• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Botched execution in OK

Hmmmm, RJ with a Fox News link.

Karma is a motherfucker. As ol' Slingblade said "he ought not have buried that girl alive."

Last edited:
And that's the main reason I'm against the death penalty. When you're wrong, you can't go back and fix it.

We have executed innocent people.

And that's why it has to end, in my view. You're never going to know if 100% of those executions were justified, and it's not something where we can afford to ever be wrong. It's the same reason the drone strikes have to end. Innocent people don't deserve to die.

This is disgusting. There have been a bunch of stories of states trying to track down drugs to use for lethal injections since the companies they had used previously started refusing to sell them for use in executions.

Alternative drug sources for lethal injection spark new scrutiny

With states’ pentobarbital supplies now almost dry, many prisons are turning to compounding pharmacies, which are not regulated by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), to produce lethal drugs for executions. But fearful of negative public attention, a veil of secrecy surrounds companies that supply prisons with lethal injection drugs.

The execution was originally stayed due to a complaint that the state wouldn't reveal the providers of the drugs they were using for the injection, but that was later overturned.

"Medical and legal experts from around the country had repeatedly warned Oklahoma's governor, courts and Department of Corrections about the likelihood that the protocol intended for use... would be highly problematic," said Deborah Denno, death penalty expert at Fordham Law School.

"This botch was foreseeable and the state (was) ill prepared to deal with the circumstances despite knowing that the entire world was watching. Lethal injection botches have existed for decades but never have they been riskier or more irresponsible than they are in 2014. This outcome is a disgrace," Denno said.

Link

I read the thread title as is OK. It made me laugh

If the number of innocent people murdered by the state is even one then there should be no more executions. People are so busy debating step two of a two prong issue that they skipped over step one. Everyone is arguing about whether we should kill murderers that are guilty when I think the necessary predicate question to be talked about is should we have a system set up that kills innocent people. Can't appeal when you're dead. Only when we know that the people who are on death row are actually guilty will I engage in discussion about the merits of state sanctioned death. Until then it's just a theoretical talk since we actually have to talk about murdering innocent people.

If the number of innocent people murdered by the state is even one then there should be no more executions. People are so busy debating step two of a two prong issue that they skipped over step one. Everyone is arguing about whether we should kill murderers that are guilty when I think the necessary predicate question to be talked about is should we have a system set up that kills innocent people. Can't appeal when you're dead. Only when we know that the people who are on death row are actually guilty will I engage in discussion about the merits of state sanctioned death. Until then it's just a theoretical talk since we actually have to talk about murdering innocent people.

I get we don't want to kill innocent people and I am against the death penalty all together. However, is killing an innocent person in any worse than keeping an innocent person in maximum security prison? I get what you are saying about "can't appeal when you are dead" but people who are executed have exhausted all appeal. Those people would be spending the rest of their life in maximum security prison if they were not killed. I would almost rather die than be locked up for a crime I did not commit.

Last edited:
I get we don't want to kill innocent people and I am against the death penalty all together. However, is killing an innocent person in any worse than keeping an innocent person in maximum security prison? I get what you are saying about "can't appeal when you are dead" but people who are executed have exhausted all appeal. Those people would be spending the rest of their life in maximum security prison if they were not killed. I would almost rather die than be locked up for a crime I did not commit.

Well that's one take. I just disagree with it. DNA could exonerate people in the future even with appeals exhausted.

Well that's one take. I just disagree with it. DNA could exonerate people in the future even with appeals exhausted.

I don't think you disagree with me...I am not really saying anything that anyone would disagree with. My point is that we focus on putting innocent people to death and the solution is to eliminate the death penalty. I actually think the solution should be to stop convicting innocent people.

Again, I am against the death penalty but not because we execute innocent people. I don't think the state should have the power to take the life of its citizenry.

I don't think you disagree with me...I am not really saying anything that anyone would disagree with. My point is that we focus on putting innocent people to death and the solution is to eliminate the death penalty. I actually think the solution should be to stop convicting innocent people.

Again, I am against the death penalty but not because we execute innocent people. I don't think the state should have the power to take the life of its citizenry.

I think he's disagreeing with the idea that you'd rather be executed than be in prison with all appeals exhausted, because even if your appeals have been exhausted, there is still the possibility of new forensic technology that would exonerate you

I think he's disagreeing with the idea that you'd rather be executed than be in prison with all appeals exhausted, because even if your appeals have been exhausted, there is still the possibility of new forensic technology that would exonerate you

Ahhhh...gottcha.

The idea of spending time in prison at all scares the shit out of me...let alone for something I didn't do. I honestly would rather die than hold out hope for that .000004% chance that some new technology would free me.

Ahhhh...gottcha.

The idea of spending time in prison at all scares the shit out of me...let alone for something I didn't do. I honestly would rather die than hold out hope for that .000004% chance that some new technology would free me.

You probably have a very sensitive bhole. I get it.

The whole jail rape thing is horrifying but that is not even the thing that scares me most. It would be the absolute loss of freedom that would be a killer. I can't even fathom it. I guess that is why I have an unnatural obsession to Locked Up on MSNBC.

Reactions: ONW
The whole jail rape thing is horrifying but that is not even the thing that scares me most. It would be the absolute loss of freedom that would be a killer. I can't even fathom it. I guess that is why I have an unnatural obsession to Locked Up on MSNBC.

I'm sure they would still let you watch Oprah.

No they wouldn't...I doubt they get the OWN Network. DUH!

The beige curtain separating the execution chamber from the viewing area was opened and the state prison warden, Anita Trammell, stood over 38-year-old Lockett. She asked him if he had any final words. He said "no."

The process began at at 6.23pm, but Lockett – as we had been warned – did not appear immediately to fall unconscious. Beneath a white sheet pulled to his neck, the restrained prisoner blinked and pursed his lips. At first he looked straight ahead, but after four minutes, he turned towards the witness area. By 6.30pm, his eyes were closed and his mouth slightly open, but when an official stood over him to check, it was clear something was wrong. "Mr Lockett is not unconscious," Trammell said.

At 6.33pm, Lockett was checked again and declared to be sedated. But then, during the following minutes, Lockett lurched forward against his restraints, writhing and attempting to speak. He strained and struggled violently, his body twisting, and his head reaching up from the gurney. Sixteen minutes after the execution began, Lockett said "Man," and Trammell decreed the blinds be lowered. Before they fell, Lockett's right arm was checked.

Then, in a gesture that seemed to echo Oklahoma’s fierce commitment to secrecy in the way it carries out lethal injections, the curtains were drawn over the execution chamber, obscuring the gruesome spectacle from public view. Officials picked up prison phones and left the room.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/30/clayton-lockett-oklahoma-execution-witness

Back