• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl or Not?

YES!! We are playing much better. Last year, when we had to win 1 out of three, we were playing like crap. This year we have much better senior leadership, somewhat healthier, have more depth because of the freshman, and LOBO is in the witness protection program. Military Bowl here we come, watch out MTSU.

Regardless of a bowl or not, this is pretty much what Grobe offers going forward. At best 5 wins looking for a 6th, and razor thin margin of error with inferior talent. Can't get too upset about this because that's basically what you can expect from an academy level coach -- which Grobe is. And Wellman is content to have this level of historical competitiveness. Meh. No real hope of a serious elevation of the program.

Actually, 5-6 wins a year is better than our football program's historical competitiveness.

Baylor's in the top ten and undefeated, Vandy beat Georgia last week and Duke won in Blacksburg this week. It's a new day in college football. We can do better

Actually, 5-6 wins a year is better than our football program's historical competitiveness.

SdP4oYu.gif

Baylor's in the top ten and undefeated, Vandy beat Georgia last week and Duke won in Blacksburg this week. It's a new day in college football. We can do better

Eh. Vandy also got their ass handed to them today. Northwestern's lost four in a row. Baylor's having a good run, but that school doesn't exactly have the best track record in recruiting honestly.

I'm not saying smaller schools can't have flashes of brilliance in today's college football. Much more so than year's past. But, the likelihood of extended success for those schools is the same.

I actually think it's time for Grobe to move on. I, like many others in here, think he's grown stagnant. But, I also have a hard time believing there's any other coach out there that we can hire that will do much better than averaging 5-6 wins a year over an extended period of time.

"But, I also have a hard time believing there's any other coach out there that we can hire that will do much better than averaging 5-6 wins a year over an extended period of time."

I must agree that with Wellman our likelihood of hiring a more effective replacement is doubtful. His "priorities" and hiring acumen are open to speculation.

Can another coach do 5-6 wins for less than $2.5 million a year?

Can another coach do 5-6 wins for less than $2.5 million a year?

Absolutely. I think what we should be looking for is a hungry young coach who can give our program a shot in the arm for a few years and probably end up using us as a stepping stone. Personally, I'm fine with that. At least, we'd have some excitement around our football program instead of what we have now.

But, on the list of problems with Wake athletics right now, Grobe is a ways down the list for me.

Yeah. Right now we have an expensive coach for life in football and a relatively cheap temp in basketball. At Wake, it should be the exact opposite.

No predictions. Just more performances like today vs our remaining opponents. Start fast, and finish. Good things could happen like that. GO DEACS!

@SolidVerbal 1m
Reverb of the year: “Being a Wake Forest fan is like being locked in a Golden Corral that serves nothing but moral victories.”

But, on the list of problems with Wake athletics right now, Grobe is a ways down the list for me.

Exactly. IMHO Grobe has turned this season around with his willingness to change our offensive philosophy. He gets a pass in my mind for now with that. Never thought I would see him willing to change it up. Only regret is it didn't happen this spring instead of mid-season.

The change is nice, but we shouldn't have been in a position to need to change from something that obviously wasn't going to work. Literally no one outside of the staff thought the option was a good idea, from fans to TV people to Tajh Boyd.

It's like finally deciding to stop hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Great decision, but why was it necessary in the first place ?

I'm 100% fine with it, as long as basketball isn't awful at the same time. One of the two needs to at least be postseason eligible on a regular basis.

Good post, Loh. Grobe won more than 5 FBS games only 4 times, 2002 and 2006-08.

The problem isn't that Wellman is fine with it. The problem is that the fans are.

Even if we go 6-6, it will just net us a crappy bowl no one will go to, but it is good for recruiting.

If Harris is healthy for next week, yes. If not, no. Whole game changed after he went down.

Back