any present or past member of my local school board. This is one million person County, and I'm guessing they don't know me either. I can't muster outrage about what some figurehead administrator thinks is important; they'll be gone by the time it actually matters but a wise person once asked, what difference, at this point, does it make? What could this complete stranger, perched at the top of this jobs fortress possibly do to impact your local educational experience?

I have three kids in public schools, and I can't tell you the name of any present or past member of my local school board. This is one million person County, and I'm guessing they don't know me either. I can't muster outrage about what some figurehead administrator thinks is important; they'll be gone by the time it actually matters but a wise person once asked, what difference, at this point, does it make? What could this complete stranger, perched at the top of this jobs fortress possibly do to impact your local educational experience?

maybe you should run for school board instead of blaming the Federal government for your hyper local problem.

Help me understand what forms of accountability in public education are tolerable to this Board's left. To review what's not on the list, so far the scoreboard has:

1) Testing. Because apparently performance is unreliable. (Testing is unreliable when you require schools with different resources to meet the same arbitrary standards, and then do little to nothing to try and reduce the gap in resources.)
2) Dominion for the end user. Somehow this is bad. (There has been enough so-called discussion in this thread about school choice and why it hurts more than helps that it does not necessitate a rehashing here)
3) No serious effort to push poor performing teachers into other pursuits. In fact, tenure and unions to counter that apparently unworthy pursuit. (Isn't one of the pillars of conservative policies? There is no competition in primary and secondary education; there is a severe need for teachers. But because funding is so low, salaries start lower and become much more difficult to increase over time. In the immortal words of Jerry Maguire: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!")

If what we're after is a jobs program where you can't get fired, your customers can't leave, there are no standards against which you can be judged, and you can get an archaic pension plan you can't outlive, I could see the attraction. That sounds pretty good, actually, when you remember it is a part-time job with full-time benefits you can't get in the private sector any more

The last paragraph shows that you hold teachers and education as a whole in utter contempt and this pokes holes in the credibility of your so-called arguments (though I get a sneaking suspicion that credibility is not something you crave). That you consider teaching a part-time job demonstrates your lack of understanding of the educational field, making Betsy DeVos the perfect Ed Sec for you.

If being a teacher is such a desirable position (part-time position with full-time benefits that you can't find in the private sector anymore) then why isn't it attracting better talent overall?

maybe you should run for school board instead of blaming the Federal government for your hyper local problem.

I don't have one. I like our schools. We were able to choose a year-round option which aligns with our goals. Class sizes are small, we know the teachers on a first-name basis and I have every confidence that the people that work there are sync'd up with the priorities we want for our kids. If we lose confidence, we'll vote with our feet.

IDGAS who the Secretary of Education was, is, or will be. I care deeply about how the administrators and teachers are at my kids' schools, because that will actually impact their education. I'm marveling at the things that outrage this Board.

What did you all think was going to happen? He was going to appoint a lifelong bureaucrat who would defend the establishment like it was the Alamo? This is what happens when you get your asses thrown out of office for being tone-deaf. He's just getting started, but remember: you earned this.

This is an argument from Republicans that I just don't understand. Do you want Trump to succeed so that you can laud it over Democrats? Or do you enjoy watching him fail so you can tell Democrats, "See how bad this guy is? He beat your gal. That's how bad she was."

The last paragraph shows that you hold teachers and education as a whole in utter contempt and this pokes holes in the credibility of your so-called arguments (though I get a sneaking suspicion that credibility is not something you crave). That you consider teaching a part-time job demonstrates your lack of understanding of the educational field, making Betsy DeVos the perfect Ed Sec for you.

It does manifest my understanding of how a calendar works, though. Sorry you lost the election. Letmeguess, you're so over it you make posts like this one towards people who disagree with you, right?

It does manifest my understanding of how a calendar works, though. Sorry you lost the election. Letmeguess, you're so over it you make posts like this one towards people who disagree with you, right?

Do you honestly believe that teaching is a part time job or are you trolling so poorly because you're having a tough time trying to quit something (like Palma with smoking and 2&2 with workplace discrimination)?

Do you honestly believe that teaching is a part time job or are you trolling so poorly because you're having a tough time trying to quit something (like Palma with smoking and 2&2 with workplace discrimination)?

Compared to what? I would assume most people on this board don't get consecutive months off during the calendar year. Do you?

What did you all think was going to happen? He was going to appoint a lifelong bureaucrat who would defend the establishment like it was the Alamo? This is what happens when you get your asses thrown out of office for being tone-deaf. He's just getting started, but remember: you earned this

So, apparently Trump winning is our fault, not the people that actually voted for him.

Compared to what? I would assume most people on this board don't get consecutive months off during the calendar year. Do you?

it's the teacher's fault the school districts stick with a schedule with a large summer break?

There are plenty of posts I see that I disagree with. I will respond to those that I think are based on flawed logic or just flat out inaccuracies.

I'll my wife who works on her curricula during the summer she's a part-time employee

In my field, time off is time to work on my own research, publications, etc. I also teach over the summers, so I might be a bad example.

I was raised by a public school teacher, though and you couldn't be more off base. Teachers regularly log 60 hour work weeks and work on weekends during the school year. You act like teachers don't work at all over the summer, as if curricula write themselves. What do you think that they do, exactly? Do you have this much contempt for every occupation that isn't your own?

Would you say that the posters bragging about taking weeks-long European sojourns, ski vacations, etc. work part-time?

I will use my own secondary education experience for timelines for the purposes of this post

A teacher who works in a school district with August to May schedules will have roughly 80-90 business days a year where school is not in session. Even at the most extreme side of the spectrum, where a teacher does absolutely no educational duties related to their job on those days, over an 8 year period, that would fall somewhere around 640-720 days of "vacation".

George Bush took 879 days of vacation while in office (per NY Times Fake News).

Was George Bush a part-time President?

The post demonstrates a complete lack of awareness about the profession in general.

Back