• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Interrupting the pile on to say how the fuck is the house passing decriminalization of marijuana not a bigger deal? Needs to be hammered that only three republicans voted yes as well.

Its the 2nd time they've passed it. But Schumer is a clown and wants to pass his own version so he's never brought it to a vote in the senate. And also doesn't have the votes for his own version.

Last edited:
*chefs kiss*
Its funny because the person who relayed those experiences is a lifelong friend who is almost assuredly in a lower economic class than just about anybody who posts on this board.

People game systems. I am sure i would in the same circumstances.

Last edited:
Its funny because the person who relayed those experiences is a lifelong friend who is almost assuredly in a lower economic class than just about anybody who posts on this board.

People game systems. I am sure i would in the same circumstances.

Who typically gains the most from gaming the system?

Who typically gains the most from gaming the system?

Certainly the uber wealthy. But that doesn't mean much to some ordinary worker just trying to get his job done to go home being at the crosshairs of a bunch of other people trying to game the system.

And alot of companies brought this stuff on themselves with the way they treated workers. I get that.

Certainly the uber wealthy. But that doesn't mean much to some ordinary worker just trying to get his job done to go home being at the crosshairs of a bunch of other people trying to game the system.

And alot of companies brought this stuff on themselves with the way they treated workers. I get that.

The worker is in the crosshairs of the bosses, not his fellow workers trying to organize for better working conditions.

Class analysis is hard

Societies across space and time consistently attempt to establish a permanent underclass to keep a small group rich and a larger group comfortable. The analysis is pretty straightforward once you understand that.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Societies across space and time consistently attempt to establish a permanent underclass to keep a small group rich and a larger group comfortable. The analysis is pretty straightforward once you understand that.

There are a few underclasses in the US, imo.

When I teach class, it’s a function of relations between people and racial stratification systems, wealth/income, and property, which create a lot of different types of underclasses, many of which contradict each other in important ways.

No doubt. Keeping different lower class groups in conflict is a way to make sure that underclass is permanent.

I've been actively fighting for a union with other Pitt graduate students for more than 3 and a half years - happy to address any specific questions but it looks like this convo went south

Have you considered that your union might make you lazy and a bad worker and make Pitt close down their grad programs.

And what's your long-term fingernail fashion plan?

...right to work state...

DoubleSpeak.gif

And what's your long-term fingernail fashion plan?

Please tell me this is a reference to 2&2’s classic rant that he doesn’t like to hire young women because they don’t tell him they’re going to have babies and don’t come back from maternity leave.

Discussion of unions always seems to ignore that workers are often being taken advantage of and just devolve into the discussion of the abuses by union members that wind up costing companies millions of dollars. Unions spend an inordinate amount of time advocating for the most lazy intentionally incompetent employees, who straight up deserve to be fired. If unions told these abusers to fuck off because they've violated their obligation to provide quality work product they'd regain public trust.

Also, unions are a mafia conduit.

Discussion of unions always seems to ignore that workers are often being taken advantage of and just devolve into the discussion of the abuses by union members that wind up costing companies millions of dollars. Unions spend an inordinate amount of time advocating for the most lazy intentionally incompetent employees, who straight up deserve to be fired. If unions told these abusers to fuck off because they've violated their obligation to provide quality work product they'd regain public trust.

Also, unions are a mafia conduit.

This is all I was really trying to say. Unions aren't able to do what they are meant to do, and just end up dealing with the bullshit.

Companies can go from being #1 in the world at what they do (not saying who), to dropping drastically when unionized.

Another company nearby employed 6700 employees. There were some safety issues, which, granted, needed to be addressed, but when they unionized, all 6700 employees were out of a job within a year.

It just sucks that it can't function the way it's supposed to and help those that are truly suffering from a) unsafe and impractical working conditions and b) legitimate discrimination or harassment issues.

Not all unions are the same, and not all companies are the same. But in my only experience (albeit second-hand, though how can someone criticize the word of their own kin), it has not been a good situation.

I hope those that were so quick to fight understand what I meant now. I could go on and on with legitimate examples from someone in-the-know, but that's not going to convince anyone of anything. So let's just drop the issue and admit there are two sides to every situation.

tqXvr9x7_t.jpg

So instead of fixing problems a business owner just folded the company. You can’t blame the union for that. Blame incompetence and/or greed because some asshole couldn’t run a business without abusing workers. Stop scapegoating unions.

You’re presenting one side of the situation to blame the other side. The stories you tell that you think are sympathetic to ownership and management show how businesses aren’t worth owning if they can’t abuse labor.

Last edited:
Back