• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

Gonna take a break from all the weather forecasting for a minute to talk football.

Lets just say it is going to be windy and rainy during game time (just go with it, I don't want a weather report), I'm thinking ND vs NCSU weather. In sloppy field conditions against a team with a great front, Wake chooses to go with its power running offense, helmed by a 6'4, 240 lb, Jamie Newman. The two QB's were apparently very close skill wise in camp, so not much of a drop off, and Wake can grind out yards with either RB or QB. Bigger QB, able to take a couple more hits, run a more grinding style of offense, and if we need to throw the ball, Newman can still do it. Hartman has been solid so far, but the turnovers scare me, especially if its a sloppy game. Wake has the personnel to throw a Big 10 offense out there on Thursday night, maybe this is the time to use it.

Now y'all can go back to talking bout precipitation.

Florida landfall or government landfall?

I think our offense moves the ball. No big surprise or revelation, but the defense will determine the outcome of this game. If we have more than one turnover, I think we lose. If we force a turnover, I think we win.

And the secondary has been a huge concern of mine for this season, but the group playing the worst so far, IMHO, are the LBs. Could be how they're being utilized, but there have been a lot of bad reads and missed tackles so far. And I think we should send pressure early and often against BC. They need to step up big time...

Gonna take a break from all the weather forecasting for a minute to talk football.

Lets just say it is going to be windy and rainy during game time (just go with it, I don't want a weather report), I'm thinking ND vs NCSU weather. In sloppy field conditions against a team with a great front, Wake chooses to go with its power running offense, helmed by a 6'4, 240 lb, Jamie Newman. The two QB's were apparently very close skill wise in camp, so not much of a drop off, and Wake can grind out yards with either RB or QB. Bigger QB, able to take a couple more hits, run a more grinding style of offense, and if we need to throw the ball, Newman can still do it. Hartman has been solid so far, but the turnovers scare me, especially if its a sloppy game. Wake has the personnel to throw a Big 10 offense out there on Thursday night, maybe this is the time to use it.

Now y'all can go back to talking bout precipitation.

The problem is BC with Dillon and their almost always good OL, is probably even better suited to do that than us. Our run game is RPO based, their's is at times smash mouth. If the weather prohibits much of a passing game, I don't think it benefits us.

While weather forecasts are often wrong, short-term forecasts are typically the most reliable.

According to the most recent forecast, tomorrow at kickoff, it will be mostly cloudy with no rain and 14 mph winds. If that is close to the mark, weather should have no impact on either team's gameplan. That said, BC plan all along was likely a heavy does of AJ Dillon. I like the WF side in the game, but BC has 1 TO so far this year, and WF has 4. If WF turns the ball over more than BC, we lose. If WF turns the ball over a lot more than BC, we lose big.

I think our offense moves the ball. No big surprise or revelation, but the defense will determine the outcome of this game. If we have more than one turnover, I think we lose. If we force a turnover, I think we win....

Sorry but I never get people making the turnover argument. First, what if we force a turnover but have two ourselves? Second, it’s obvious that you always want to win the turnover battle, so why is it ever a key to any game. Doing anything better than your foe could always be a key to any game. Third, we’re not lighting it up this year with respect to turnover margin, but we’re still overcoming those setbacks and winning. With BC that’s a tougher task, but it isn’t like winning or losing the turnover battle definitively decides any outcome. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.

I love what our high-tempo RPO does for our offense

I hate the pressure our high-tempo RPO puts on our defense, particularly when we play a run-focused team who hopes to wear us down in the fourth quarter

I really hope BC does not run 47 plays in the first half as Towson did this past weekend

I love what our high-tempo RPO does for our offense

I hate the pressure our high-tempo RPO puts on our defense, particularly when we play a run-focused team who hopes to wear us down in the fourth quarter

I really hope BC does not run 47 plays in the first half as Towson did this past weekend

I don't see them running that many plays unless we put up as many points as we did against Towson, or we turn the ball over multiple times in the first half.

I don't see them running that many plays unless we put up as many points as we did against Towson, or we turn the ball over multiple times in the first half.

it's hard to get to 47

however, for point of reference, GT ran 42 plays against us in the first half last year in Atlanta (we led 21-13 and it should have been more), then just absolutely wore us out in the second half

Last edited:
13 of BC's 22 starters are Seniors (or RSr). That is a ton in this day and age of college football.

We have 11, which is more than I realized.

This is a team we beat 34-10 last year. Dillon had 15 carries for 43 yards, so maybe Sawvel knows what he is doing. Wake wins this game if we can limit Dillon and force them to throw the ball. The defense is going to win this game. I am confident our offense can score.

FWIW, the line initially moved up to BC minus 6.5, but has since dropped to 5.5. Will be on the Deacs.

This is a team we beat 34-10 last year. Dillon had 15 carries for 43 yards, so maybe Sawvel knows what he is doing. Wake wins this game if we can limit Dillon and force them to throw the ball. The defense is going to win this game. I am confident our offense can score.

BC was breaking in a brand new center and it was Brown's first ACC start and it showed. Seems like we got 'em at a good time.

Hopefully a lot of their struggles was down to us figuring them out, but a couple significant mitigating factors on their end

yeah, if we limit Dillon we win; that is a pretty big if

Dillon's last 7 games from last year:

@UL 272, 4 TDs
@VA 89 (BC won 41-10)
FSU 149, TD (BC won 35-3)
NCS 196, TD
@UConn 200, 2TDs
@Syr 193, 3 TDs
Iowa 157, TD

At 240-245lbs, Dillon is a load with surprising speed to the outside.

Their OL is typical BC....BIG and strong plus their TE is listed at 6-5 255.

Holy Cross blocked 2 punts last Saturday....maybe we can take advantage on special teams.

Holy Cross blocked 2 punts last Saturday....maybe we can take advantage on special teams.

We need to avoid blocking punts at all costs......

We need to avoid blocking punts at all costs......

If BC watched tape from last week, they will be trying to kick out of bounds and not let Dortch get his hands on a punt to return.

In High School, Dillon played against my old school. You think he looks tough to bring down now, you should have seen him running against white New England prep school boys, doubt many of the linemen weighed as much as he did.

Also this is the first time, I've heard of breaking in a new center as a reason a team struggled.

Back