• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bipartisan Farm Bill Expected to be Passed in the House

Trademark application filed.

For some communities, the issue with healthy food is not just the cost, but the accessibility. One of the people CNN celebrated as one of their "Heroes" this year focused on this problem by bringing fresh produce to areas in Charlotte:

Creating an oasis in a Southern 'food desert'

Food deserts are a huge issue. In may 2013 the USDA changed their definitions. In one county that I work with the number went from 4 to 9 with the new definitions. I think Winston has 30+ food deserts with the new definitions. To really hit home with all the wfu grads, did you know that the area surrounding campus on polo rd and university parkway is in a food desert?

Honestly, the new definitions are much better than the old ones. I talked to those that handle this for the USDA and they feel that the new definitions give a better picture of food scarcity.

Awareness of food deserts is growing. 2 years ago when I would send out publications referencing food deserts it was very frequent that someone would tell me that it should be dessert because you eat a dessert and a desert is void of water. In the past 6 months I have not gotten an email of this sorts. Instead now I'm getting emails of how can I help.

Reactions: ONW
Food deserts are a huge issue. In may 2013 the USDA changed their definitions. In one county that I work with the number went from 4 to 9 with the new definitions. I think Winston has 30+ food deserts with the new definitions. To really hit home with all the wfu grads, did you know that the area surrounding campus on polo rd and university parkway is in a food desert?

Honestly, the new definitions are much better than the old ones. I talked to those that handle this for the USDA and they feel that the new definitions give a better picture of food scarcity.

Awareness of food deserts is growing. 2 years ago when I would send out publications referencing food deserts it was very frequent that someone would tell me that it should be dessert because you eat a dessert and a desert is void of water. In the past 6 months I have not gotten an email of this sorts. Instead now I'm getting emails of how can I help.

First paragraph: nobody at Wake notices it cause they all have cars or friends with cars, and Daddy pays for the gas (and the meal plan). God help us if any WFU student had to get on public transportation to get a grocery store, there would be an uprising.

Third paragraph: :rulz:

In Ireland I lived in a food desert. I had to ride the bus 30 minutes to get to a grocery store.

ETA: autocorrect changed it to dessert.

What would Barrack be as the equivalent of the first lady be called? First sir?

I need to trademark it before 2016.

how the fuck can't you spell the president's name right?

anyone heard of the book "eat on the wild side?" i'm reading ti now, and it's pretty interesting. takes on how centuries of agriculture have done a great job of making fruits and veggies taste great, easier to farm, easier to transport, and way less nutritious. it also gives advice on what's best to buy at the grocery store, at the farmer's market, and what to grow in your own garden to maximize nutrition as well as certain prep and storage tricks to maximize nutrition.

Sounds like one of my favorite books on food, "How to Pick a Peach"

rj seriously killing it on this thread. go michelle, its your birthday.

Dougie.gif

Pretty sure I saw a gang sign in there.

It's actually the international symbol for a minimum wage increase.

Wait, the areas of Polo and University surrounding campus are food deserts? Is this more of a proximity or access issue? There are grocery stores within a mile of those areas.

Wait, the areas of Polo and University surrounding campus are food deserts? Is this more of a proximity or access issue? There are grocery stores within a mile of those areas.

There are five criteria that determine that you are in a food desert. Up until may 2013 it was one criteria and that was distance to a grocery. In may they brought in the variables of access to transportation, reliance on public transportation, and income levels into the criteria which have a better picture of food access. The problem with polo road and university is that outside of the wfu students it is VERY low income and filled with a lot of section 8 housing.

It's also based off of census tracts. So the criteria is applied by census tract and then the census tract is identified as a food desert.

This bill is a fucking joke.

It's the equivalent of credit default swaps.

Last edited:
Back