• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

serious question: is a city councilor-sponsored prayer session at the police district HQ a violation of any church/state separation laws?

serious question: is a city councilor-sponsored prayer session at the police district HQ a violation of any church/state separation laws?

Back in Alabama I would frequently go to county council meetings (we were trying to pressure the county into doing a better job with stray dog animal control because >1000 per year were being euthanized) and they would start every meeting with a prayer but would call it an "Invocation" on the agenda to skirt any legal issues. It really pissed me off but I was more concerned about all the dead dogs so I never said anything.

Back in Alabama I would frequently go to county council meetings (we were trying to pressure the county into doing a better job with stray dog animal control because >1000 per year were being euthanized) and they would start every meeting with a prayer but would call it an "Invocation" on the agenda to skirt any legal issues. It really pissed me off but I was more concerned about all the dead dogs so I never said anything.

gotta say the Pledge, too. my first job outta school was a newspaper reporter covering Forsyth County/Cumming, GA gov't, and later the city of Duluth. Prayer ("invocation") and pledge every time. I think Duluth once had a rabbi probably as a way of seeming fair and balanced, but Cumming sure as hell wouldn't.

Protests against euthanizing stray dogs yet cheers on a woman's right to choose an abortion???

Makes perfect sense on the Tunnels.

Can't have those stray fetuses (fetii??) roaming the streets of birdman's neighborhood!!!!

Protests against euthanizing stray dogs yet cheers on a woman's right to choose an abortion???

Can't have those stray fetuses (fetii??) roaming the streets of birdman's neighborhood!!!!

So dumb.

Your analogy indicates you want all the stray dogs roaming your neighborhood with no limits. No dog catcher to get them. No vet to give care. Rabies? Not your problem.

Well, the whole "choice is wonderful except for women" thing really triggered you.

I was actually there trying to get the county to commit funding to a subsidized low cost spay and neuter program for low income residents, you know, to stop the dog fetuses from even forming. I do not believe in a dog's right to choose because they are dogs and not especially adept at making decisions. And, I was not "protesting"; we'd formed a not-for-profit dog rescue organization that shipped animal control dogs to Pennsylvania and NY, but the overpopulation of dogs was overwhelming and spay and neuter programs were necessary. So, I was there working on policy initiatives to fix a problem.

I don’t know why you respond with a serious post, the majority of what he posts is almost as complete and utter nonsense as TheReff’s most recent opinion letter on Covid vaccines.

That angus post was one of the dumbest things I've ever read. He tries so hard to be clever

I don’t know why you respond with a serious post, the majority of what he posts is almost as complete and utter nonsense as TheReff’s most recent opinion letter on Covid vaccines.

I'm stuck trying to get a randomized annual reduction in waterflow function running in a simulation model for fish populations in dessert streams in the southwest. The function I have drafted is occasionally generating negative values in the simulations which crashes the whole replicate because you can't stick a negative number generated here into the subsequent Bernoulli trial function based on a binomial probability distribution. I am trying to avoid reworking this whole section of the code, by tweaking and retweaking the water loss equation and in my frustration I came over here and wrote a serious response to Angus. Mea aculpa.

I figured it out! Just a couple simple if statements fixed it. Thinking about Alabama dog fetuses really cleared my mind and I was able to see the solution!

Them dogs just need to be made t' l'arn 'bout two parent famblies.

'N abstinence.

“Thinking about Alabama dog fetuses” is one of the great phrases on these boards.

5-AB15-ABB-212-A-43-EF-86-D9-09302700-FEE3.jpg

Back