• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

The Dems only get Presidency and Congress together once a generation. That means for a given lifetime, they'll get an opportunity maybe 3 or 4 times to do something with that power. I'm sorry, but this attitude is not sufficient anymore, Shoo, not when facing existential threats like climate change.

Unfortunately, that's too fucking bad. I'm sorry, but petulance and taking your ball and going home or being unwilling to compromise even with abhorrent POS like Sinema and Manchin, or having a separate infrastructure and BBB vote, is not the right attitude when facing existential threats like climate change. Your alternative is MAGA, and then it's game over.

why isn't the onus of compromise on the vastly outnumbered Sinema and Manchin

yeah who feels good about special interests?

talk about STRAW MEN

Well TOWNIE wants MAGA to win! And Shoo wants to BOMB Israel out of existence! And all of them think their INTERESTS are SPECIAL!!!!!!

The tweet thread I posted made a basic point that a party people who disagree with each other coming together to figure out something that works well enough for all of them is normal politics and a reasonable way to govern. A party of people who have no interest in being part of the process is not.

If the apex of democratic power is a 50/50 senate then they won't be able to pass transformative legislation.

Unfortunately, that's too fucking bad. I'm sorry, but petulance and taking your ball and going home or being unwilling to compromise even with abhorrent POS like Sinema and Manchin, or having a separate infrastructure and BBB vote, is not the right attitude when facing existential threats like climate change. Your alternative is MAGA, and then it's game over.

But this is where the disconnect is. The incremental/compromise with moderates and the respect to rules and traditions approach may have been ok in 1998 when we had sometime to work on Climate and figure some shit out, but that time is at least 20 years in our past. In 2021, the entire future of western civilization is being held hostage by a guy from West Virginia that was elected to senate by only 291,000 people and a lady from Arizona barely elected by 1.2 million people. At least that is the way I see it; It is time to stop fucking around with procedure and change the system that is blocking actual desperately needed progress.

But this is where the disconnect is. The incremental/compromise with moderates and the respect to rules and traditions approach may have been ok in 1998 when we had sometime to work on Climate and figure some shit out, but that time is at least 20 years in our past. In 2021, the entire future of western civilization is being held hostage by a guy from West Virginia that was elected to senate by only 291,000 people and a lady from Arizona barely elected by 1.2 million people. At least that is the way I see it; It is time to stop fucking around with procedure and change the system that is blocking actual desperately needed progress.
The only way you can do that is by convincing the person from West Virginia and the person from Arizona to vote for it.

If you burn down their houses (advocated for on this here thread), surely they will see the light, stop being assholes, and toe the party line.

My favorite brasky is that he agreed to be a democratic precinct party head, and then turns around and quits a few months later in some grand "Hey look at me" drama queen fashion.

i don't understand. nothing about special interests was in the tweet ph linked??
I wasn't speaking to Ph's tweet, but more generally to the failure of Congressional Democrats to coalesce around popular provisions -- expansion of Medicaid, drug price caps, tax hikes on those who earn $400k+ -- because they are being led by the nose by lobby interests

Pelosi and others are walking back promises and goals -- popular ones -- because special interests have since gotten in their ear

NYT daily email today did a good job discussing some of the key lobby players involved

My favorite brasky is that he agreed to be a democratic precinct party head, and then turns around and quits a few months later in some grand "Hey look at me" drama queen fashion.

better than holding onto the title of precinct head and doing little to no organizing, tbh

most frustrating part of working with Forsyth County Dems were those precinct chairs that went AWOL

so what are the progressives doing about Manchin and Sinema

Taking their case directly to the American people. Jayapal has done the rounds on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, and talked directly about kitchen table issues. The progressive caucus sticks to the message of why BBB is crucial to the future of our country. They're not just thinking about midterms and their constituents, but they are doing that too. But ultimately it's Pelosi and Schumer's job to whip votes, not the opposing caucus. Floor speeches and hallway conversations are one way to help, but I think being direct about what problems they have with Manchin and Sinema, specifically calling them out as obstructing the President's agenda, is a good approach.

Heh
b32329c9028941e4db181141dcd2787c.jpg

Back