• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Betsy DeVos

You're also talking high school, yeah people teach golf. That's not "work"

I live near an elementary school. They all get in at 8 and leave at 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're also talking high school, yeah people teach cross country. That's not "work"

You also need to remember that a lot of their work is done after hours when they are grading papers, assignments, etc.

Defining what is and is not "work" is also a pretty slippery slope, and fairly subjective.

You're also talking high school, yeah people teach golf. That's not "work"

And then their day ends, they go home and do liberal shit, and don't do a second of work until they arrive at school the next day.

Yes, the guy who runs the school play probably works 50 hours a week, but he's not required to do it, he volunteers, and gets paid extra

You also need to remember that a lot of their work is done after hours when they are grading papers, assignments, etc.

Defining what is and is not "work" is also a pretty slippery slope, and fairly subjective.

You think most 2nd grade teachers are spending lots of time grading papers and giving assignments?

Most of my high school teachers graded papers when they were monitoring who went in and out of the restroom

You think most 2nd grade teachers are spending lots of time grading papers and giving assignments?

Most of my high school teachers graded papers when they were monitoring who went in and out of the restroom

My 2nd grader has daily math and reading homework that gets graded every day along with the class work. I imagine his teacher does at least 60-90 minutes of grading a day.

Want an #anecdote? Junior year of high school we did all of our English homework in a journal, which got graded once a quarter. The first quarter I got a B or C or something with the feedback "use more quotes."

So the 2nd quarter "I" (43) started using lots of quotes. "The"(67) teacher reviewed my journal and I got an A. Same for the 3rd quarter. So she had to review homework 4 times a year, and clearly took her job seriously.

Being the braggart that I am, of course I told everyone.

In math class at the end of the year, we were all talking about whether we were doing AP English next year and someone said "hey Palma, you think your quoting habits will fly?" And the girl behind me didn't know what we were talking about and I explained it to her just like i explained it to you now.

The next day as she was hard at work making sure that people weren't smoking cigarettes in the bathroom, my English teacher confronted me "palmab03 , I just want to let you know that you aren't "pulling the wool" over my eyes, I know what you're doing"

My math teacher didn't like me because I was better at math than her and let her know it. She ratted me out. My response to the English teacher "well I kind have for the past two marking periods". Which lead to my suspension and a hearing on whether I should be kicked off of the National Honor Society

#hardwork

Sort of like accountants...they just put numbers into computer programs and let the computer do their work for them while they lay out lines of coke on their desk and have 5 shots of tequila at lunch while billing clients for time at the massage parlor.

I had an actual part-time job working in grade schools through Americorps and Boy's and Girl's Club working with struggling math and reading students. I was scheduled between 10-20 hours per week in the school working with kids from K-5.

I spent more time preparing for that job, creating activities to help students, and then actually going into the schools and working there than I spent working at my full time job after I graduated college. That was necessary in order to keep students engaged, make sure they stayed on pace with goals and to get enough material ready for all students in all grades. And I was only working with around 5 students at a time for 30 minute blocks.

Teachers have to do what I did and then multiply it by 5 or 6. You can look down on teachers all you want, you can disparage what they mean to not only the education of children, but to the community as a whole. But to consider their careers as nothing but a part-time job is one of the most insulting things I have ever heard.

Since it was so close to the end of the year, my suspension meant I had to take my exams after everyone else. The super hard at work teacher administrating the final exams didn't bother to open the folder my teachers gave her to see that in it was both the test and the answer sheet, which worked out great for me except for my history exam where about 3/4ths of the way through I must have skipped a number on the multiple choice test therefore I got 75% of those wrong

Teaching is what it is, and it pays what it pays. I do it because I enjoy having the summers off to spend with my family, because I enjoy the subject matter, and because at the end of the day it helps on the old self-assessment to feel like you're part of the problem rather than part of the solution. It provides a livable wage, provided you live within your means. However, if you think the average teacher at any level works from 8-2, or does the vast majority of their grading and planning during school hours, than you simply don't have a clue. I'm sorry that you had a rough experience with a less than enthusiastic teacher. There are far too many of those out there. That doesn't entitle you to denigrate an entire profession.

I had an actual part-time job working in grade schools through Americorps and Boy's and Girl's Club working with struggling math and reading students. I was scheduled between 10-20 hours per week in the school working with kids from K-5.

I spent more time preparing for that job, creating activities to help students, and then actually going into the schools and working there than I spent working at my full time job after I graduated college. That was necessary in order to keep students engaged, make sure they stayed on pace with goals and to get enough material ready for all students in all grades. And I was only working with around 5 students at a time for 30 minute blocks.

Teachers have to do what I did and then multiply it by 5 or 6. You can look down on teachers all you want, you can disparage what they mean to not only the education of children, but to the community as a whole. But to consider their careers as nothing but a part-time job is one of the most insulting things I have ever heard.

So you had a lot of work the first year. By your 10th year you no longer have to reinvent the wheel. Kinda like in every job you ever have

My 2nd grader has daily math and reading homework that gets graded every day along with the class work. I imagine his teacher does at least 60-90 minutes of grading a day.

Sure, but when I was growing up each teacher had a period where she was off, and/or a period like hall duty to do that work. Not to mention all the free time they have while students are taking quizzes, tests, watching a video, or just time the teacher just gives the students time to do homework in class

So you had a lot of work the first year. By your 10th year you no longer have to reinvent the wheel. Kinda like in every job you ever have

A teacher that isn't fluid and dynamic in instructional techniques is a shitty teacher.

i know lots people in lots of fields who mail it in and get paid but i wouldnt' call every vocation a joke

A teacher that isn't fluid and dynamic in instructional techniques is a shitty teacher.

The best teacher I ever had is the same teacher my brother or sister who are 10 years older ever had, and is the same teacher 90% of the students in my town would say is the best they ever had and his lesson plan didn't change much at all over the course of 20 years. I can still name all 50 states in under 20 seconds, and get most of the capitols right

The best teacher I ever had is the same teacher my brother or sister who are 10 years older ever had, and is the same teacher 90% of the students in my town would say is the best they ever had and his lesson plan didn't change much at all over the course of 20 years

Interesting. I would say the same thing about the vast majority of shitty teachers that I know. What was the subject matter?

i know lots people in lots of fields who mail it in and get paid but i wouldnt' call every vocation a joke

Who called it a joke, I think it was just called part-Time , which it is by definition of the words part-time

Leahy saying that other GOP senators wanted to vote no on Devos, but McConnell and Pence would only allow two

Interesting. I would say the same thing about the vast majority of shitty teachers that I know. What was the subject matter?

7th and 8th grade history. He had to have switched it up once Ken Burns Civil War came out though, as he'd let us watch that 5-10 minutes at a time over the course of months

Back