• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I don’t think I’ve ever thought of LA as being that smoggy any more but maybe I’ve just had good luck on all my visits.

there's also just an incredible amount concrete and cars. like more than you can even imagine

LOL I'm sure Biff has convinced himself that this is a bit, but we're seemingly a few years away from another board heel turn

I don’t know about cost of new construction in LA, but I’m sure there are plenty of vacant units/hotel rooms.

In most places it’s actually cheaper to house people than it is to cycle them through ERs and jails and provide services.

eh, construction is ridiculously expensive in California and there are a lot of pretty easy reforms that could pass to streamline that process a lot and decrease construction costs

Beyond aesthetic whining, the bigger issue in LA (and Cali more generally) is the utterly stupid system of governance that evolved in the 70s and legacy policy like Prop 13 that really screws the ability of the state

it's really hard to get anything accomplished because of the degree of fragmentation

LA is a hard place to visit, admittedly, but it's an incredible city. I honestly feel pretty bad for anybody who spends time actively hating LA because of RJ or that time you and your family got stuck in traffic on the Santa Monica pier or Universal City.

It's easily a top-5 US city by any measure, but especially food, nature, and general variation in neighborhood cultures, etc.

I didn't love it at first, but it's a great city. It's just difficult to visit and a lot of the people who live in places that tourists visit are some of the worst humans on Earth.

LA is a hard place to visit, admittedly, but it's an incredible city. I honestly feel pretty bad for anybody who spends time actively hating LA because of RJ or that time you and your family got stuck in traffic on the Santa Monica pier or Universal City.

It's easily a top-5 US city by any measure, but especially food, nature, and general variation in neighborhood cultures, etc.

I didn't love it at first, but it's a great city. It's just difficult to visit and a lot of the people who live in places that tourists visit are some of the worst humans on Earth.

nature?

LA has a really famous river so

nature:

LDN-L-LARIVER-SFV-0729-03-1.jpg

i guess we could start with: is there a better urban park than Griffith Park? Or, hell, Kenneth Hahn Park? Maybe Forest Park up in Portland, but I kinda don't think there is.

LA County is gigantic, so we've also got more variation in types of nature that you could ever want - beaches (Malibu down through Long Beach), high deserts (Mojave), mountains (Santa Monica, San Gabriel, etc.), national forests (Angeles), etc.

and if you count the bigger metro area/region as LA, then you get the OC beaches, Joshua Tree, Los Padres

If you're interested in infrastructure and revitalization efforts, then the LA River is actually pretty cool. It looks like that in a lot of parts of LA because the city drove it underground to preserve property values in the early 20th century, but there are increasingly places (google Ballona Creek Wetlands) where architects and planners are restoring it.

there aren't many places like LA on Earth

it's almost like if NC's geography fit into a county (+ desert/better weather)

we've got plenty of anonymous sprawl for Biff, some beautiful outdoors ITC, lots of great media studies esoterica for Kory, etc.

strick triggered today

it did get its own Grand Theft Auto setting, so it's got that going for it

nah i know a little bit about the LA river project and am completely serious when I say that it's a really interesting river

I liked San Fran better than LA if we're ranking Cali cities, and San Diego was my favorite.

It's actually great because I have no interest in returning to LA ever again and I don't have to worry about Schtickland33 coming to Charlotte.

Back