• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

Also this is the first time, I've heard of breaking in a new center as a reason a team struggled.

Really? Centers are kind of important.

Their original starter -- who is now back after the season-ending injury -- was a really good player so the loss was a little more pronounced. And he got hurt late in the game before so the new guy hadn't really had any time to bed in. If you watch the game back you'll see BC struggled mightily with center exchanges

all this hurricane talk is taking away from a true rivalry week preview

$

BC was breaking in a brand new center and it was Brown's first ACC start and it showed. Seems like we got 'em at a good time.

Hopefully a lot of their struggles was down to us figuring them out, but a couple significant mitigating factors on their end

Shoe will be on the other foot with respect to QB. Sam will be starting his first ACC game for Wake. And Wake could have a relatively inexperienced center if Zac Tom is playing there.

Anyone pointing to last year's game is down right delusional and not understanding of FB. 21 of our points came off a pick-6, another INT returned to BC's 2 yard line, and a BC fumble on their own 26 that we turned into a TD. Without those we only win 13-10 against a rookie QB for BC and a RB that had yet become an All-ACC performer.

BC's offense was actually similar to ours last year as it was 2 different seasons from the first half to second half. BC absolutely went on a tear as Brown got the experience later in year and Dillon turned into a beast. They averaged nearly 40 pts./game for 2nd half of season.

The HUGE concern is diff. in Ds. BC returns a lot of experience and All-ACC players at each level of their D, while WF doesn't have that type of talent (or at least not yet recognized as such) and our passing D has clearly been exposed as a potential weakness.

Having said that I really like the fact WF has played a likely bowl team in Tulane on the road with similar size and speed to prepare us, while BC has not been hit with similar size and nowhere near the speed plus they are going on the road. BC has some top notch DBs, but they haven't seen the likes of Dortch and Surrat as well as other weapons out of backfield.

IF the Deacs can control Dillon to around 100 yds. and avoid giving up the big pass plays as we have been prone to do in 1st 2 games AND avoid losing the TO battle I think we win in a nailbiter. But we don't have any room for mistakes, whereas I think BC could overcome some.

Really? Centers are kind of important.

Their original starter -- who is now back after the season-ending injury -- was a really good player so the loss was a little more pronounced. And he got hurt late in the game before so the new guy hadn't really had any time to bed in. If you watch the game back you'll see BC struggled mightily with center exchanges
I remember that being a kinda fluky game. A lot of awkward center exchanges and a couple of the INTs just being BC receivers not catching the ball.

Sorry but I never get people making the turnover argument. First, what if we force a turnover but have two ourselves? Second, it’s obvious that you always want to win the turnover battle, so why is it ever a key to any game. Doing anything better than your foe could always be a key to any game. Third, we’re not lighting it up this year with respect to turnover margin, but we’re still overcoming those setbacks and winning. With BC that’s a tougher task, but it isn’t like winning or losing the turnover battle definitively decides any outcome. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.

Don't really disagree with any of this, just providing an opinion. I basically just think that each team will put points on the board when they touch the ball, which is why I think if we have more than one TO, BC will beat us. If we force a TO, I think we'll win. If it's net zero in the TO battle, I think it comes down to special teams play. Obviously the TO battle is always important, but it's not always as critical depending on the opponent (look at Tulane and Towson so far this year).

The defense has yet to impress this year except for in individual plays. Not sure what we're doing with our scheme, but we need a different game plan going into BC if we want to win, IMHO...

Anyone pointing to last year's game is down right delusional and not understanding of FB. 21 of our points came off a pick-6, another INT returned to BC's 2 yard line, and a BC fumble on their own 26 that we turned into a TD. Without those we only win 13-10 against a rookie QB for BC and a RB that had yet become an All-ACC performer.

I know, right? If you take out our good plays we would have won by a lot less, you idiots.

Only other thought that has been echoed by some already is that Dillon is really good. He can scramble and our LBs have got to keep him bottled up on the outside. If we can't do that, they're going to march down the field on us.

"Originally Posted by saltydeac
I know, right? If you take out our good plays we would have won by a lot less, you idiots. "

Again for those that know football the plays were not so much good plays BUT bad plays made by a rookie QB IN HIS FIRST ACC game and 1st real game in college. Surely you can see how they might be a smidge better now and Brown not as likely to gift us those kind of points. Plus as someone posted earlier Dillon averaged around 150 yards the 2nd half of year against very good Ds.

Again for those that know football the plays were not so much good plays BUT bad plays made by a rookie QB IN HIS FIRST ACC game and 1st real game in college. Surely you can see how they might be a smidge better now and Brown not as likely to gift us those kind of points. Plus as someone posted earlier Dillon averaged around 150 yards the 2nd half of year against very good Ds.

Gonna be tough for us to win, if BC doesn't make any mistakes, because as all serious football knowers know, only rookie QB's making their FIRST ACC starts make mistakes. Considering this is Sam's FIRST ACC start, is it too late to forfeit?

Well we clearly saw how rookie QB play can be for Sam with his own couple of picks one of which was ATROCIOUS and our own Clawson said would never happen again. Again many commented going into our first game on how you expect certain # of dumb/bad plays by rookie QBs, but maybe you have missed that commentary by the whole world whether a HS, college or NFL player playing his first game. Most realize it is part of the territory with a starting QB, but hoping Tulane and last week got him somewhat battle prepared and ready for BC. Brown had only game going into our game last year, whereas Sam has now had 2. Let's just hope Sam doesn't make bad TOs deep in our own territory like Brown did or we will wish we would have forfeited.

Don't really disagree with any of this, just providing an opinion. I basically just think that each team will put points on the board when they touch the ball, which is why I think if we have more than one TO, BC will beat us. If we force a TO, I think we'll win. If it's net zero in the TO battle, I think it comes down to special teams play. Obviously the TO battle is always important, but it's not always as critical depending on the opponent (look at Tulane and Towson so far this year).

The defense has yet to impress this year except for in individual plays. Not sure what we're doing with our scheme, but we need a different game plan going into BC if we want to win, IMHO...

I at least feel better about Hartman’s picks than I did Wolford’s in his first year. In Hartman I’m seeing a bit of a gunslinging mentality that can be corralled (pun intended) whereas Wolford was just running for his life and forced into some very bad throws.

With Wolford’s picks I was thinking, “Our OL is bad, this QB is not going to survive, and I’m not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.” With Sam it’s, “That was bad, but I get what he was going for and he will clean it up.” Night and day.

As for our D generating some turnovers... I don’t see Dillon fumbling but hopefully Brown is not such a world beater that we can’t pressure him into some bad throws.

I know, right? If you take out our good plays we would have won by a lot less, you idiots. "

I think the flaw in your thinking about last year's game is that you ignore the possibility that if you remove the "lucky/first start" turnovers as you claim, WF could have forced a punt and scored a TD or FG on those drives so it's not automatically a loss of 21 pts off the board.

Sam is def in a better position to succeed than Brown was last year. With 5 capable OL starters and especially the weapons he has at his disposal, he is in an excellent position as a true frosh.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he performs very well

Our offense was atrocious in that game and Clawson and gang were incredibly conservative in playcalling. Possibly in large part because they knew they were going against a frosh QB and our D could take advantage of the mistakes, but if you remember that game and our O it is safe to say we wouldn't score if had to drive beyond 50 yards in that game. We had less than 300 yards of O in that game in our other 13 drives, so averaged just over 20 per drive. Their D had us shut down.

Back