• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

If the current CBS projection holds to being true, we'd actually have a path to the Sweet 16. It wouldn't be easy, but could happen. We'd have to beat KS State-doable; then St. Mar'ys-doable and then Butler -again possible.

If the current CBS projection holds to being true, we'd actually have a path to the Sweet 16. It wouldn't be easy, but could happen. We'd have to beat KS State-doable; then St. Mar'ys-doable and then Butler -again possible.

I wonder if any of the current players know what getting Butlerized means?

Any projection that has us in the last 4 in play-in games is just stupid. We have an RPI of 29, a BPI of 30 and Kenpom at 29. We've won on the road, played a tough schedule, have a signature win and no bad losses. This is the problem with the "rolling" brackets that Lunardi and others do. They don't look at a whole body of work, they only go day to day or week to week. Our wins this last week validated what the advanced statistics have been saying about us all year. We are a good team. If you were to bring someone back from the moon and show them our resume, they would laugh if you said we were projected as an 11 or 12. I hope that when the committee sits down and compares our resume with Vandy at 44 RPI, USC at 36, Marquette at 56, Providence at 52, Seton Hall at 43, Syracuse at 76, Michigan St. at 48 they;ll see that have a better resume than all these teams.

Any projection that has us in the last 4 in play-in games is just stupid. We have an RPI of 29, a BPI of 30 and Kenpom at 29. We've won on the road, played a tough schedule, have a signature win and no bad losses. This is the problem with the "rolling" brackets that Lunardi and others do. They don't look at a whole body of work, they only go day to day or week to week. Our wins this last week validated what the advanced statistics have been saying about us all year. We are a good team. If you were to bring someone back from the moon and show them our resume, they would laugh if you said we were projected as an 11 or 12. I hope that when the committee sits down and compares our resume with Vandy at 44 RPI, USC at 36, Marquette at 56, Providence at 52, Seton Hall at 43, Syracuse at 76, Michigan St. at 48 they;ll see that have a better resume than all these teams.

Agreed and the OK State post was a good one. This is the product of a narrative constructed relative to the teams.

TSN ran an article today about the bubble being a joke compared to most years because we have a shot at the tournament. Uninformed analysis is great.

I wonder if any of the current players know what getting Butlerized means?

Other than Arians and McClinton, were any of our players even in first grade at that time?

Pat Kelsey just talked about Skip quite a few times. Congrats, Pat. He should be getting looks from bigger programs soon.

Pat Kelsey just talked about Skip quite a few times. Congrats, Pat. He should be getting looks from bigger programs soon.

Discussed this on the magnitude thread. I feel about Kelsey as DR does about Wes. A great coach, even better guy. Really happy for him. His first words on the court after punching his ticket were about Skip and how "the redhead is smiling looking down at us." I think he's going to be a star somewhere. Here's to you, Pat. Big things ahead.

If we beat BC, I think we surely get in as a 10 and avoid the play in game. Our metrics would just be too good. If we were to lose to BC, it is a toss up as to whether we get in at all. Shouldn't be that way, but that would be such a bad loss that would eliminate our best stat (no bad losses). That being said, there is a very high probability that we handle BC. This team seems mentally ready.

Other than Arians and McClinton, were any of our players even in first grade at that time?
John Collins was three and a half in March 2001. I'm pretty sure we don't have any reminders of that game hanging up in our locker room either. The Butlerizing exists only as a phantom in the minds of us fans.

Agreed, our movements up are framed as "do we deserve to jump x,y,z teams" instead of a fresh analysis. Like trying to overcome preseason rankings in FB. Fortunately the committee will be looking at this more freshly instead of trying to validate their previous iterations of bracketology

Jerry Palm just gave us some love. Said that Vandy still has a lot of work to do to get in. Has Syracuse firmly out because they only win at home. All's looking good with the world as a Wake fan.

Last edited:
Agreed, our movements up are framed as "do we deserve to jump x,y,z teams" instead of a fresh analysis. Like trying to overcome preseason rankings in FB. Fortunately the committee will be looking at this more freshly instead of trying to validate their previous iterations of bracketology

You mean the committee that has met several times already to preseed the field.

Yeah I thought of that...but I still feel (hope) that they'll be more objective about it when constructing the real thing than the individual guys tweeting tweaks on their last four in multiple times a day

They met once to do the top 16 teams. I don't believe they have formally met to seed 1-68 at any point. This isn't the CFP

Do we want the shockers? Palm thinks they would be out if they lost.

We def want them to win, and convincingly. They could make it off their metrics, Illinois State has much less going for them

Back