• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bob Corker Says Trump’s Recklessness Threatens ‘World War III’

Something like the Iran nuclear deal is really something that requires leadership to negotiate. There is no way, in my opinion, the average American, including myself, should be involved in this decision. So Trump is going to throw it to the house, the house and its constituents are going to get whipped by Fox News and Breitbart, and we're going to end up with a rube solution. I'm not saying Trump shouldn't let the house decide, as he is clearly not qualified, but it just sucks that when real political weakness is shown, his base doesn't even see it because they're too busy looking at a shiny nickle, aka his tweets.

Last edited:
I actually think the stratification of intelligent decisions goes senate/house/trump. The majority of congress knows that what they say to get elected is bullshit, it's just pandering to the rube crowd. They have no intention in enacting it and are damn happy when it gets obstructed or the democrats hold a majority. That's why there is so much dysfunction in congress right now. Iran, ACA, border wall, war on Christmas, immigration, and so forth it put out by congress to get elected and Fox News to get clicks and money.

Trump is just the normal dumb old white Fox News viewer that actually believes all the stuff said. So in his mind Iran deal horrible no nuance just good and bad and whatever Fox News propaganda is actually real. Just one of many reasons why him in charge is fucking awful. It's the same reason why he needs to throw out an Obamacare executive order, in his mind it must be stopped at all cost. Also running through all this is the Fox News idea that Obama was pretty much the anti christ and so anything he did must be reverted because Obama equals bad.

Those things are just demonstrably false though. And while I'm not a big fan of a vague, blanket claim that will never be proven like "Trump is unstable," I don't remember books coming out about Obama like The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump where 27 psychiatrists and mental health experts assess a president. You obviously had books by people like Rush, Hannity and O'Reilly with absurd titles, but those guys are entertainers. This is a book written by a guy with a ph.d from Yale and 27 colleagues.

Obama never demonstrated any qualities that would lead one to believe he was unstable, mentally or emotionally. Neither did W. Bush, Clinton, etc. You can agree or disagree with previous presidents' policies, but all modern presidents have at least acted logically, consistently and with a good temperament. Trump exhibited numerous troubling qualities over the last 2.5 years, let alone his whole life. Those should not be ignored just because he won the presidency. In fact, I think there was a moral imperative for educated minds to put on the record some of the biggest concerns they had.

Corker unloads on Trump for trying to ‘castrate’ Tillerson

Corker (R-Tenn.), who publicly laid into Trump earlier this week on Twitter by saying the White House had become an “adult day care center,” slammed the president by saying he was undermining Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and creating scenarios in which the United States might be forced to choose between waging war on North Korea or Iran or allowing those countries to threaten the U.S. with nuclear weapons.

Story Continued Below

“You cannot publicly castrate your own secretary of state without giving yourself that binary choice,” Corker told The Washington Post in an interview Friday. He added that it was the undercutting of Tillerson that he was “most exercised about.”

According to Corker, the secretary was in fact one of Trump’s greatest assets, and had made strides toward improving relationships with other global powers, notably China.

“The greatest diplomatic activities we have are with China, and the most important, and they have come a long, long way,” he said. “Some of the things we are talking about are phenomenal.”

But comments from the White House — including the assertion that Tillerson was “wasting his time” by seeking a diplomatic route with North Korea — hampered efforts to build up U.S. foreign policy, Corker said.

“When you jack the legs out from under your chief diplomat, you cause all that to fall apart,” he said. “Us working with [Beijing] effectively is the key to not getting to a binary choice. When you publicly castrate your secretary of state, you take that off the table.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/13/bob-corker-rex-tillerson-castrate-trump-243771?cid=apn

Trump, Corker feud reignites hours before critical meeting

October 24, 2017 - 09:55 AM EDT
The feud between President Trump and Sen. Bob Corker reignited on Tuesday ahead of the president’s high-stakes meeting with Senate Republicans on taxes.
The fight began when Corker offered a litany of criticisms directed toward Trump in a morning interview on NBC's "Today." The two then battled over Twitter, with Trump accusing the Tennessee Republican of trying to stymie his agenda after Corker said Trump should stay out of the tax-overhaul effort on Capitol Hill.

In an interview with CNN in a Senate hallway shortly after the tweets, Corker escalated his criticism, calling Trump a serial liar, saying he regretted supporting him for president, accusing him of debasing the country and refusing to say whether he trusted Trump with the U.S. nuclear codes.

"Unfortunately I think world leaders are very aware that much of what he says are untrue," he told CNN's Manu Raju. "I don't know why he lowers himself to such a low standard. It debases our country."
Asked if he regrets supporting Trump's 2016 campaign, Corker responded, "Let's just say this: I would not do it again," smiling and grabbing Raju's shoulder.

Corker responded with a quick "no" to a question about whether he considered Trump to be a good role model for children.

Corker also denied that Trump refused to support his reelection bid. He said Trump asked him at least four times to reconsider his decision not to run.

"The president has great difficulty with the truth," he said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/356841-trump-corker-feud-reignites-hours-before-critical-meeting

"Nothing to see here. Move along..."

interesting strategy; does Paul Ryan really want us to look more closely at the shitty tax plan?

I mean it’s hard to argue with what Corker is saying so better to just ignore it.

take home message from that...

the President has a great trouble with the truth.

I mean, it's nice that he's saying it, but hard to give him too much credit when everything he says is obvious to my 8 year old.

Eight years olds might know it, but ~80% of republicans aren't publically acknowledging it. These comments are pretty brutally honest. Wish Corker had the huevos to say this a year ago.

Back