• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl or Not?

Reaction score
Simple question.

@ Cuse
vs. FSU
vs. Duke
@ Vandy

Will be underdogs in 2, maybe 3 of these games. Need to win 2. Cuse is pitiful but it is in the Dome. FSU will be a bloodbath. Duke is 6-2 (where we should be) and played a great game today beating VT. Vandy is a solid team, more talented than us.

Another note: Duke comes after a bye which should help us on the injury/rest front, but hurt us in the preparation front. Giving Grobotzke too much time to come up with a gameplan is the stuff of nightmares

No. We will likely win at Cuse but that's it. ULM will keep us from bowling.

I don't like making hard predictions, but the only game we should be favored in is possibly Syracuse. I think we have a chance vs. all but the noles, but it will have to be against the odds. So my prediction would be no bowl.

My thoughts too

I tend to lean that direction. Don't forget BC. We should be sitting at 6-2 talking about Charlotte, Nashville or DC and instead we probably won't even get in. Next year we lose everything... maybe 7 straight losing seasons will be enough to get rid of Grobe?

I don't think we win next week. Historically we've been awful at recovering from these heart breakers. Plus 'Cuse has had a week to stew over their 56-0 beatdown and will surely be motivated.

Maybe we make a hard push for a bowl coming out of our bye at 4-6, but I think it's just as likely -- and is this group of players' history -- to fold like a tent and lose out

I'm glad we're at a point we can think there's at least a chance. Didn't think that would be the case after the first 5 games.

Vandy is not that good. We can beat them.

If we win next week, I think we get one of two from Vandy/Duke.

If we lose next week, probably not.

Last edited:
Regardless of a bowl or not, this is pretty much what Grobe offers going forward. At best 5 wins looking for a 6th, and razor thin margin of error with inferior talent. Can't get too upset about this because that's basically what you can expect from an academy level coach -- which Grobe is. And Wellman is content to have this level of historical competitiveness. Meh. No real hope of a serious elevation of the program.

Good post, Loh. Grobe won more than 5 FBS games only 4 times, 2002 and 2006-08.

The problem isn't that Wellman is fine with it. The problem is that the fans are.

Beat Cuse, Duke, and Vandy. This team is more than capable of that. Hopefully no one gets hurt in the F$U massacre. This team will finish 7-5.

Regardless of a bowl or not, this is pretty much what Grobe offers going forward. At best 5 wins looking for a 6th, and razor thin margin of error with inferior talent. Can't get too upset about this because that's basically what you can expect from an academy level coach -- which Grobe is. And Wellman is content to have this level of historical competitiveness. Meh. No real hope of a serious elevation of the program.

This post is on point.

And is why I want to quit this bullshit program so badly. No ambition. No drive. Just a bunch of fat cat pussies.

Yeah I'm gonna say no. We should be able to win two of Duke, Cuse, and Vandy, but that would require clutch, and we're Wake, and we don't do clutch.

In all seriousness, when was the last time a Grobe team finished strong? There's no precedent for the type of run required to go to a bowl. Not at Wake.

And really, the second ULM ended, wasn't a 5-7 season assured, with that game as the dagger? Did we not all see that coming?

Back