• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

This thing might end up making landfall in Georgia. Thank goodness we didn't cancel. Good chance the triangle schools look pretty foolish on Saturday now too.

Looks like that model that had the storm doing a loop de loop is looking more and more like the path and the majority models may be off a bit. That is the thing with hurricanes, they are really hard to predict accurately several days out.

Ended up having my travel plans cancelled and have 4 tickets in I believe Section four. They’re hard tickets and I’m in NY but I could likely get them changed to will call.

The Euro weather model which is more accurate 90% of the time says this is entirely the right decision and it's good to see in the factless society we currently live in that Mother So Dear used the facts in this decision.

You know that models/predictions, by their very definition, can't be facts, right?

Gonna take a break from all the weather forecasting for a minute to talk football.

Lets just say it is going to be windy and rainy during game time (just go with it, I don't want a weather report), I'm thinking ND vs NCSU weather. In sloppy field conditions against a team with a great front, Wake chooses to go with its power running offense, helmed by a 6'4, 240 lb, Jamie Newman. The two QB's were apparently very close skill wise in camp, so not much of a drop off, and Wake can grind out yards with either RB or QB. Bigger QB, able to take a couple more hits, run a more grinding style of offense, and if we need to throw the ball, Newman can still do it. Hartman has been solid so far, but the turnovers scare me, especially if its a sloppy game. Wake has the personnel to throw a Big 10 offense out there on Thursday night, maybe this is the time to use it.

Now y'all can go back to talking bout precipitation.

BC is not the game to give a green QB his first opportunity. Hate it for Newman as from all reports, he was neck and neck with Hartman through all of camp, but his injury knocks him back to a backup role essentially for the season. He needed to be healthy enough against Towson to play a good quarter +. He was not.

Next week Hinton comes back and the fact that Newman hasn't played a snap - for me Hinton becomes the clear #2 with all his experience.

Gonna take a break from all the weather forecasting for a minute to talk football.

Lets just say it is going to be windy and rainy during game time (just go with it, I don't want a weather report), I'm thinking ND vs NCSU weather. In sloppy field conditions against a team with a great front, Wake chooses to go with its power running offense, helmed by a 6'4, 240 lb, Jamie Newman. The two QB's were apparently very close skill wise in camp, so not much of a drop off, and Wake can grind out yards with either RB or QB. Bigger QB, able to take a couple more hits, run a more grinding style of offense, and if we need to throw the ball, Newman can still do it. Hartman has been solid so far, but the turnovers scare me, especially if its a sloppy game. Wake has the personnel to throw a Big 10 offense out there on Thursday night, maybe this is the time to use it.

Now y'all can go back to talking bout precipitation.

No way in hell will it be State vs ND bad.

I think he's more discussing the use of science rather than shooting from the hip

No, he's just trying to be obtuse in some strange boomer way. The "science" and best forecasts that were available at the time of the decision didn't predict much/any of the slowdown and stalling that is now being predicted, partially because they weight the Euro model heavily. The Euro model has been all over the place, one of the least consistent from a path standpoint, even though it's driving much of the forecast for the southerly path shift. As of yesterday, the Euro model he's claiming as the "fact" that Wake used in deciding to play the game actually had the storm moving inland very quickly, which is the exact opposite of the current slowdown/stall forecast that is now making the decision look smart. And it didn't predict the SW turn after landfall until later yesterday. The Euro model result at the time Wake made the decision would have brought more wind to Winston and would have brought it quicker. It's actually the American GFS model that has been predicting the stall, limited inland winds and huge rainfall amounts that are part of the current forecast.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/weather/storms/article_29075288-b5c3-11e8-a2f7-4bb8f8834ff6.html

Last edited:
has anybody seen anything one way or the other about the possibility of pushing the start time back to the original schedule?

models keep pushing landfall predictions later and later

I did say just go with it.

Vegas cuts through the BS. Spread ballooned when rain and wind was predicted for game. Down to -5/5.5 now as we'll be able to play our style with minimal weather impacts. Look across FV3 (GFS 2.0), GFS, NAM and Euro (most accurate) and you'll see 10-15 mph sustained, with gusts to 25/30 in second half, no rain. Now this is subject to change, but currently, the weather in W-S will be completely fine.

has anybody seen anything one way or the other about the possibility of pushing the start time back to the original schedule?

models keep pushing landfall predictions later and later

At this point I think you gotta stay with the 5:30 kick.

I imagine it helps BC get out of town tonorro night too

Something tells me they will still feel fine with their decisions.

I dunno, I don't see what harm waiting at least another day would've done. A lot of lost revenue, plus the havoc it wreaks on each team's schedule. Seems like one school acted and then all the others were pressured to do the same.

Tends to be an overabundance of caution with such things. There are drastic changes of path on hurricanes all the time

Back