• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

If the Deacs ever make the Sun Bowl, I'm in. Having driven through various parts of west Texas and New Mexico that area fascinates me.

Yeah. It's a nice area. I've spent plenty of time in northern AZ and NM. I think if we make the Sun Bowl, I'd try to hit up Las Cruces, Tuscon, and Phoenix then head up to Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon. Then head over to Albuquerque and Santa Fe before flying out of Albuquerque. Or reverse it and end up in El Paso. Make a nice week of it.

Last edited:
Got it. I wasn’t following, but it makes sense now.

Someone wrote, “I bet Ron Wellman is shaking in his boots,” and you didn’t know to interpret it as sarcasm? Is that phrase used in any other context besides sarcasm?

Someone wrote, “I bet Ron Wellman is shaking in his boots,” and you didn’t know to interpret it as sarcasm? Is that phrase used in any other context besides sarcasm?

Yeah, in the context of the thread the whole post didn't make sense to me. Why would Wellman be afraid of a series of posts in which the athletic department was being defended? The post still doesn't make sense in the context of the thread, but I now understand what the poster was attempting to convey. You OK with that?

Let's be honest, Charlotte isn't the best bowl destination either. I understand it's convenient for a lot of you guys, but it's super meh. I'd prefer Jacksonville, Nashville, Miami (obvs) or NYC over CLT. It's only clearly better than El Paso as a Tier 1 destination.

Even then, watching Wake play in El Paso would probably be the only reason I would ever go there and there is always a pretty decent opponent.

I think Charlotte is pretty sweet. You get to play a solid SEC opponent at Bank of America Stadium on the same day as the CFP semifinals. The convenience is also a big plus. Overall, I love the Belk Bowl.

og_zps6810a5db.jpg

We are playing pre-Christmas, but noon on a Saturday up against no NFL and no other bowl games isn't a bad spot. I'd think the ratings for that game would exceed many early afternoon kickoffs next week

We are playing pre-Christmas, but noon on a Saturday up against no NFL and no other bowl games isn't a bad spot. I'd think the ratings for that game would exceed many early afternoon kickoffs next week

Seriously. There's really not much to complain about here. Even at 6-6 we got a Saturday game against one of the best G5 teams. It's a chance for a quality win on national TV when people may watch.

Seriously. There's really not much to complain about here. Even at 6-6 we got a Saturday game against one of the best G5 teams. It's a chance for a quality win on national TV when people may watch.

Won't have impact on the 2019 recruiting class, but may have some modest impact with 2020 and 2021 kids. Especially with a win. Three consecutive bowls. Three wins. Come to Wake. Play for a great, winning coach. Help Wake reach the next level of bowls.

I thought we had Henderson back at practice this week. What happened? And what is his injury/issue?

As far as bowl games go, I would like to see Wake play in the Sun Bowl. It is one of the older bowl games, it is against a P5 opponent that we wouldn't typically play. I prefer Wake to play P5 teams in bowl games, so I like the Music City, the Belk, the Sun, even the Independence. I wish we had another bowl game against the Big 12 instead of the Pinstripe Bowl vs. Big Ten. And I don't care if Wake ever goes to the Taxslayer Bowl.

Looks like sunny and low 50's in Birmingham on Saturday. Pretty good day!!

Good weather = lots of points

Whats the word on Dortch? I took wake in the first round of my bowl game pool (its a points pool you draft a team that you think will score the most points and get a 5 pt bonus on top of their scoring should they win.) Took Wake first round pick 6. I loved this game from the shootout potential and the fact that when I have seen both teams play, I have never been impressed with either's Defense.

Back