• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

You made something out of nothing and tried to turn a throwaway article into some massive critique, then got all #triggered when I pointed that out.

But whatever, doesn't matter. Our performance was certainly worthy of criticism last night, and if we were covered like a bigger program there probably would've been stronger rebukes than that

How? Prove it.

I. It's more than a little disingenuous to make "Ed Hardin doesn't seem to believe Wake's season will be too memorable" the takeaway of that article. Especially when only one sentence of the whole article talks about our season-long prospects, he included a pretty large "might" qualifier in that one sentence and talked a couple times about how BC -- who we only lost to by 7 -- could win the damn league.

II. "And Wake, like Carolina, might be tired of football by the end of the year" is hardly a "gem."

I probably have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to fighting the fight against misinformation, but these are the times we're in

Last edited:
Never been that impressed with Hardin as a sports reporter. Always get the impression he would rather be covering something else. “There is a major hurricane hitting my state and I have to write about a frigging college football game.”

I. It's more than a little disingenuous to make "Ed Hardin doesn't seem to believe Wake's season will be too memorable" the takeaway of that article.

Disingenuous? Ha, no, it's not. Not at all. My description was completely accurate and even uses appropriate terms to "play down" the statement by Hardin: "Doesn't seem to"; "be too memorable". That is precision in descriptiveness and exactly what Hardin was implying. Nowhere did I indicate *anything* like you mischaracterized in your attack post. I did not say the entire article was "about Wake", or that Wake "was slammed". You supplied all that yourself. To attack first and think later or not at all. The comment speaks for itself, which was perfectly measured and accurate.

Especially when only one sentence of the whole article talks about our season-long prospects, he included a pretty large "might" qualifier in that one sentence and talked a couple times about how BC -- who we only lost to by 7 -- could win the damn league.

He talked a lot about the dismal prospects of Carolina and about Wake/BC, then compared our forthcoming season to Carolina's. That might not be significant to YOU, but it usually is to Wake fans when uttered by a W-SJ sports editor.

II. "And Wake, like Carolina, might be tired of football by the end of the year" is hardly a "gem."

You're entitled to your obtuse opinion, but the statement has significance because of who it's coming from. Your sensibilities don't define reality or even the common perception. In fact you're probably a real outlier.

I probably have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to fighting the fight against misinformation, but these are the times we're in

I have an "itchy trigger finger" too when it comes to misrepresentation, which is why I called you out on your unwarranted attack and how you had to strain to find something to complain about. A trait you've been displaying a lot recently.

Never been that impressed with Hardin as a sports reporter. Always get the impression he would rather be covering something else. “There is a major hurricane hitting my state and I have to write about a frigging college football game.”

If this is emblematic of his typical work that would make sense. An utterly useless article

It's been fun Loh. My apologies for my "unwarranted" attack on you after you attacked me.

Catch you after Wake's next loss

This, Wake's scheme leaves the CBs on an island with little help over top from the safeties. There were many instances where the corners lined up deeper than the safeties in 3rd and long and obvious passing downs. The safeties either misread or were put in a bad position which opened up huge holes.

The TE score and long late one to Smith were both on Kemp. Both were slow developing. He spent a lot of route time peeking into the backfield and couldn't catch up wintertime. Great punt block though. Thought Cam Glenn played pretty well in run support, stood Dillon up a few times as first contact.

For those saying the offense was "fine" and pointing to 500 yds of offense, I think you need to pump the brakes. If you take away the 13 yd "drive" when the ST recovered the muffed punt, with 500 yds of offense we scored only 2 TDs, compared to 6 by our opposition (who also had 500 yds of offense). That is similar to the Tulane game where we had big offensive yards and only 2 TDs to show in regulation. Offensive yardage without scoring is essentially meaningless in terms of winning games. Scoring offense is a thing.

As Clawson the Wise noted in his postgame, the offense failed to score in the red zone. That's a problem too, even if not of the caliber of the defense's problems.

Indeed, it's "a problem."

It is not, however, "the problem."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_250db693-fdd0-5d96-a97a-5b33665421e2.html

If you told me before the game that WF was going to gain 500+ yards, 298 on the ground,Carney and Colburn were going to run for 100+ yards, and WF would have a special teams score, I would have thought that WF would win comfortably. . . . WF's defense philosophy has been to leave the corners on an island and play the safeties close to the line scrimmage. Does not appear that WF has players to play that style. Realize that many here hate the "play a soft zone and let teams throw underneath all day, but no one gets beat deep philosophy", but the current press coverage style is not working.

500 plus was my prediction but with running and passing numbers reversed. BC is a very good team and has a very good passing game. Our DBs and defensive coaches were outplayed and out coached. If we improve on defense we will beat a Top 25 team but if we don’t improve in the secondary we wil struggle to win any conference games.

I. It's more than a little disingenuous to make "Ed Hardin doesn't seem to believe Wake's season will be too memorable" the takeaway of that article. Especially when only one sentence of the whole article talks about our season-long prospects, he included a pretty large "might" qualifier in that one sentence and talked a couple times about how BC -- who we only lost to by 7 -- could win the damn league.

Thank you for your service

I have nothing to do with the athletic department. Those with a clue quickly figured this out.

The crowd was, understandably, late arriving, but the hill and west stands (neither shown in this pic) were solid. There was also a lot of noise and activity, much more so than week one, which was impressive given the hurricane and start time.
Yes. This is concerning. 2 FG, 1 missed 4th down after an 82 yd drive, and 2 INT (both after driving 40+ yards). A lot of our offense is predicated on space and taking what the defense gives you. This, it tends to stall in the red zone.

However, tightening up some throws/catches would do wonders. The quick slants in the RPO are open in the end zone.
The guy who won the Domino's dance cam was an evacuee from Wilmington. CBS interviewed him on the news this morning outside of LJVM. Funny guy, definitely a little looney toons, but the people coming over from the Joel were a good addition to the crowd.
That dude was hilarious. Danced by himself the entire game.

Ed Hardin is a proud graduate of Mother So Dear and does tend to be a little harder on Wake because of that. Nothing would likely please him more than for Wake to do well

Had no idea Hardin is an alum.

The west stands were not solid. The black seats were downright embarrassing. Maybe half of the deacon club lives down east and were preoccupied. But the crowd was not solid.

The west stands were not solid. The black seats were downright embarrassing. Maybe half of the deacon club lives down east and were preoccupied. But the crowd was not solid.

Agreed. But after watching the replay of the game, I didn't think the crowd didn't sound too bad in the first half but maybe I'm reaching.

Agreed. But after watching the replay of the game, I didn't think the crowd didn't sound too bad in the first half but maybe I'm reaching.
You can't tell anything from a broadcast. Sound levels are balanced out.

Ed Hardin is a proud graduate of Mother So Dear and does tend to be a little harder on Wake because of that. Nothing would likely please him more than for Wake to do well
If so, he graduated as a working adult.

Back