• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

The motto of this board should be "Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely. (Don't Believe Anything You Read Here)."

I think that applies to the internet in general.

Twas stated on this board that the Military Bowl committee didn't like feeling like Wake was trying to force its hand.

This is patently false.

Not only that, but I've never known of a bowl committee being annoyed by teams lobbying to play in their bowls. Bowl committees love feeling the love from teams they're considering.

This is patently false.

Not only that, but I've never known of a bowl committee being annoyed by teams lobbying to play in their bowls. Bowl committees love feeling the love from teams they're considering.

I know what I read. And while I understand you have significant insight into bowl dealings, being lobbied by a big state school and being lobbied by Wake and Vandy are not the same thing.

I'm not speaking to what you read. I'm speaking to the truth of the matter.

tenor.gif

I know what I read. And while I understand you have significant insight into bowl dealings, being lobbied by a big state school and being lobbied by Wake and Vandy are not the same thing.

Just take the L, Biff.

Do a search biff, and you'll probably discover that someone like plama or catamount wrote it.

Lol at "I know what I read". I really hate NuBiff. Probably time for a new user name.

I am excited for Saturday, and I think everyone should be. Its another good opportunity for the football team, and I'm sure the whole team is enjoying their time in Birmingham.

I'm very excited for Saturday. With four games left in the season I didn't give us hardly any chance to make a bowl game and now we have a chance to go out with a winning record and beat a team who played in the AAC title game. Birmingham bowl payout is quite a bit larger than both Shreveport and Detroit

Last edited:
I'm very excited for Saturday. With four games left in the season I didn't give us hardly any chance to make a bowl game and now we have a chance to go out with a winning record and beat a team who played in the AAC title game. Birmingham Bulls payout is quite a bit larger than both Shreveport and Detroit

Is that an arena league team?

I'm not as sold on this being Dortch's last game as some others are. His All American status was based off more of his return skills than his WR skills, he is still only a RS-Soph, his size works against him, and if you do a deep dive into other WRs with his size that were drafted, you see that many played more than 2 seasons and were equally if not more productive. Maybe I am being a bit naive, as I want to keep seeing him play for Wake, but I can only imagine that no decision has to be have been made as of yet. There seem to be strong arguments to both sides.

Henderson not playing is going to really impact the Memphis offense, but maybe there game plan wont change that much? Patrick Taylor Jr. still seems like a solid RB. The bigger issue will be Memphis has to replace both coordinators before the game. The players will be familiar with the interim coach, but will the interim coach have the same focus on passing or blitzing? I am starting to like Wake's chances more and more.

Yes, this is not the most glamorous of Bowl games, but Wake did go 6-6 and we are not the biggest fan base, so we are in Birmingham instead of Charlotte or something. I am just excited for more football, for the chance at a 3rd straight winning season and to watch some more Wake Forest Football. Winter is coming and more football I care about the better.

I'm not as sold on this being Dortch's last game as some others are. His All American status was based off more of his return skills than his WR skills, he is still only a RS-Soph, his size works against him, and if you do a deep dive into other WRs with his size that were drafted, you see that many played more than 2 seasons and were equally if not more productive. Maybe I am being a bit naive, as I want to keep seeing him play for Wake, but I can only imagine that no decision has to be have been made as of yet. There seem to be strong arguments to both sides.

Henderson not playing is going to really impact the Memphis offense, but maybe there game plan wont change that much? Patrick Taylor Jr. still seems like a solid RB. The bigger issue will be Memphis has to replace both coordinators before the game. The players will be familiar with the interim coach, but will the interim coach have the same focus on passing or blitzing? I am starting to like Wake's chances more and more.

Yes, this is not the most glamorous of Bowl games, but Wake did go 6-6 and we are not the biggest fan base, so we are in Birmingham instead of Charlotte or something. I am just excited for more football, for the chance at a 3rd straight winning season and to watch some more Wake Forest Football. Winter is coming and more football I care about the better.

Let's be honest, Charlotte isn't the best bowl destination either. I understand it's convenient for a lot of you guys, but it's super meh. I'd prefer Jacksonville, Nashville, Miami (obvs) or NYC over CLT. It's only clearly better than El Paso as a Tier 1 destination.

Even then, watching Wake play in El Paso would probably be the only reason I would ever go there and there is always a pretty decent opponent.

Let's be honest, Charlotte isn't the best bowl destination either. I understand it's convenient for a lot of you guys, but it's super meh. I'd prefer Jacksonville, Nashville, Miami (obvs) or NYC over CLT. It's only clearly better than El Paso as a Tier 1 destination.

Even then, watching Wake play in El Paso would probably be the only reason I would ever go there and there is always a pretty decent opponent.

If the Deacs ever make the Sun Bowl, I'm in. Having driven through various parts of west Texas and New Mexico that area fascinates me.

I kinda miss the Boise bowl game. Blue field, sometimes snow, decent opponents (maybe?).

I kinda miss the Boise bowl game. Blue field, sometimes snow, decent opponents (maybe?).

For some reason, GT had the 'opportunity' to go there several times.

I went to Boise about 10 years ago on businesss. Went by the stadium and I still have my Boise Broncos hat. It's pretty cool actually.

Back