• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bobby Petrino fired after motorcycle accident...with a 25 year old female employee!1!

You only say that because United Nation is already been taken.

haha. Nah he's saying that because Manchester Nation is ambiguous. Might be talking abouT the team of the future... Manchester City!

Love this story. Funny write up in the NY Times on Saturday. Quotes a high school coach in Louisville as well as a some tweets from fromer Atlanta Falcons, "karma is a bitch"

haha. Nah he's saying that because Manchester Nation is ambiguous. Might be talking abouT the team of the future... Manchester City!

You mean that club that is imploding down the stretch? Just checking.

Arkansas Coach Bobby Petrino is widely considered one of the brightest offensive minds in college football. He guided Louisville to the Orange Bowl during the 2006 season, and after a one-year stint as coach of the Atlanta Falcons in 2007, he came to Arkansas and turned the Razorbacks into a national power.

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.
Go to The Quad Blog
Division I-A

This Week's Games
A.P. and Coaches' Polls
Scores: Top 25 | All Div. I-A
Conference Standings
All Div. I-A Teams
Division I-AA

Scores | Teams | Polls
Enlarge This Image

Arkansas State Police
The wreckage of Bobby Petrino’s motorcycle.
Nobody is questioning his coaching acumen, but the Arkansas program has been thrown into turmoil because of his judgment. On Sunday, Petrino, 51, was driving his Harley-Davidson motorcycle on a two-lane road about 20 miles southeast of Fayetteville when he lost control, slid through a ditch and struck tree limbs and a pile of dirt.

Petrino, who was not wearing a helmet, sustained four broken ribs and a cracked vertebra. He told Jeff Long, the Arkansas athletic director, that he was alone at the time of the accident. But on Thursday, shortly before the police report was made public, Petrino told Long he had been driving a passenger, the former Arkansas volleyball player Jessica Dorrell. Dorrell, 25, was recently hired by Petrino as the program’s student-athlete development coordinator.

“In hindsight, I showed a serious mistake in judgment when I chose not to be more specific about those details,” Petrino said in a statement.

Petrino, who is married with four children and two grandchildren, acknowledged an “inappropriate relationship” with Dorrell, and on Thursday night, he was put on paid administrative leave pending review of the circumstances surrounding the crash.

“That’s karma,” the former N.F.L. safety Lawyer Milloy, who played for Petrino in Atlanta, said Friday. Milloy added, “Just because he knows X’s and O’s doesn’t mean he’s a nice person.”

That sentiment has followed Petrino for much of his career.

In 2003, he was hired at Louisville after spending the previous season as Auburn’s offensive coordinator. During his first season with the Cardinals, he secretly met with Auburn officials about replacing Tommy Tuberville, his former boss. Petrino stayed in Louisville and compiled a 41-9 record over four seasons, including a 12-1 mark in 2006.

Louis Dover, who coaches at Seneca High School in Louisville, perhaps best summed up the feelings many people in football have about Petrino. “As a coach, he’s a genius, he’s one of the elite minds,” Dover said. “Personally, well, he’s a good coach.”

Dover said some of his distaste for Petrino stemmed from his treatment of D. J. Kamer, who played for Petrino at Louisville and for Dover at a previous employer, Waggener High School. Kamer told Dover that Petrino tried to persuade him not to attend a friend’s funeral in which he was a pallbearer.

“He was very disappointed D. J. was going to miss practice to go,” Dover said. “He didn’t say, ‘You can’t go.’ He said, ‘I guess you don’t want to play football here.’ ”

Despite his personal feelings, Dover said he knew of people who swore by Petrino once they got to know him. “If he walked to the door to recruit one of my kids, I’d open it,” Dover said, “because he’s a great football coach.”

In 2007, Petrino was hired to coach the Atlanta Falcons. But when the team was 3-10 and the stigma from the Michael Vick dogfighting case still hung over the franchise, Petrino accepted the Arkansas job. His sudden departure and abrasive coaching style rankled the Falcons. Petrino notified his players that he was leaving with a four-sentence letter placed in each locker.

Arthur Blank, the Falcons’ owner, said at a news conference in 2007, “I do feel a sense of betrayal, a sense of trust lost, that was just not right given the circumstances.”

Bobby Petrino attended Carroll College in Helena, Mont., where he played football for his father, Bobby Petrino Sr. He played quarterback and also starred in basketball, earning a spot in the college’s athletic hall of fame.

¶ Mike Van Diest, Carroll College’s football coach, said he had not spoken to Petrino in about 15 years, but he still exchanges notes with Bobby and with Paul Petrino, Bobby’s brother and an Arkansas assistant. “There’s no judgment here,” Van Diest said of Bobby Petrino’s latest problems.
Enlarge This Image

Welsey Hitt/University of Arkansas
Petrino was riding with Jessica Dorrell, a former Arkansas volleyball player.

Interviews, insight and analysis from The Times on the competition and culture of college football.
Go to The Quad Blog
Division I-A

This Week's Games
A.P. and Coaches' Polls
Scores: Top 25 | All Div. I-A
Conference Standings
All Div. I-A Teams
Division I-AA

Scores | Teams | Polls
Enlarge This Image

Gareth Patterson/Associated Press
Petrino was put on administrative leave and the assistant head coach, Taver Johnson, will take over in his absence.
¶ Bob Petrino Sr. is a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame coach who spent nearly three decades as the head coach at Carroll. He is an icon in the Montana athletics community who has lived for many years in the same house in Helena, and he attends church nearly every day.

¶ “He’s revered here, and very justly,” Van Diest said of the elder Petrino. “He’s a gentleman, and he’s a very good football coach. He’s always been a guy I looked up to and had respect for. I always feel good when I see him.”

¶ At Arkansas, many Razorbacks fans have similar views of his son, who has quickly built a powerful program in the ferocious Southeastern Conference. His motorcycle accident and the circumstances surrounding it have made fans uneasy about his future, but it seems that their support for him has not faded.

¶ Greg Watkins Jr., a freshman at Arkansas, said Petrino is adored on campus.

¶ “I couldn’t imagine us getting a replacement that would be able to satisfy the Razorback nation like he has,” Watkins said. “It would be a needle to the heart for sure. Everyone has so much hope in Bobby, so much faith.”

¶ Pictures of Petrino hang in The Catfish Hole restaurant in Fayetteville, where Petrino holds his weekly radio show during football season. Pat Gazzola, co-owner of the restaurant, said that during commercial breaks, Petrino signs autographs for fans.

¶ “We had this mind-set where we didn’t know if we could compete with some of the SEC schools prior to him coming,” Gazzola said. “He’s changed that mind-set, and now we believe we can win.”

¶ Winning has never been a problem for Petrino. The Razorbacks, who will be led by quarterback Tyler Wilson and running back Knile Davis next season, will begin the year with high expectations and, most likely, a top-10 national ranking.

¶ The assistant head coach Taver Johnson, who was hired in January after being an assistant at Ohio State, has taken over in Petrino’s absence. Arkansas fans hope Petrino’s leave will be brief.

¶ Rhonda Carey, who wore Arkansas apparel as she watched a Razorbacks softball game Friday, said that if Petrino had struggled as a coach, “then this would be the chance to get rid of him — but he’s been winning.”

bobbypetrino_easyrider.gif

xxxxx Nation is one of the dumbest things to come out of sport ever. It's so fucking stupid.

sports, not sport. this is a recurring theme of needing to americanize your posts. or "americanise" as you'd probably spell it in merry olde england.

Great quote from one of the links posted earlier:

"8. Dorrell's fiance is Arkansas's director of swimming and diving operations, Josh Morgan.

Morgan is a Florida graduate, which makes this Petrino's first career win over the Gators."

Favorite thing i've seen on the issue:

"First class girl, why was she riding coach?"

The University of Arkansas released the phone records of former head coach Bobby Petrino on Wednesday afternoon.

The records, obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, show Petrino's history pertaining the usage of his university-funded phone. The seven sets of records details Petrino's cell phone usage from Sept. 12 of last year to April 5.

In all, the records consist of 305 pages spanning seven months.

On the day of Petrino's motorcycle crash, April 1, Petrino made eight calls from 6:41 p.m. until 9:44 p.m. on the phone. The crash occurred at 6:32 p.m. according the accident report from the Arkansas State Police.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2012/apr/11/arkansas-releases-petrino-phone-records/

Arkansas Online planning on releasing all 305 pages tomorrow.

Back