• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Well TOWNIE wants MAGA to win! And Shoo wants to BOMB Israel out of existence! And all of them think their INTERESTS are SPECIAL!!!!!!

The tweet thread I posted made a basic point that a party people who disagree with each other coming together to figure out something that works well enough for all of them is normal politics and a reasonable way to govern. A party of people who have no interest in being part of the process is not.

For the last 25 years the manchins and sinemas have insisted on taking good programs and adding administrative complexity via means testing for minimal budget savings (if any) in service of being able to sell themselves to their constituents as fiscally prudent. That narrow view, which rarely works with voters, makes programs actively worse for Americans. It clogs up the works in passing bills, and it does the job of Republicans for them. The idea that because progressives are trying to hold votes means they aren't interested in being part of the process is absurd. Manchin and Sinema aren't part of the process, they're just collecting checks and digging heels in.

I agree that’s absurd. That’s not what I saw or what the tweets said. Stop conjuring up crap to disagree with.

I am not sure I was disagreeing, just describing the conditions more fully. Unfortunately, that tweet thread was all historical context and no present day reality. I'm glad when that guy was on The Hill you could Get Things Done by Coming Together, but today we've got a couple turds in the punchbowl.

I am not sure I was disagreeing, just describing the conditions more fully. Unfortunately, that tweet thread was all historical context and no present day reality. I'm glad when that guy was on The Hill you could Get Things Done by Coming Together, but today we've got a couple turds in the punchbowl.

I don't think you actually read it. I think you read the first two tweets and scanned the pictures. You missed the main thesis completely. It wasn't a nostalgic look at how things got done. It was a reminder that media focuses on "Dems in disarray" instead of the actual policy goals and how Republicans are overtly trying to prevent those goals.

I fundamentally disagree with his thesis that we should give the Democrats a pass for failing to get this legislation through, given that his arguments are things such as "the worst Democrat is better than the best Republican" or "why dont we ask why any Republicans won't vote for this?" Sure it would be nice if a GOP congressperson went on CNN and got asked why they don't want to lower childcare costs or cut taxes, but meanwhile, there is an actual intraparty battle about passing legislation that's based on the numerical makeup of our legislative body right now. The governing and ruling party has a job to do, and the minority party's job is to push back and try and get compromise. When the governing and ruling party is Republicans, they enact their policies pretty effectively, but the Democrats are proving incapable. They come prenegotiated to every table and let the center of gravity pull them to the right or in favor of administrative burdens too often. I don't understand not wanting critique for being incapable of doing your job properly.

You should try reading it first before commenting. You missed it again. The legislation hasn’t failed yet. He’s confident it will get through. Part of his thesis is that people get too hung up on the process instead of the result. You’re falling into that category and making the same mistake media make with the “Dems in disarray” narrative.

it's like 200 words, i read the thread

and i'll gladly eat crow if both reconciliation and infrastructure pass

I fundamentally disagree with his thesis that we should give the Democrats a pass for failing to get this legislation through, given that his arguments are things such as "the worst Democrat is better than the best Republican" or "why dont we ask why any Republicans won't vote for this?" Sure it would be nice if a GOP congressperson went on CNN and got asked why they don't want to lower childcare costs or cut taxes, but meanwhile, there is an actual intraparty battle about passing legislation that's based on the numerical makeup of our legislative body right now. The governing and ruling party has a job to do, and the minority party's job is to push back and try and get compromise. When the governing and ruling party is Republicans, they enact their policies pretty effectively, but the Democrats are proving incapable. They come prenegotiated to every table and let the center of gravity pull them to the right or in favor of administrative burdens too often. I don't understand not wanting critique for being incapable of doing your job properly.

To be fair, the only lasting thing that the Trump presidency accomplished was the Tax Cuts and Judicial appointments (which admittedly will be a huge and long lasting impact). But really the Tax Cuts are the only real policy accomplishment via legislation, that I can think of. They couldn't even get a Marxist program that everyone hates, Obamacare, repealed.

I wasn't speaking to Ph's tweet, but more generally to the failure of Congressional Democrats to coalesce around popular provisions -- expansion of Medicaid, drug price caps, tax hikes on those who earn $400k+ -- because they are being led by the nose by lobby interests

Pelosi and others are walking back promises and goals -- popular ones -- because special interests have since gotten in their ear

NYT daily email today did a good job discussing some of the key lobby players involved

The DNC needs to create a 90 second ad examining Manchin’s corrupt family corporate connections and threaten to run during primetime in WV for the next year if he doesn’t fall in line

Cut his fucking nuts off today, I should never hear his name again

Please welcome Matthew Dowd to your party, boys and girls!!! Go Team Blue, Go!!!

I’ve been up front that I’m thinking long term, not short term. It’s not worth it to “save the republic” if the republic continues to lurch towards a dystopian 21st century Gilded Age.

Real positive progressive change in this nation has always been reactionary, and if Trump’s presidency wasn’t enough for Democrats to unite to pass incredibly popular and much needed legislation, then maybe it needs to get worse before it can get better, and the Democratic Party needs to die and be reborn.

I’ve been up front that I’m thinking long term, not short term. It’s not worth it to “save the republic” if the republic continues to lurch towards a dystopian 21st century Gilded Age.

Real positive progressive change in this nation has always been reactionary, and if Trump’s presidency wasn’t enough for Democrats to unite to pass incredibly popular and much needed legislation, then maybe it needs to get worse before it can get better, and the Democratic Party needs to die and be reborn.
Susan Sarandon has been trying this for over 20 years.

"Let the fascists win, so we can election people to vote for our issues in a few years" is peak white progressive privilege.

Last edited:

Thank God this is a fringe opinion. Burning it all down is a tacit concession to right wing politics that would entrench them for another generation.

Back