• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Botched execution in OK

Last edited:
"

Are you really this nuts? In your world it's OK to kill some innocent, wrongly accused people just in case you might save another.

Since it's your idea, how about volunteering to be killed to protect a future victim? How about volunteering your child or wife?

You are willing to have someone else's child, wife or husband murdered. Why not you?

But it's OK to kill innocent people with drone strikes?

You aren't targeting innocent people. There's a huge difference.

In a perfect world, we could laser shoot guys like al awaki. We don't live in that world.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/27/just-cost-death-penalty-killer-state-budgets/

Good call. Technically we can choke someone to death for $0.

"Just keeping prisoners on death row costs $90,000 more per prisoner per year than regular confinement."

Although I do favor having the death penalty (even if I think it's over-used), I cannot envision having it without ensuring due process. It is the ultimate penalty. If we have to deal with some frivolous appeals in an effort to get it right, so be it.

In a perfect world, we could laser shoot guys like al awaki. We don't live in that world.

Are you saying we are targeting innocent people with the DP? Seems to me that there is collateral damage of innocent lives in both DP and drones. One has due process, the other has none.

Good post awaken. I wouldn't say we target innocent people with the death penalty, but your post has me thinking of several aspects I hadn't considered before.

comparing being in a war zone and in proximity of people carrying out terroristic acts to putting people onto DR who are innocent is ludicrous.

Not as huge as you'd like to believe. Drone strikes are not the most narrowly tailored way to take these guys out. Not to even get into the possibility that they might also be innocent, wrongly accused people.

Drone strikes are primarily used so we don't "have" to send in people for these assassinations. We choose the drones because it keeps our people safe. So in effect we are choosing to kill some people we know are innocent to potentially save another.

Reactions: ONW
comparing being in a war zone and in proximity of people carrying out terroristic acts to putting people onto DR who are innocent is ludicrous.

You're right. It's the goat farmer in Pakistan's fault that his country was turned into a breeding ground for terrorism (at least in part by the U.S.). He should have used his vast resources to move somewhere the U.S. wasn't dropping bombs.

At least the guy on death row had a lawyer and a trial. I mean at least that guy had a fighting chance.

If Iraq decided to drone strike GWB for war crimes and I happened to live next door to him I would deserve to die?

It's not the same. One is in a war zone/war staging area. It sucks but that's the way it is.

I mean if you are defining a war zone as anywhere we choose to send a drone then sure. I can see the argument for the Waziristan region of Pakistan, but Yemen and Somalia? Those are war zones?

Last edited:
I think the answer is we should exile our convicted murderers to the vicinity of terrorists.

I mean if you are defining a war zone as anywhere we choose to send a drone then sure. I can see the argument for the Waziristan region of Pakistan, but Yemen and Somalia? Those are war zones?

When the people who are training, planning and sending out minions to enact the war live there, then Yemen and Somalia are part of the war zone.

When the people who are training, planning and sending out minions to enact the war live there, then Yemen and Somalia are part of the war zone.

So if people were training, planning and sending out soldiers to enact a war in London, L.A., or say Camp Lejune a drone strike would be justified there?

That's clearly where we're heading, like it or not.

I hope not. I suspect that when push comes to shove people like RJ might change their tune when the people dying live a little closer to home and look a little more they do. Wish it didn't take that much to get them to oppose killing innocent people.

Back