• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

stop making me watch and listen to things ON YOUR EYEBALL-BASED WEBSITE, journalists

He has had every opportunity to move up, and they've basically begged him to. He doesn't want to deal with even more paperwork and scheduling and that kinda stuff than he already has to. They use Kronos for time-keeping and apparently it's been down for like a year or something so all time-coding is done by hand and then will have to be corrected retroactively and stuff like that.

He isn't "against the workers", he's "against" the time-wasting 'human brain farts' that I mentioned before who are not in any way respectable employees. (That can't be fired). He absolutely LOVES some of his team-members...the ones that work.

He would also give up his almost 30 years of seniority with things like vacation time, mandated weekend shifts, certain overtime benefits change etc... (which hey, maybe the union could fix!...probably be a little down the line with all the other things on their plate). I admit to not knowing all of the ins and outs of why he doesn't move up in the company. But he has his reasons.

The plant is surprisingly very race/class/gender diverse, for what you'd expect a truck-building plant to be.

ETA: The plant shutting down thing is just his estimate based on the way things are going currently.

They flatter him because he's the hardest worker any of them have ever met. He gets up at 4am, goes in an hour and a half early to make sure he's caught up before the team meeting at the beginning of the day. He stays late, he works when they need him. He worked 27 days straight late last year, and that's just one instance of that kind of thing. He is the embodiment of work ethic. He's not just workin for the 'atta boys' from his bosses. He works because he was taught it's the right thing to do. He just wants to do his job, get it done, and go home to his family. Whether he has to do 3 other peoples' jobs to get that done or not. He's one of those guys that will probably die 2 years out of retirement because he just doesn't know what to do with himself.

He's not this pencil pushing middle-management white guy who's just in the boys club making fun of all the feeble worker types just trying to eek out a living wage.

He's an honest, hard-working, outstanding employee who will do anything to get his job done to the best of his abilities.

But I'll just let you guys think what you want. He's out to keep the good folk from safely and healthily earning a living wage.

Their scheduling system has been down for a year and the haven’t fixed/replaced it? Are we sure this place is being run well?

Exactly. Stuff like that convinces me that there are plenty of management problems that need to be addressed that probably contribute to worker issues.

If there are folks who will work for free 27 days straight to patch all the holes and do the jobs of multiple people then why change anything?

Not to knock OP’s dad at all, work ethic and owning your shit can be a rare art and the world would be a better place if it was not. But if they let the place get to a point that it can’t function without him duct taping it together that is a bad business model.

Unfortunately in our society, there is not a better overlap between people with money and people who can competently own a business.

Catching up on this now, I remember discussion after Amazon fired this guy, so did a quick search:

Zapolsky’s notes from the meeting detail Amazon’s plan to deal with a wave of bad press and calls for investigations from elected officials following the firing of Smalls. They also show top Amazon brass wanted to make Smalls the focus of its narrative when questioned about worker safety.

“We should spend the first part of our response strongly laying out the case for why the organizer’s conduct was immoral, unacceptable, and arguably illegal, in detail, and only then follow with our usual talking points about worker safety,” Zapolsky wrote. “Make him the most interesting part of the story, and if possible make him the face of the entire union/organizing movement.”

lol

If these anecdotes are to be believed, a drunk driver struck another human with a deadly weapon, causing severe injury and disability. How was this guy fighting for his job rather than his freedom?

Legal actions were taken, I, unfortunately, do not know the outcome of those actions, we all know courts/lawsuits can take a while to be resolved.

Part of becoming an adult is the realization that our parents are not infallible. They are humans and make mistakes just like anybody else. They can be affected by conscious and unconscious bias. I’m sure your dad has good intentions for his employees, but he is also somebody who is part of a system and society that at every turn devalues manual labor. The fact that he blames the union for his company’s woes and doesn’t place any responsibility on the (largely white, largely middle and upper class) management is indicative of some unconscious bias.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps assuming he "devalues manual labor". If anything he not only is a model example of a manual laborer, but he expects the same from his coworkers. It's the ones I'm referencing that don't seem to "value manual labor".

Also management at his place of work is about 60% Black, a lot of you are making large assumptions based on your own biases or expectations.

Workers unions are responsible, at least in part, for pretty much all non-racial civil rights progressive achievements in America. On the whole they have been really good for demanding and achieving worker safety standards, worker pay, reasonable work week hours and days, and a whole host of other stuff. Sure a few bad workers are protected in the process, oh well. On average though, Union workers are trying to get what they deserve from the companies they work for and the companies are trying to take everything they can get away with from their workers.

Pickle, It sucks that your dad has a few shitty employees that he can’t fire, but remember that the company agreed to the union contract in the first place and has their own hiring process that failed to scrutinize employees before they were hired. That sounds to me like a problem with the company and not the union. Your dad is misplacing blame, but it’s understandable because it also sounds like your dad was left to deal with the consequences of bad upper level management decisions. They agreed to union contract and they set the hr hiring practices in place, and now your dad is left with bad employees that he can’t fire. That is a management problem, not a union problem.
I have said, multiple times I believe, that at their best, unions are essential and when engaged properly are absolutely beneficial to both sides. Also, hiring procedures do little to weed out those who will show up for work drunk, refuse to wear safety equipment as to not affect their artificial fashion choices, those that will sneak off for a little nookie, those that will abuse the days off/write-up policy wherein they are fired after 3 write-ups for using more than their allotted 10 PTO days, only to be rehired on appeal, and proceed to do the exact same thing, in effect getting 30-40 paid days off (or more), disproportionately more than those that follow rules, or those that will refuse to wear helmets after previous incidents have almost scalped someone.

The last is a situation where the union was needed to change safety procedures, where unions serve their purpose, I'm not against them as a whole

Their scheduling system has been down for a year and the haven’t fixed/replaced it? Are we sure this place is being run well?

Exactly. Stuff like that convinces me that there are plenty of management problems that need to be addressed that probably contribute to worker issues.

It's an issue with the scheduling software nationwide, or regionally, not sure which. It's not just a product of their site or their management...again, more assumptions/bias.

If there are folks who will work for free 27 days straight to patch all the holes and do the jobs of multiple people then why change anything?

Not to knock OP’s dad at all, work ethic and owning your shit can be a rare art and the world would be a better place if it was not. But if they let the place get to a point that it can’t function without him duct taping it together that is a bad business model.

Not that you, or anyone, has asked, but he works weeks at a time without days off because he gets paid well in terms of OT, double time, triple time, etc etc. It is not necessarily required to keep the whole place from imploding in on itself. He works because that's who he is. He's taken 1 sick day in 30 years because that's who he is. Not because he is the only thing keeping the doors open, though he is the key reason his team/group stays up with the rest of the plant.

Now...I'm done with this topic. I came on here because it said "Political Chat Thread, All topics & Rants Welcome".

I guess this entire thing could have been prevented by semantically changing the initial post from "hating unions" to "hating the way workers at his plant abuse the union".

My mistake.

Carry on, I'm out.

at.gif

I mean…

Not that you, or anyone, has asked, but he works weeks at a time without days off because he gets paid well in terms of OT, double time, triple time, etc etc. It is not necessarily required to keep the whole place from imploding in on itself. He works because that's who he is. He's taken 1 sick day in 30 years because that's who he is. Not because he is the only thing keeping the doors open, though he is the key reason his team/group stays up with the rest of the plant.

Your dad has an extremely unhealthy work/life balance.

I can understand the basic celebration David vs. Goliath thing, but what are the issues? Just watching the coverage of this not once have I heard any specific complaints other than general broad generalizations. Maybe a look at safety etc. but I know pay is competitive and the benefits as well. What are the u ionizer looking to accomplish other than to just Be Unioned.

One of the lead organizers was fired for speaking out about and protesting unsafe working conditions after he was exposed to COVID at work and not notified.

So protection against that would be a start.

I mean…

The rapidly growing open, proud, and aggressive homophobia of the GOP was both inevitable and easy to see coming. And it's only going to get worse, especially if the GOP, as expected, does well in the polls this November. Democrats need to drag themselves to the polls by every means possible, but we'll see if they can overcome their usual drop-off in a midterm election after a Democrat is elected POTUS, as in 94, 2010, and 2014.

I have said, multiple times I believe, that at their best, unions are essential and when engaged properly are absolutely beneficial to both sides. Also, hiring procedures do little to weed out those who will show up for work drunk, refuse to wear safety equipment as to not affect their artificial fashion choices, those that will sneak off for a little nookie, those that will abuse the days off/write-up policy wherein they are fired after 3 write-ups for using more than their allotted 10 PTO days, only to be rehired on appeal, and proceed to do the exact same thing, in effect getting 30-40 paid days off (or more), disproportionately more than those that follow rules, or those that will refuse to wear helmets after previous incidents have almost scalped someone.

The last is a situation where the union was needed to change safety procedures, where unions serve their purpose, I'm not against them as a whole

Hiring procedures absolutely can detect people that are prone showing up to work drunk or sneaking off to bone in the broom closet. Try check references? Look at employment history? For example, I have been involved in the hiring of about 20 academic professionals in my 12 year career and not a single one has ever come into work drunk.

Also how the fuck does a union contract not include the ability for the company to fire some one for those safety violations? That is terrible management to agree to that contract.

It really is astounding that OP keeps revealing increasingly hilarious details about how poorly managed this company is yet continues to blame the union for every problem there.

One of the lead organizers was fired for speaking out about and protesting unsafe working conditions after he was exposed to COVID at work and not notified.

So protection against that would be a start.

Seems like more of a lawsuit vs. a systemic need for a union.

Seems like more of a lawsuit vs. a systemic need for a union.

The need for legal representation is a systemic need. A union can secure better legal services than an individual worker.

we still out here pausing student loan repayments another 6 months?

Back