• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

This thread is solely about the secretary of education. Do you consider her nomination an L for the administration and therefore the country? You are able to answer this irrespective of how it may trickle down to affect you and your children.

I consider it a NothingBurger, like most cabinet level positions. What are you afraid of?

I consider it a NothingBurger, like most cabinet level positions. What are you afraid of?

The fact that she is woefully under qualified for her job and would never have gotten there without offering millions of dollars to buy influence and gain her role.

Not to mention that actual implementation of whatever she thinks work failed miserably when she was the head of the Detroit program. She also has gone on record as stating that she believes education reform is important so she can "advance God's Kingdom." Also how school choice leads to "greater Kingdom gain". That is certainly concerning to me in a country that preaches (if you will) separation between church and state.

I haven't had two consecutive weeks off, since my two week gap between graduating college and starting work. Also routinely work 60+ hour work weeks plus extensive time traveling.

Hard to really think a job where you get two months off should be considered "full time". As far as "the curricula doesn't write itself".... yeah after teaching the same US history class for ten years it pretty much does.

You should ask him how much he works. And if he considers his job a part-time job.

Well I'd assume if you have a 2nd job, then your first job is a part time job by definition.

Data on teachers' summer behavior aren't widely available, but according to an informal New Jersey Press Media survey, about 67 percent of New Jersey teachers work a second job over the summer.

Instead of the anecdotes coming from both sides, we can resolve this with some #data and #facts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...6/gIQAqGxYGS_blog.html?utm_term=.025e303e0d85

A new report from Scholastic and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, called Primary Sources: America’s Teachers on the Teaching Profession, finally quantifies just how hard teachers work: 10 hours and 40 minutes a day on average. That’s a 53-hour work week!

The 7.5 hours in the classroom are just the starting point. On average, teachers are at school an additional 90 minutes beyond the school day for mentoring, providing after-school help for students, attending staff meetings and collaborating with peers. Teachers then spend another 95 minutes at home grading, preparing classroom activities, and doing other job-related tasks. The workday is even longer for teachers who advise extracurricular clubs and coach sports —11 hours and 20 minutes, on average. As one Kentucky teacher surveyed put it, “Our work is never done. We take grading home, stay late, answer phone calls constantly, and lay awake thinking about how to change things to meet student needs.”

The 10,000 teachers surveyed in Primary Sources 2012 convey a very real portrait of the challenges and joys of the teaching profession. They share their thoughtful, nuanced views on both their daily practice and critical issues at the heart of education reform.

The fact that she is woefully under qualified for her job and would never have gotten there without offering millions of dollars to buy influence and gain her role.

Not to mention that actual implementation of whatever she thinks work failed miserably when she was the head of the Detroit program. She also has gone on record as stating that she believes education reform is important so she can "advance God's Kingdom." Also how school choice leads to "greater Kingdom gain". That is certainly concerning to me in a country that preaches (if you will) separation between church and state.

I'm assuming most public school teachers won't forget that works with their students, and may not even bother to look up to see what this blowhard is doing (nor did they when we had NCLB, or Common Core). You've worked in a government bureaucracy before, right? There will be Powerpoints, Platitudes, Tiger Teams will be formed, Task Forces will assemble...and the people who actually did the real work yesterday will be doing the real work tomorrow. This hysteria will pass, and leave a ginormous field of "Meh" in its wake. I also predict you all will be outraged about something else by this time next week.

Well I'd assume if you have a 2nd job, then your first job is a part time job by definition.

...or you could use the definition set forth by the Bureau of Labor Statistics as to what constitutes a part time vs full time job, which is anything over 34 hours of work a week.

Isn't the issue with this that the info was self reported? What % of hens in your workplace say they're "totally stressed and working to the max". Or what % of people say they work more than they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that self-reporting isn't the best way to go about it, but that's how almost all of these hours worked are detailed, right?

How do you determine how much time somebody spends working then for any job? I mean we spend half the day arguing on a message board. Does this count because we are in our office?

giphy.gif

I'm assuming most public school teachers won't forget that works with their students, and may not even bother to look up to see what this blowhard is doing (nor did they when we had NCLB, or Common Core). You've worked in a government bureaucracy before, right? There will be Powerpoints, Platitudes, Tiger Teams will be formed, Task Forces will assemble...and the people who actually did the real work yesterday will be doing the real work tomorrow. This hysteria will pass, and leave a ginormous field of "Meh" in its wake. I also predict you all will be outraged about something else by this time next week.

Yup, NCLB or CC had no effect on the day to day activity in America's classrooms.

Other than completely changing how students and teachers were measured and evaluated.

Isn't the issue with this that the info was self reported? What % of hens in your workplace say they're "totally stressed and working to the max". Or what % of people say they work more than they do

All survey data is self reported, palma.

Yup, NCLB or CC had no effect on the day to day activity in America's classrooms.

Other than completely changing how students and teachers were measured and evaluated.

Adverbs! Anecdotes! Feelings!

But since you brought it up, is NCLB still federal policy?

I agree that self-reporting isn't the best way to go about it, but that's how almost all of these hours worked are detailed, right?

How do you determine how much time somebody spends working then for any job? I mean we spend half the day arguing on a message board. Does this count because we are in our office?

There are other studies that show lower numbers when like tracking times with other methods.

And yes, I don't think I've had a full time job in 7-8 years

All survey data is self reported, palma.

Yes, but there were other studies which used things other than a survey that showed lower numbers. Like comparing bell times vs self reported hours "instructing" as people tend to round up

Back