• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

How else am I supposed to interpret the 4 different people on this thread making 2nd hand observations that “people don’t care”. Those are just correlative assumptions that because the media hasn’t been thoroughly covering the event, that there must not be any demand for it. I disagree with that.

b/c our media promotes things that people like to read/hear about

i'm just kinda confused here

mdmh, you don't seem naive enough to actually believe this gripe

why the f would a media sponsored by capital care about unfortunate consequences caused by capital that disproportionately affect people in a region of the US that capital famously abandoned and left with far bigger environmental catastrophes than this one?

(and like Kory said - support independent media, who is talking a lot about this)
Not sure about this.

b/c our media promotes things that people like to read/hear about
No offense but I think that’s a lazy oversimplification. Media is a condition, and the amount of control that people have over that condition is negligible to none. There is a stack of pending civil litigation against every major social media service and ISP based on that very premise.

No offense but I think that’s a lazy oversimplification. Media is a condition, and the amount of control that people have over that condition is negligible to none. There is a stack of pending civil litigation against every major social media service and IP based on that very premise.

it's not - the vast majority of non hyper-local media is a for-profit advertising business masquerading as a social good.

You are redefining terms to suit your argument. Media is absolutely a condition, and access to that media is tightly controlled. Newscorp is to media what Nestle is to water.

Meh, the other items in the update were related to the Turkey Earth quake which happened a week ago and a bus crash that happened yesterday in South Africa. They very easily could added 15 seconds to say the chemical fire started by an Ohio freight train crash two weeks ago continues to burn this morning as residents are increasingly reporting illness and breathing problems.

So you’re mad that reporting that rescue efforts have halted in an earthquake that killed over 40,000 and a bus crash that happened yesterday superseding reporting on this rail crash from last week in a 60-90 second update.

I’m grateful for the independent reporting but much of it is speculative. It’s useful speculation but I don’t necessarily want to see a panel of 8 yahoos on CNN spouting worst case scenarios about this either.

Last edited:
You are redefining terms to suit your argument. Media is absolutely a condition, and access to that media is tightly controlled. Newscorp is to media what Nestle is to water.

even more to my point, then. newscorp pumps out what people want to read about so they see more ads

So you’re mad that reporting that rescue efforts have halted in an earthquake that killed over 40,000 and a bus crash that happened yesterday superseding reporting on this rail crash in a 60-90 second update.
I'm not mad. I am just suggesting that it is evidence that the events in Ohio are being under reported even by non-corporate nonprofit new agencies.

Also, it was a 4.5 minute update and 60 seconds were allocated to a bus crash in another country. That one is really confusing to me.

even more to my point, then. newscorp pumps out what people want to read about so they see more ads
As I said, I believe the naïveté is thinking of media coverage in terms of supply and demand without condition. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree.

@Robert M. Pirsig in your opinion why did the media fail to uncover George Santos’ lies prior to the election when they were so blatant? It was a congressional election in a well covered area and he was a major candidate?

I'm not mad. I am just suggesting that it is evidence that the events in Ohio are being under reported even by non-corporate nonprofit new agencies.

Also, it was a 4.5 minute update and 60 seconds were allocated to a bus crash in another country. That one is really confusing to me.

It’s weird to call recency bias in news “under-reporting.”

Seems like there’s been so much “why aren’t they reporting about this” that now everyone knows about it and it’s over reported. The EPA says it’s safe!

@Robert M. Pirsig in your opinion why did the media fail to uncover George Santos’ lies prior to the election when they were so blatant? It was a congressional election in a well covered area and he was a major candidate?
imo the Santos thing is more on the local DNC and Zimmerman's campaign since literally local media was pubbing stories on the dude in Sept.

"why didn't the NYT/CNN report this" probably has a few answers - but the rhetoric around that question/desire for national media to endorse a story with coverage over independent/citizen journalists is really more interesting to me

Back