• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Birmingham Bowl, Deacs vs. Memphis Tigers

A first down.

Memphis had first and goal at the 9 and snapped the ball with 1:20 remaining, :05 on the play clock; if Memphis attempted to run down the clock they could have snapped first down with 1:16 left.

5 seconds of play, WF takes TO #1 with 1:11 left

snap second down, TO, 1:06 left

snap third down, TO, 1:01 left and Memphis attempts the FG

so they would have kicked off with ~57 seconds left, with WF having no TOs remaining

of course the sack Newman took would have created a significantly different vibe, but WF would have still had time

Can we get report on the tailgate/parking situation? Any muggings? Car break ins? Intimidating looks?

The stadium was fine. Frankly, better than led to expect from the previews. Legion Field is in a poorer, rundown area of town but you see that in every city and I never had fear of life or limb. The people we encountered were all very friendly and we enjoyed our time.

Can we get report on the tailgate/parking situation? Any muggings? Car break ins? Intimidating looks?

BHam definitely brought the police force out. I only saw a few shootings and robberies. Cops literally sat with you while awaiting your Uber driver.

I would be quite uncomfortable if the game was at night and you parked somewhere you had to walk. Not an issue though as we ubered in and the game was in the daytime obviously. But the area is rough and the descriptions you read online are mostly accurate.

The people we encountered were super friendly though.

Offshoot question: Yesterday’s coaching performance aside, why is Norvell still at Memphis?

Because of his stupid fake punt and not throwing it into the end zone to win the game, and instead set up for a field goal. T

Grats to the seniors. Part of Wake football history. 3 straight bowls.

bama

The stadium was fine. Frankly, better than led to expect from the previews. Legion Field is in a poorer, rundown area of town but you see that in every city and I never had fear of life or limb. The people we encountered were all very friendly and we enjoyed our time.

great trip to the bowl game, not a Wake graduate but met many good folks at the tailgate. Yep, the area was run down-kinda bombed out looking-thought that gov. money would be better spent in our cities and not on a border wall.

One nice moment at the game was just before kickoff. The sound system was malfunctioning and the microphone for the singer of the national anthem was working on and off, but mostly not. A shame for the young woman as she had a great voice, but after the third time that the microphone stopped working, both sides of the stadium joined in loudly for the last 2 or 3 stanzas. Probably wasn't noticed on the TV but I thought it was great given all the divisiveness these days.

Also a shame because she beat out more than a thousand other contestants to win the chance to sing the anthem and they couldn't even give her a working microphone

The ref’s mic was fucked up or he forgot to turn it on every time. It would always come on toward the end of every explanation

One nice moment at the game was just before kickoff. The sound system was malfunctioning and the microphone for the singer of the national anthem was working on and off, but mostly not. A shame for the young woman as she had a great voice, but after the third time that the microphone stopped working, both sides of the stadium joined in loudly for the last 2 or 3 stanzas. Probably wasn't noticed on the TV but I thought it was great given all the divisiveness these days.

Yes. This. No idea if anyone outside of inside that stadium recognized that.

It's also free to replay on the espn app. I just watched the whole thing again fast forwarding through the commercials

PLVFa.jpg

Back