• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

So even though the Intifada sometimes includes terrorist attacks against Israelis it's not anti-Semitic ? I guess you know better, but I wouldn't want to be sitting at a cafe in Tel-Aviv next to a guy with C-4 taped to his body telling me about how the Intifada isn't anti-Semitic.

Tbf, I can’t imagine anyone would want to sit next to a guy with C4 strapped to them in a cafe regardless of the city.

I mean, Americans fetishize our own Revolutions and Civil Wars. Intifada just means revolution/uprising and, in Palestine, it’s got the added connotation of liberation from occupying powers. You’d think Americans could sympathize.

How about "From the river to the sea" ? Good ?

Seems to me that means that Palestine will occupy all of that land with no Jews.

Reasonable concerns for safety from a Columbia student/former Israeli soldier, or Gen Z snowflake ?

How about "From the river to the sea" ? Good ?

Seems to me that means that Palestine will occupy all of that land with no Jews.
you're gonna be shocked when you look at how Israel (or any country, really - see mdmh's post) talks about its territory

spoiler alert: they use almost verbatim language lol

i don't think it means what you think it means

Reasonable concerns for safety from a Columbia student/former Israeli soldier, or Gen Z snowflake ?

this guy is just unhinged, i'm sorry

i know people who know him, and they say that he's been trying to get fired so he can cash out on the reactionary media circuit

i wouldn't take anything this guy says seriously without downing an entire shaker of salt

this guy is just unhinged, i'm sorry

i know people who know him, and they say that he's been trying to get fired so he can cash out on the reactionary media circuit

i wouldn't take anything this guy says seriously without downing an entire shaker of salt

The letter from the student, not the Twitter poster/Columbia prof.

I am no expert on the historical context of the slogan so this point may be moot, but FWIW the Jordan river does not go all the way down south along the eastern border of Israel.

So occupy the whole area between the oceans with a few Indian reservations (Manifest Destiny) is the same thing as what Hamas is saying ?
I couldn’t begin to unpack this statement. Jesus fuck you are a million miles away from reality.

I think it’s fucking insane that an IDF veteran,a foreign.military., believes that others free speech, in America, should be curtailed to protect him from criticism of his foreign.military.service. what in the fuck? Why? the IDF is not a goddamn religion! It’s fucking insanity the levels to which we here in America will conflate Israeli nationality to religious identity. They aren’t the same. Judaism is not a fucking shield that will protect someone from criticism of Israel, nor should it be.

I think it’s fucking insane that an IDF veteran,a foreign.military., believes that others free speech, in America, should be curtailed to protect him from criticism of his foreign.military.service. what in the fuck? Why? the IDF is not a goddamn religion! It’s fucking insanity the levels to which we here in America will conflate Israeli nationality to religious identity. They aren’t the same. Judaism is not a fucking shield that will protect someone from criticism of Israel, not should it be.

Okay, so no expectation of safety on a college campus for a college student who is paying $90,000 to attend school there and the campus has been overrun by god knows what kind of dipshits, many of whom aren't even students there, and are chanting Hamas slogans at him.

If you went abroad for a semester would you expect some shithead local to scream "DEATH TO AMERICA !!!" at you every time you stepped out of your dorm room ?

Okay, so no expectation of safety on a college campus for a college student who is paying $90,000 to attend school there and the campus has been overrun by god knows what kind of dipshits, many of whom aren't even students there, and are chanting Hamas slogans at him.

If you went abroad for a semester would you expect some shithead local to scream "DEATH TO AMERICA !!!" at you every time you stepped out of your dorm room ?
Sorry biff I don’t subscribe to this pussy triggered participation trophy generation bullshit where college students should be protected from the consequences of their own actions, actions like actively and proudly participating in a genocide. I’m sure this Columbia student is much happier being screamed at in America than his corpse laying zip tied up in a mass grave under a bombed out hospital in Gaza.

Well, I subscribe to the idea that college presidents should favor their own students over trespassers.

The letter from the student, not the Twitter poster/Columbia prof.
I have a couple of colleagues who teach at Columbia who aren't particularly partisan one way or another and who have told me that almost all of the anti-Semitic incidents have occurred from groups not affiliated with Columbia. By their accounts, the on-campus encampment and on-campus student organizations that are participating are not anti-Semitic. Somewhat ironically, the histrionics around anti-Semitism and the legitimately anti-Semitic incidents are both being driven by people and orgs that are unaffiliated with Columbia.

(Conversely, two Israel Columbia students who are also IDF Veterans physically assaulted student protesters on camera by shooting them with modified bear spray, and nothing has happened to them.)

Back