• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bipartisan Farm Bill Expected to be Passed in the House

Michelle Obama got ridiculed by some Republicans for having the audacity to suggest this.

Yeah, politics. Not productive. :rulz:

The "Let's Move" stuff is a nice try, but I'm talking cooking classes, complete revamp of school cafeterias, etc. Life skills in nutrition and economics should be on the same level as any other basic subject in school from a very young age. These aren't quick fixes and would take institutional overhaul, but we don't live in the 20th century anymore and need to prepare for the realities of this one.

The "Let's Move" stuff is a nice try, but I'm talking cooking classes, complete revamp of school cafeterias, etc. Life skills in nutrition and economics should be on the same level as any other basic subject in school from a very young age. These aren't quick fixes and would take institutional overhaul, but we don't live in the 20th century anymore and need to prepare for the realities of this one.

Could not agree more. This would be part of my dream educational overhaul. We need to start teaching the values and information that actually help people lead a healthy productive life.

And that's what her program has done. Childhood obesity rates are dropping. It's still bad but is getting better.

And that's what her program has done. Childhood obesity rates are dropping. It's still bad but is getting better.

Is there any evidence that her program is the cause of this?

rj, surely you're not ascribing the drop in the childhood obesity rate to "Let's Move," right?

I'd honestly be interested to see if there's any data on whether Let's Move has had an appreciable effect on child health on a large scale.

I'm spitballing, but I'd wager that the greatest tangible benefit of "Let's Move" is awareness, which is no small thing.

rj, surely you're not ascribing the drop in the childhood obesity rate to "Let's Move," right?

I'd honestly be interested to see if there's any data on whether Let's Move has had an appreciable effect on child health on a large scale.

I'm spitballing, but I'd wager that the greatest tangible benefit of "Let's Move" is awareness, which is no small thing.

Families can't afford to eat out as much as they used to.

For some communities, the issue with healthy food is not just the cost, but the accessibility. One of the people CNN celebrated as one of their "Heroes" this year focused on this problem by bringing fresh produce to areas in Charlotte:

Creating an oasis in a Southern 'food desert'

A recent study from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte confirmed her impressions. It showed that more than 72,000 low-income city residents, many of them minorities, lived in "food deserts" -- areas without a supermarket with fresh food nearby. They also faced a greater risk of cardiovascular disease and premature death.

Access to fresh food is an issue for many communities throughout the United States. According to the Department of Agriculture, nearly 10% of the U.S. population lives in low-income areas more than a mile from a supermarket.

How are these kids going to pass their math and reading standardized tests if they're learning about cooking and household economics and things they'll need to live?

How are these kids going to pass their math and reading standardized tests if they're learning about cooking and household economics and things they'll need to live?

With the model we have now? They probably won't. But that's because we're incrementally changing a 100-year-old model of public education to meet modern needs with very little funding.

I mean, let's be honest, they weren't going to pass those standardized tests anyhow.

(Agree that testing isn't the answer.)

It absolutely had an impact. Remember, it has gotten the NBA, NFL and others to do massive ads about it.

It's not all of it, but it has definitely had played a sizable part in the trend.

LOL. After 5 years, all of Obama's problems are Bush's fault, but Michelle was able to reverse the epidemic of childhood obesity with a few commercials and campaigns in less than 4. Guess we elected the wrong Obama.

And actions have been taken because of it. Remember funding has also been made available for local gardens and other factors.

I've visited farmer's markets in CA when I am out there on extended trips, and every single vendor was setup with a method to process credit cards.

I kind of figured they were...they just don't post those silly little CC stickers on their booth because everyone under 60 just expects it.

With the model we have now? They probably won't. But that's because we're incrementally changing a 100-year-old model of public education to meet modern needs with very little funding.

I mean, let's be honest, they weren't going to pass those standardized tests anyhow.
(Agree that testing isn't the answer.)

After seeing my wife's class quarterly test results last night, I can confirm this. Holy shitballs. And she's a good teacher!

After seeing my wife's class quarterly test results last night, I can confirm this. Holy shitballs. And she's a good teacher!

According to Republicans, she's not.

Yeah, face facts. Your wife is a bad teacher, probably shitty and lazy like her students.

LOL. After 5 years, all of Obama's problems are Bush's fault, but Michelle was able to reverse the epidemic of childhood obesity with a few commercials and campaigns in less than 4. Guess we elected the wrong Obama.

What would Barrack be as the equivalent of the first lady be called? First sir?

I need to trademark it before 2016.

Back