• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

“It’s too political!” cry the people who politicize everything from bathrooms to beer
The State of the Union has actually been used for presidential campaign purposes several times. One of the most famous is Truman's 1948 State of the Union speech, which was also very partisan, very feisty, and was deliberately used by Truman to set the tone for his 1948 presidential campaign. A lot of Congressional Republicans complained then about how overly partisan it was - but Truman won the election.

Thanks for responding. Do you mean should as in, "with this performance, I expect him to win," or "with this performance, it is preferable/right that he should win?"

I think your response is helpful for me to understand how significant the SOTU was or how much bump he might actually receive.

Is there anything that could happen between now and November that would compel you to vote for Biden (esp. understanding your connection to how he has handled Gaza)
Absolutely; what I mean with this performance I expect him to win. I expect him to win because in my mind the monkey is off his back and I believe he can do the job. And with that the focus should be on his competition, Donald Trump who is a total piece of shit and the Republican Party just off the rails, platform wise and in endorsing such a POS. Does Biden “deserve” to win, absolutely not. For a number of reasons in my mind but primarily his handling or lack of handling the Gaza situation. In my opinion this is the worse matchup of Presidential talent in my lifetime and likely in history. But as they say, it is what it is. Just glad living in SC there is no gun to my head to participate, so I don’t foresee anything changing before November.

Absolutely; what I mean with this performance I expect him to win. I expect him to win because in my mind the monkey is off his back and I believe he can do the job. And with that the focus should be on his competition, Donald Trump who is a total piece of shit and the Republican Party just off the rails, platform wise and in endorsing such a POS. Does Biden “deserve” to win, absolutely not. For a number of reasons in my mind but primarily his handling or lack of handling the Gaza situation. In my opinion this is the worse matchup of Presidential talent in my lifetime and likely in history. But as they say, it is what it is. Just glad living in SC there is no gun to my head to participate, so I don’t foresee anything changing before November.
Even though I voted for one of them both times and the other neither time, my favorite presidents in recent years have been George W. Bush and Barack Obama. Both had their flaws/strengths and you can argue their policies all day, but at least I think they were both public servants at heart, and truly believed in the collective strength of the American spirit. We've lost that in very short order.

Even though I voted for one of them both times and the other neither time, my favorite presidents in recent years have been George W. Bush and Barack Obama. Both had their flaws/strengths and you can argue their policies all day, but at least I think they were both public servants at heart, and truly believed in the collective strength of the American spirit. We've lost that in very short order.

Are you saying Bush is a better public servant and believes in America more than Biden?

Are you saying Bush is a better public servant and believes in America more than Biden?
Only saying that I felt comfortable with both Obama and W at the helm for their 8 years, and not so much the last two who have been in charge.

Whoa no way. Never would’ve guessed that

lol Biden’s been a senator serving the public for a thousand years but sure, just now as president he has decided to stop that and no longer believes in the collective American spirit. weird post.

lol Biden’s been a senator serving the public for a thousand years but sure, just now as president he has decided to stop that and no longer believes in the collective American spirit. weird post.
Good luck finding a "collective" American spirit that encompasses both the Biden and Trump camps, given that the country today is roughly 50% in either direction.

Good luck finding a "collective" American spirit that encompasses both the Biden and Trump camps, given that the country today is roughly 50% in either direction.
Is that really any different than the W and Obama years (minus the period immediately following 9/11)?

People may be surprised that in addition to being entirely performative, she was also full of shit.

I'm glad he clarified it.

May be an image of 2 people, drink and text that says 'When the couple that has been buying you drinks all night start giving you this look....'

Back