• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboard Magazine greatest 200 albums of all time

That's a good point, im really surprised at the lack of boy-bands/Britney Spears from the top 10

sort of are...as in the opinion of DJs/radio congomerates and people listening/buying the records

With regard to music charts: those actions aren't a measure of opinion, but a measure of performance.

sure...but it's a performance of sales, which I think is arguably a metric of opinion

I can see the argument that sales is a metric of public opinion. It's certainly not a measurement of critical opinion. Most of these music lists are, which is probably throwing some people off - and the reason I think mdmh posted.

Holy moly. This is the biggest troll list of all time. Either that or the Billboard staff is comprised entirely of precocious 14yo girls.

And its not based on sales.

How it works:

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.

How it works:

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.

Yeah It still doesnt work. Thriller was #1 for 37 weeks, Adele only 24. Thriller had 4 #1 singles, Adele had none.

Yeah It still doesnt work. Thriller was #1 for 37 weeks, Adele only 24. Thriller had 4 #1 singles, Adele had none.

Then that must mean that the Adele album stayed ranked higher for longer after it dropped from #1. I don't think singles plays into it at all, right?

Then that must mean that the Adele album stayed ranked higher for longer after it dropped from #1. I don't think singles plays into it at all, right?

Nope. Your guess might be right if they even had a system. They proffered a rating scheme and then were like ADDDDEELLLEe!

Even the fucking soundtracks they got wrong.

(917 weeks) The Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd[29]
(490 weeks) Johnny's Greatest Hits – Johnny Mathis
(480 weeks) My Fair Lady – Original Cast Recording
(394 weeks) Legend – Bob Marley and the Wailers[30]
(385 weeks) Journey's Greatest Hits – Journey[31]
(356 weeks) Metallica – Metallica[32]
(337 weeks) Greatest Hits – Guns N' Roses[33]
(331 weeks) Highlights from the Phantom of the Opera – Original Cast Recording
(313 weeks) Tapestry – Carole King[34]
(305 weeks) Oklahoma! – Soundtrack
(304 weeks) Nevermind – Nirvana[35]
(295 weeks) Heavenly – Johnny Mathis