• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

need confirmation from ChrisL if this fits “Horseshoe Theory”

I just thought I'd add that the "media black out" part of the tweet was not the reason I posted the tweet. I thought readers here would be interested in the link between this disaster and the congressionally cancelled strike this past winter. Rail workers were looking for more time to take sick leave and had safety concerns related to over working staff.

you're more mad at humans for what they find interesting than the situation, IMO
Again, I think inferring that a lack of media coverage proves a lack of interest, is a delusion. Even were that the case, manufactured consent machine go BRRR

Yeah people don’t care about most things, school shootings, climate change, toxic chemicals, and so forth.

So, in theory, NPR and PBS should be outside of this business model. And while I was wrong about the timing of NPR's first mention of the derailment that organization is still under reporting this fiasco. It's not even mentioned in the 11 am top of the hour news headlines today, but they did take time to highlight Nikki Haley's presidential campaign announcement, Mike Pence refusing to testify before a grand jury, a bus crash in South Africa and the US Capitol Architect being fired.

The 11 am news headline is to tell people about what happened in the last few hours not what happened on February 3. NPR devotes between the hours programming to ongoing concerns.

i'm just kinda confused here

mdmh, you don't seem naive enough to actually believe this gripe

why the f would a media sponsored by capital care about unfortunate consequences caused by capital that disproportionately affect people in a region of the US that capital famously abandoned and left with far bigger environmental catastrophes than this one?

(and like Kory said - support independent media, who is talking a lot about this)

i'm just kinda confused here

mdmh, you don't seem naive enough to actually believe this gripe

why the f would a media sponsored by capital care about unfortunate consequences caused by capital that disproportionately affect people in a region of the US that capital famously abandoned and left with far bigger environmental catastrophes than this one?

(and like Kory said - support independent media, who is talking a lot about this)
I don’t really understand this argument from you few. I have never predicted that the major media would act in our best interest, to the contrary, I have theorized why they don’t. My argument is that media coverage isn’t an honest reflection of public interest. I actually think you all are being naive to a point in setting your expectations for media coverage in terms of supply and demand. Both the supply and demand in this context are extremely conditioned.

Our society has conditioned literally every preference we have. Our main goddamn “preference” for politicians is their “electability” and no one even knows what the fuck that means!

Our society has conditioned literally every preference we have. Our main goddamn “preference” for politicians is their “electability” and no one even knows what the fuck that means!
in the national election for the presidency, the better looking person always wins. At least in the past 30 years.

Who disagrees with your theory that media coverage isn't an honest reflection of public interest?

Who disagrees with your theory that media coverage isn't an honest reflection of public interest?
How else am I supposed to interpret the 4 different people on this thread making 2nd hand observations that “people don’t care”. Those are just correlative assumptions that because the media hasn’t been thoroughly covering the event, that there must not be any demand for it. I disagree with that.

in the national election for the presidency, the better looking person always wins. At least in the past 30 years.
Plama mic dropping the scorching hot take that donie jenius is hotter than hillary. Unexpected for sure but you do you bro.

The 11 am news headline is to tell people about what happened in the last few hours not what happened on February 3. NPR devotes between the hours programming to ongoing concerns.
Meh, the other items in the update were related to the Turkey Earth quake which happened a week ago and a bus crash that happened yesterday in South Africa. They very easily could added 15 seconds to say the chemical fire started by an Ohio freight train crash two weeks ago continues to burn this morning as residents are increasingly reporting illness and breathing problems.

Back