• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

It’s just biff and Biden and Chris Cuomo now on team gov Cuomo

April of 2020 was a scary time to be a human and, in America, we needed some semblance of leadership. Cuomo gave daily press briefings, and acted like a serious adult when we were (most of us) scared and uncertain. Turned out to be all bullshit be we needed reassurance and the façade of stability. Kind of like George Bush grabbing the mega phone on the rubble pile at ground zero, the man was an idiot and way out of his league and they used the event to gin up a war in Iraq 2 years later, but he acted like he knew what he was doing and it was comforting for a time. Cuomo played that role, almost exactly, for many of us and it was very comforting. It's natural to contrast that with Trump, because he was really the person that should have been grabbing the megaphone and reassuring the population but instead he fucking postulated about injecting people with bleach and made us all so much more fearful about how out of control everything was. I am not defending Cuomo, I am defending people that gravitated toward him during a total leadership vacuum at a time when leadership was desperately needed.

April of 2020 was a scary time to be a human and, in America, we needed some semblance of leadership. Cuomo gave daily press briefings, and acted like a serious adult when we were (most of us) scared and uncertain. Turned out to be all bullshit be we needed reassurance and the façade of stability. Kind of like George Bush grabbing the mega phone on the rubble pile at ground zero, the man was an idiot and way out of his league and they used the event to gin up a war in Iraq 2 years later, but he acted like he knew what he was doing and it was comforting for a time. Cuomo played that role, almost exactly, for many of us and it was very comforting. It's natural to contrast that with Trump, because he was really the person that should have been grabbing the megaphone and reassuring the population but instead he fucking postulated about injecting people with bleach and made us all so much more fearful about how out of control everything was. I am not defending Cuomo, I am defending people that gravitated toward him during a total leadership vacuum at a time when leadership was desperately needed.

Pretty much.

Heart warming to know birdman and Connor were comforted during the daily press briefings last year when Cuomo "acted like a serious adult" at the time by mandating state nursing homes had to accept COVID positive patients.

And then attempted to cover it up by purposely undercounting thousands of deaths. Oh and while writing a book touting his leadership dealing with the crisis.

That's some serious adulting, right there.

Last edited:
Good post, birdman.

Heart warming to know birdman and Connor were comforted during the daily press briefings last year when Cuomo "acted like a serious adult" at the time by mandating state nursing homes had to accept COVID positive patients.

And then attempted to cover it up by purposely undercounting thousands of deaths. Oh and while writing a book touting his leadership dealing with the crisis.

We could just continue to support him like you continue to support a treasonous, rapist, corrupt, racist narcissist. Would that be better?

I'm sorry, birdman, I love you, but I disagree.

Cuomo has always shown us who he is, a corrupt politician in the most politically corrupt state government in the union, given completely uncritical and undue airtime from his familial connections to his brother, given party preference for his place in government because of who his father was, and really, he was gonna skate for his nursing home murder scheme until Dems had no choice but to turn on him for being a (long known and acknowledged) serial sexual harrasser. If Trump continues to be the ethical bar to clear for the Dems (or the media) what kind of path are we on as a country? I get that people were looking for responsible leadership and not finding it in the President, but it was irresponsible to rely on Cuomo, whose NY Covid outcomes were downright awful, just because he was comfortable and calm on tv.

I'm sorry, birdman, I love you, but I disagree.

Cuomo has always shown us who he is, a corrupt politician in the most politically corrupt state government in the union, given completely uncritical and undue airtime from his familial connections to his brother, given party preference for his place in government because of who his father was, and really, he was gonna skate for his nursing home murder scheme until Dems had no choice but to turn on him for being a (long known and acknowledged) serial sexual harrasser. If Trump continues to be the ethical bar to clear for the Dems (or the media) what kind of path are we on as a country? I get that people were looking for responsible leadership and not finding it in the President, but it was irresponsible to rely on Cuomo, whose NY Covid outcomes were downright awful, just because he was comfortable and calm on tv.

Sure, I can see a lot of that now and it's a bit embarrassing that I found him appealing in the spring of 2020. But for most of us, I don't and did not follow New York politics or the Cuomo Family before he started those daily briefings. Like, I don't know who the Governor of Illinois or Massachusetts is and what their track record is on corruption or sexual harassment or anything, but if last year at the end of March one of them started giving serious and informed sounding daily briefings about the COVID situation, I would have listened because there was a definite need to see someone as being in charge and in control of the evolving disaster.

You've spent the past few weeks attacking Democrats for doing nothing about Cuomo, even though nearly everyone here has called on him to quit and almost no one has defended him since these charges became public. You then ridiculed board posters as "toothless" and said their calls for Cuomo to resign were insincere. Now that he's resigned - mainly because a Democratic AG investigated the charges against him and found them to be true, and a Democratic state legislature was likely going to remove him from office - you've switched gears again and are now acting as if everyone who said something nice about Cuomo before these charges came out should be ridiculed (by you, of all people). And all of this is coming from someone whose party has done nothing - nada - about Trump's multiple accusations of sexual assault and harassment, and nothing about the charges against Matt Gaetz or a number of other Congressional Republicans.

Explaining a phenomenon isn't an endorsement.

Thanks, but I am admitting that I fell into the trap. My wife was really the one that brought me to it. She was pretty despondent at the start of all this mess and would listen to Cuomo every day.

Instead of condemning people who don’t follow the intricacies of what’s been going on in Albany and found Cuomo appealing for a point in time, it would be helpful to understand that appeal and duplicate it with quality people.

Instead of condemning people who don’t follow the intricacies of what’s been going on in Albany and found Cuomo appealing for a point in time, it would be helpful to understand that appeal and duplicate it with quality people.

Or another takeaway might be once in a blue moon to listen to left activists who warned against Cuomo in the primary.

In sincerity this is why centrist think tanks like Third Way exist, to absolutely ensure that no matter the outcome Democrats never learn from their mistakes or blame themselves.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Or another takeaway might be once in a blue moon to listen to left activists who warned against Cuomo in the primary.

Again you’re criticizing people for not paying attention to NY politics. People weren’t ignoring left activists. Hell plenty of people in NY probably didn’t follow the NY Governor primary.

People around the country were living their lives with no reason to care about Albany until NY state politics became a national story. Expecting random left leaning Americans to have a full dossier on Cuomo in April 2020 is ridiculous.

That kind of political elitism is far too common on the left. If you’re not following every little news story everywhere in the country, your opinions shouldn’t matter and you’re not in the club.

Meanwhile, the far right celebrates lack of political engagement and just welcomes people in regardless of their starting point. Democrats and progressives need more of that.

Last edited:
Back