• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bloomberg blasts intolerance of universities

The guy was given a microphone and a captive audience at an Ivy league commencement ceremony and then proceeds to talk about how conservatives aren't given a chance to speak their mind, especially in ivy league environments.

because conservative-dominated colleges recruit and draw conservative people, and they're usually pretty religiously aligned schools. that's the biggest echo chamber around.

The irony here is that Bloomberg is one of the most liberal conservatives in recent political prominence. This may be the only time right-wingers embrace him because they fuck sure didn't when he was banning large sodas, calling for greater gun control, and reforming the educational system in NYC.

Liberty University and its ilk would never admit or allow atheists to be part of the faculty. I wish there were better political ideology balance in academia, but schools' political leanings are pretty well-known. Cracks me up that Ann Coulter went to law school at Michigan in the '80s and was "shocked" at how liberal it was. Conservatives are absolutely convinced there's a conspiracy against them, but what's the highest rated university in America with a right of center political climate? There's plenty of data out there for people to make informed decisions about political climate if that's their primary selection criteria for college.

Bloomberg may be trying to establish some conservative street cred, but his positions on guns, gays, and big gulps have made him a pariah among conservatives.

These kinds of opinion pieces always crack me up. I've been getting them from family a lot lately about anti-Semitism in the academy.

In short, it's utter bull. Hell, if conservatives had not shot themselves in the head with the social conservatism, obstructionism and bigotry, then we would not even be having this conversation. Even with these developments, this country is still majority moderate-right.

Look at the average elite (or 2nd-5th tier) Econ, Poli ScI/IR, Policy or Management/Business/Medical/Law school/department and tell me that the academy is insufferably liberal. Seriously. (The same goes for anti-Israel departments, btw.)

That heterodox departments and institutions exist is a good thing. It's just a shame that policy is written and implemented by partisan hacks.

I just wish these OWGs with too much money would just quit whining and realize that free speech doesn't just allow Rush and Donald Sterling to say crazy shit. Pendulum swings both ways cuz, yanno, Democracy and freedom and shit. Clearly their interests are fine (even if the presence of individuals with consciences with free speech and academic freedom, and marginality within the realm of "difference-making," may hurt their feelings).

The argument that college students or soon to be graduates should be more open to opinions that run counter to their own is a fine one to make, but this sure is whiny from Bloomberg.

The NYPD's stop and frisk policy wasn't "basically racial profiling" it was wholly racial profiling.

I don't really have a problem with his comments though.

The argument that college students or soon to be graduates should be more open to opinions that run counter to their own is a fine one to make, but this sure is whiny from Bloomberg.

I mean, do you feel like this is not the case? I feel like conservative bunker mentality post-Obama has really served to miscast conservatives as hunkered down victims when they still more or less run the country, make their money relatively unregulated, and control discourse...

Do I feel like what is not the case? I agree with your second sentence.

This all boils down to academic administrations failing to grasp the power of the Internet and PR savvy. We've seen it at Wake over and over the past 5-10 years (they're getting much better, though).

I mean, do you feel like this is not the case? I feel like conservative bunker mentality post-Obama has really served to miscast conservatives as hunkered down victims when they still more or less run the country, make their money relatively unregulated, and control discourse...

Yep. And they've been winning the war on education in K-12 while portraying K-12 as the domain of teachers' unions protecting roadblock teachers and teaching evolution.

The NYPD's stop and frisk policy wasn't "basically racial profiling" it was wholly racial profiling.

I don't really have a problem with his comments though.

The irony here is that stop-and-frisk as a policy found Wilson and Kelling's "Broken Windows" as its inspiration. Wilson, at least, was a legitimate conservative and very much a luminary in the fields of sociology, criminology, political science, and public policy.

i like a good rogoff before work

I wish you'd put a rug on. That noggin of yours is blinding yet illumines little.

...the good poet Wallace Stevens put it best..."it has a dazzle that never lends to clarity."

Actually, that sums up about 97 fucking % of the opinions one finds in this lonely little alcove...

-- insert smiley face emote right here ><

Actually, that sums up about 97 fucking % of the opinions one finds in this lonely little alcove...

Do you think it's a coincidence that this place is so resoundingly liberal? It's not. You're on the wrong board. People aren't buying what you're selling here, recruiting sunshine or regressive rhetoric wrapped up in dimwitted poetry. You aren't clever or interesting, open thesaurus and iambic pentameter be damned.

Back