• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by 9/11/21

Politico article on how Republicans are simultaneously attacking Biden for the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan (including abandoning Afghan refugees to the Taliban) while also slamming Biden and the Democrats for bringing Afghan refugees into the US: "An increasingly vocal group of Republicans — led by Donald Trump, who made immigration restrictions a hallmark of his presidency — oppose the resettlement of Afghan refugees in the U.S., claiming that they could be dangerous, or will change the make-up of the country. And they plan to make it an issue in next year’s midterm elections, along with broader attacks about Biden’s messy withdrawal from Afghanistan."

Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't strategy. Good luck complaining about Biden following Dear Leader's withdrawal plan (although not as quickly as Trump wanted) and the resultant chaos, while also saying that you don't want "those people" over here in your state. Just shameless.

Link: https://news.yahoo.com/biden-winds-down-afghanistan-refugee-033016419.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

It makes sense to Republicans and that's all that matters to them. They hate Biden and hate Muslims. It's completely consistent.

It would be good to see Republicans stand up and publicly welcome Afghans to their districts and states. I won't hold my breath about seeing that for more than a few senators who aren't up for reelection in 2022.

Politico article on how Republicans are simultaneously attacking Biden for the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan (including abandoning Afghan refugees to the Taliban) while also slamming Biden and the Democrats for bringing Afghan refugees into the US: "An increasingly vocal group of Republicans — led by Donald Trump, who made immigration restrictions a hallmark of his presidency — oppose the resettlement of Afghan refugees in the U.S., claiming that they could be dangerous, or will change the make-up of the country. And they plan to make it an issue in next year’s midterm elections, along with broader attacks about Biden’s messy withdrawal from Afghanistan."

Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't strategy. Good luck complaining about Biden following Dear Leader's withdrawal plan (although not as quickly as Trump wanted) and the resultant chaos, while also saying that you don't want "those people" over here in your state. Just shameless.

Link: https://news.yahoo.com/biden-winds-down-afghanistan-refugee-033016419.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Somewhat anecdotally, but I’ve seen pretty broad support for Afghan SIV’s and parolees here in the Triad. Many conservative churches have reached out to help where the pst four years they have taken a more anti-immigrant position. Even the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina is pushing its congregations to give resources to help welcome these evacuees.

This is very different than the Syrian refugee crisis or the last four years in general. Refugee resettlement used to have broad bipartisan support, I am hoping that this can be a bridge to that once again. But we’ll see.

6.4 billion to resettle 95,000 Afghan refugees. Seems like a moral imperative.

Nothing to see here. All part of the master plan as every contingency was addressed.

You definitely would have won the argument with this post if anybody was actually arguing that the surrender and evacuation went perfectly smoothly. High five!...or ten, or what ever number you prefer.

6.4 billion to resettle 95,000 Afghan refugees. Seems like a moral imperative.

That’s about $67,500 per refugee. Seems reasonable. That’s a fraction of what it costs to move to a new country and start a new life.

I also recall that when we quickly took Baghdad and ousted Hussein that Donald Rumsfeld was lionized in the media as a hero, instead of the liar and incompetent boob and blowhard that he was eventually shown to be. The notion that the vast majority of American media is liberal or progressive is a joke, truly.

American media is biased toward war for reasons I'm pretty sure I've outlined before. The most important part is that "war is good" is ingrained in the American psyche.

Back