• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Does anyone else feel like the liberals have lost? From gerrymandered state houses that pass draconian laws, a conservative supreme court with a super majority and the inability of senate and house democrats to take action. Like it feels like its over man.

Yeah. It wouldn't feel like it if all this had happened with Republicans in charge in Washington because it would feel like change is an election away. But Democrats are in charge and just won't protect us from this onslaught of conservative bullshit.

Does anyone else feel like the liberals have lost? From gerrymandered state houses that pass draconian laws, a conservative supreme court with a super majority and the inability of senate and house democrats to take action. Like it feels like its over man.

I felt that after 2016 and then the 2018 and 2020 elections happened. How quickly we forget the stacked deck that was overcome in taking back the Senate last fall.

I felt that after 2016 and then the 2018 and 2020 elections happened. How quickly we forget the stacked deck that was overcome in taking back the Senate last fall.

Nobody forgets because Republicans are stacking the deck even more in response.

Nobody forgets because Republicans are stacking the deck even more in response.

Correct. They have to cheat to win, and it is clearly working. Dems need to play dirtier, but won't, mostly because the old guard is weak and Manchin and Sinema suck donkey balls.

Manchin wants to 'hit the pause button' on the infrastructure bill. He's apparently worried Congress might get something done. Also cited 'lots of other things on our plate right now'. Go on...

Yeah over 40 dead due to flooding in the NE, much of Louisiana wit hot power due to the same weather system, and the entire West on fire. Nothing that can be done.

Almost 20 years later, do you feel safer than you did in the aftermath of 9/11?

20 years ago I was moderately afraid of a terrorist attack.

Nowadays I am way more afraid of an angry white dude with a lot of guns having a bad day.

20 years ago I was moderately afraid of a terrorist attack.

Nowadays I am way more afraid of an angry white dude with a lot of guns having a bad day.

Yep. Especially if you have kids in a public school pretty much anywhere in the country.

Between Progressive and New Liberal. Closer to Progressive.

The demographics are interesting. Progressives are fairly similar to the general population with respect to having a college degree at 43% compared to 42% in general. Slightly more white (64%) and slightly less Hispanic (13) and just as Black (13%). Slightly more Northeast (20%) and West (25%) and slightly less South (34%). The big difference is 60% women and 25% earn over $100K.

New Liberal is only 50% White and disproportionately Black and Hispanic (20% each).

Quiz: If America Had Six Parties, Which Would You Belong To?

Probably requires NYT subscription. Twenty questions.

New Liberal Party pour moi.

New Liberal as well. Seems accurate.

See you at the potluck.

7MZYX1w.png

With that many parties, could anyone forge a working coalition in the House that had a majority of the votes? Or would it look like the dysfunctional governments in Italy and Israel? Nobody in those countries can keep a majority in the legislature, so under their rules, a new election happens.

Back