• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bipartisan Farm Bill Expected to be Passed in the House

H. L. Menchen at his best, or worst.

http://www.bizbag.com/mencken/menkfarm.htm

….LET the farmer , so far as I am concerned, be damned forevermore. To Hell with him, and bad luck to him. He is a tedious fraud and ignoramus, a cheap rogue and hypocrite, the eternal Jack of the human pack . He deserves all that he ever suffers under our economic system, and more. Any city man, not insane, who sheds tears for him is shedding tears of the crocodile.

No more grasping, selfish and dishonest mammal, indeed, is known to students of the Anthropoidea. When the going is good for him he robs the rest of us up to the extreme limit of our endurance ; when the going is bad be comes bawling for help out of the public till. Has anyone ever heard of a farmer making any sacrifice of his own interests, however slight, to the common good ? Has anyone ever heard of a farmer practising or advocating any political idea that was not absolutely self-seeking–that was not, in fact, deliberately designed to loot the rest of us to his gain? Greenbackism, free silver, the government guarantee of prices , bonuses, all the complex fiscal imbecilities of the cow State John Baptists–these are the contributions of the virtuous husbandmen to American political theory. There has never been a time , in good seasons or bad, when his hands were not itching for more; there has never been a time when he was not ready to support any charlatan, however grotesque, who promised to get it for him. Only one issue ever fetches him, and that is the issue of his own profit. He must be promised something definite and valuable, to be paid to him alone, or he is off after some other mountebank. He simply cannot imagine himself as a citizen of a commonwealth, in duty bound to give as well as take; he can imagine himself only as getting all and giving nothing.

Would be great if we could ease the difficulty for farmer's markets getting snap approval. A free way to increase the quality of life and health of those who need the help.

Between this and the new tax laws for nc, farmers markets are getting more difficult for farmers to participate in. It's very frustrating.

I just got two circulars from farmers' markets here in OC. I grant you they have buildings, but each shows that they take Amex, Visa/MC and EBT (food stamps)as payments.

My guess is farmers in a lot of states could take food stamps if they take other credit cards.

It's not that simple. You have to become certified and have to have permanent locations. The quickest I have seen someone go through the process if 2 months. Most that I talk to take up to 6 months. Then some farmers refuse to do it because they think it's an unnecessary handout. I had one farmer today tell me that no one in nc took ebt or snap, which is a lie but he was convinced of it

….LET the farmer , so far as I am concerned, be damned forevermore. To Hell with him, and bad luck to him. He is a tedious fraud and ignoramus, a cheap rogue and hypocrite, the eternal Jack of the human pack . He deserves all that he ever suffers under our economic system, and more. Any city man, not insane, who sheds tears for him is shedding tears of the crocodile.

No more grasping, selfish and dishonest mammal, indeed, is known to students of the Anthropoidea. When the going is good for him he robs the rest of us up to the extreme limit of our endurance ; when the going is bad be comes bawling for help out of the public till. Has anyone ever heard of a farmer making any sacrifice of his own interests, however slight, to the common good ? Has anyone ever heard of a farmer practising or advocating any political idea that was not absolutely self-seeking–that was not, in fact, deliberately designed to loot the rest of us to his gain? Greenbackism, free silver, the government guarantee of prices , bonuses, all the complex fiscal imbecilities of the cow State John Baptists–these are the contributions of the virtuous husbandmen to American political theory. There has never been a time , in good seasons or bad, when his hands were not itching for more; there has never been a time when he was not ready to support any charlatan, however grotesque, who promised to get it for him. Only one issue ever fetches him, and that is the issue of his own profit. He must be promised something definite and valuable, to be paid to him alone, or he is off after some other mountebank. He simply cannot imagine himself as a citizen of a commonwealth, in duty bound to give as well as take; he can imagine himself only as getting all and giving nothing.

I don't think that guy has spent much time with farmers. Give him a year on the farm and I bet he would change his tune.

This is why the nomination for both parties goes through Iowa.

Between this and the new tax laws for nc, farmers markets are getting more difficult for farmers to participate in. It's very frustrating.

It's not that simple. You have to become certified and have to have permanent locations. The quickest I have seen someone go through the process if 2 months. Most that I talk to take up to 6 months. Then some farmers refuse to do it because they think it's an unnecessary handout. I had one farmer today tell me that no one in nc took ebt or snap, which is a lie but he was convinced of it

There's another reason as well. Farmers sell for cash at farmers' markets. If they took food stamps, they would have to report 100% of those sales.

What's unfortunately lost in all this debate is an honest discussion about how Americans plan to feed themselves over the next decade, and in the decades to come. Food policy in this country basically looks at food like it hasn't changed in the past 75ish years, which is a fundamental flaw. I recognize the need for a farm bill and what it contains, but the fact that questions like "how do we want to eat as a nation?" don't meaningfully enter the arena while spending $1 trillion is very sad.

There's another reason as well. Farmers sell for cash at farmers' markets. If they took food stamps, they would have to report 100% of those sales.

That's becoming difficult in nc due to tax law changes. It will be especially hard in 2014 when markets have to obtain all vendors ein numbers and report them. There are other major tax changes occurring.

In CA, you pay for your space and then start selling. You have to theoretically report your sales and pay taxes off of them. But it's all cash and no registers. There's no real to track the totals. It's basically the honor system.

I don't think that guy has spent much time with farmers. Give him a year on the farm and I bet he would change his tune.

A-frickin'-men. So would all the extreme gun-control nuts. I can't decide who frustrates me more. The so-called conservatives who want to rape the planet for a buck and launder hate into some sort of tea party manifesto. Or the so-called liberals who want to take away our rights and money and pass them all around as life-participation trophies. There used to be other options.

That's becoming difficult in nc due to tax law changes. It will be especially hard in 2014 when markets have to obtain all vendors ein numbers and report them. There are other major tax changes occurring.

steppin on toes

ejumv.AuSt.156.jpeg

What's unfortunately lost in all this debate is an honest discussion about how Americans plan to feed themselves over the next decade, and in the decades to come. Food policy in this country basically looks at food like it hasn't changed in the past 75ish years, which is a fundamental flaw. I recognize the need for a farm bill and what it contains, but the fact that questions like "how do we want to eat as a nation?" don't meaningfully enter the arena while spending $1 trillion is very sad.

Agree with this and think this is a huge Segway into a discussion about health policy. We eat terribly (especially the lower economic segments ) and thus our health is bad. Mississippi poverty is only dwarfed by its obesity. Our poor spend $8 on a mcdonalds value meal when they could buy a box of noodles and cook a meal for .20. It is maddening.

My farm employees eat fried chicken from the gas station at least 2 times a week and I eat peanut butter and jelly or a lunch meat sandwich I make from home.

How the working class eats is so much more important to their overall well being than the amount of money they have to spend in order to eat.

I say all of this not to point and judge but in order to lament. I am not sure what to do about it. I talk to my guys about it in an almost daily basis. They all smoke and eat terribly and them wonder why they have heart conditions at the age of 45 and have no expendable cash when they spend 1k or more on cigarettes each year. Just makes me sad.

Agree with this and think this is a huge Segway into a discussion about health policy. We eat terribly (especially the lower economic segments ) and thus our health is bad. Mississippi poverty is only dwarfed by its obesity. Our poor spend $8 on a mcdonalds value meal when they could buy a box of noodles and cook a meal for .20. It is maddening.

My farm employees eat fried chicken from the gas station at least 2 times a week and I eat peanut butter and jelly or a lunch meat sandwich I make from home.

How the working class eats is so much more important to their overall well being than the amount of money they have to spend in order to eat.

I say all of this not to point and judge but in order to lament. I am not sure what to do about it. I talk to my guys about it in an almost daily basis. They all smoke and eat terribly and them wonder why they have heart conditions at the age of 45 and have no expendable cash when they spend 1k or more on cigarettes each year. Just makes me sad.

My wife and I are trying hard to make sure our kids don't make the same dietary mistakes we made. We pack very healthy lunches for them, that are easily cheaper than just letting them buy lunch at school. Every lunch includes a PB&J (thank goodness my kids still like that), fresh fruit, sugar free juice or milk, and a salty snack (pretzels, chex mix, trail mix, etc...). The only time we eat "fast food" is when we are on the road (driving to ATL to see the in laws). We've reduced our eating out to once a week in recent years. Our youngest was brought up on organic veggies and will eat just about anything. The middle child is a picky eater, but he loves things that happen to be cheap and can be healthy if prepared properly (chicken, pasta, green beans, peas). We haven't bought a can of veggies in over 3 years. Only fresh produce or flash frozen produce with no preservatives.

The amount of money we've saved just from these changes is a pleasant surprise.

Edited to add that I travel a lot and eat like shit on the road. One of my "resolutions" this year is to cut out fast food when I travel for work and try to stay in more extended stay type hotels that have in room kitchens (Homewood Suites FTW) so I can cook a meal for myself in the evening.

It's 2014 and cell phones process CC's...I can't find a farmer's market in a any urban area I've visited that is cash only. Hilarious that CA is so far behind the times...

Last edited:

I think he has a point about the massive industrialized farming industry, and while that's the majority of farming production/money in America these days, it's not at all a picture of the farmers I know, most of whom a very involved in political/social causes of providing good/healthy food to people, often at tiny margins, because it's something they believe in. None of them are rich by any stretch of the imagination. They get no help from the gov't and aren't sitting around complaining about it, instead partnering with and starting non-profits to educate people on food and help feed the poor. All while taking CC's at the farmer's market. :thumbsup:

It's 2014 and cell phones process CC's...I can't find a farmer's market in a any urban area I've visited that is cash only. Hilarious that CA is so far behind the times...

I've visited farmer's markets in CA when I am out there on extended trips, and every single vendor was setup with a method to process credit cards.

My wife and I are trying hard to make sure our kids don't make the same dietary mistakes we made. We pack very healthy lunches for them. The only time we eat "fast food" is when we are on the road (driving to ATL to see the in laws). We've reduced our eating out to once a week in recent years. Our youngest was brought up on organic veggies and will eat just about anything. The middle child is a picky eater, but he loves things that happen to be cheap and can be healthy if prepared properly (chicken, pasta, green beans, peas). We haven't bought a can of veggies in over 3 years. Only fresh produce or flash frozen produce with no preservatives.

The amount of money we've saved just from these changes is a pleasant surprise.

My wife and I don't go crazy over organic (although we do eat it when we can) and still eat veggies out of a can a lot just because we don't have a whole lot of options in a small town when the veggies or fruit are out of season. The main thing is to NOT eat fast food. You almost have to try to be unhealthy if you are eating at your house every night. I bought some porkchops for $3/pound, made some ready frozen mash potatoes and some frozen spinach the other night and fed 6 people for about 14 bucks. Getting value meals at McDonalds would have cost us 45. Took about 30 minutes total from the time I fired up the grill.

It is a lifestyle choice, and I honestly don't know how to address that nationwide. I know how to eat cheap and healthy because that is how my parents raised me. By just cutting out one restaurant meal a week you can save $1500-$2000 a year. That is crazy.

My wife and I don't go crazy over organic (although we do eat it when we can) and still eat veggies out of a can a lot just because we don't have a whole lot of options in a small town when the veggies or fruit are out of season. The main thing is to NOT eat fast food. You almost have to try to be unhealthy if you are eating at your house every night. I bought some porkchops for $3/pound, made some ready frozen mash potatoes and some frozen spinach the other night and fed 6 people for about 14 bucks. Getting value meals at McDonalds would have cost us 45. Took about 30 minutes total from the time I fired up the grill.

It is a lifestyle choice, and I honestly don't know how to address that nationwide. I know how to eat cheap and healthy because that is how my parents raised me. By just cutting out one restaurant meal a week you can save $1500-$2000 a year. That is crazy.

I made chicken fried rice at home last night. Total cost was about $10. Fed all 5 of us, plus a guest and had leftovers for today. Would have cost $40+ to go out and eat something like that and it would have had 3 times the oil and sodium in it.

These are good anecdotes about doing what you can to save money and eat better, but when you're spending $1 trillion, you need to have discussions about macroeconomics, health policy, the sustainability of industrial agriculture model in general, and nutrition education at the ground floor of public schools. Americans have an addiction to cheap food (not just fast food, processed food, etc.), and the price we pay for that (or, rather, don't pay) has a very serious ripple effect.

There's not much you can do about it by just saying "do better." That's why you need policy and forethought on a generational scale -- clearly lacking in the farm bill because it's a part of political football.

These are good anecdotes about doing what you can to save money and eat better, but when you're spending $1 trillion, you need to have discussions about macroeconomics, health policy, the sustainability of industrial agriculture model in general, and nutrition education at the ground floor of public schools. Americans have an addiction to cheap food (not just fast food, processed food, etc.), and the price we pay for that (or, rather, don't pay) has a very serious ripple effect.

There's not much you can do about it by just saying "do better." That's why you need policy and forethought on a generational scale -- clearly lacking in the farm bill because it's a part of political football.

Michelle Obama got ridiculed by some Republicans for having the audacity to suggest this.

Michelle Obama got ridiculed by some Republicans for having the audacity to suggest this.

I don't understand why she gets hated on for the Let's Move campaign other than hate itself. Isn't making better lifestyle choices for health an extension of the personal responsibility that Pubs always advocate for? How is that any different from a public figure advocating financial literacy education for kids?

Not trying to derail the thread, just thought all that salt was misplaced.

Back