• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bracketology 2017

He seemed to think earlier this week that WF has enough wins to justify a bid but rather needs a quality win or two. So he's changed his mind on Wake's resume over a couple of days.

Jerry palm also blows at this.

Both Jerry Palm & Joe Lunardi have us their First Four Out. We need to beat Louisville and VT to stand a chance. Just winning one is going to offset the other. Do that and we better get to Friday of the ACCT and hope there is a lot of chalk in the other tournies when it comes to who wins.

A loss against a quality foe doesn't cancel out a quality win. Ridiculous statement

A loss against a quality foe doesn't cancel out a quality win. Ridiculous statement

Well it certainly does not help you to work hard to beat a nationally ranked Louisville team to then go head to head against one of your possible bubble foes & lose.
VT loses @ BC and to Miami, that puts them at 8-9 and 19-11 and squarely back on the bubble. So no, not ridiculous. Don't screw up a great win by following it up with a loss at VT who like Clemson, can be our competition for the final spot!

VT loses @ BC and to Miami, that puts them at 8-9 and 19-11 and squarely back on the bubble. So no, not ridiculous.

Ah, fun with highly unlikely scenarios!!!

You know, if we win our next 13 games, we'll be national champs!

Need to keep an eye on TCU and Kansas State. They both are ahead of us in a lot of brackets - but have lower RPI ratings. I think TCU is going to fade.

Xavier falling off due to injury has hurt us too. It weakens our RPI and they keep losing to teams that we are competing with for bids (Seton Hall and Marquette).

In the end, we can't get butthurt about not getting in until we have 18 or 19 wins. The bubble is full of teams with mediocre resumes.

Both Jerry Palm & Joe Lunardi have us their First Four Out. We need to beat Louisville and VT to stand a chance. Just winning one is going to offset the other. Do that and we better get to Friday of the ACCT and hope there is a lot of chalk in the other tournies when it comes to who wins.
No just no. Unless you assume that every other bubble team will have a big time win. Going 1-1 and then going to the ACC tournament semis would give us an 8 or 9 seed

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pac12 to me is a 3 bid league, but apparently USC has nothing to worry about. They went undefeated in OOC by playing the 269th SOS (they did beat SMU). Now they are likely to go 10-8 in the awful Pac12 while going a combined 1-5 vs the only 3 teams worth a look in the conference.
USC is 62 in KP w/ 77th rated SOS. Also #1 in luck.

I sure hope next year when Wake plays a soft OOC schedule they are rewarded like some of these teams seem to be set up to be.

If we just keep winning we dance. Lose a couple and we are NIT bound. Really pretty simple

Pac12 to me is a 3 bid league, but apparently USC has nothing to worry about. They went undefeated in OOC by playing the 269th SOS (they did beat SMU). Now they are likely to go 10-8 in the awful Pac12 while going a combined 1-5 vs the only 3 teams worth a look in the conference.
USC is 62 in KP w/ 77th rated SOS. Also #1 in luck.

I sure hope next year when Wake plays a soft OOC schedule they are rewarded like some of these teams seem to be set up to be.

If we beat VT or Louisville, I'd like someone to make the argument why our resume is worse than a Cal team that goes 11-7 in the Pac-12.

At least USC beat SMU and UCLA (granted, both on their home floor). But Cal's resume just looks like a weaker version of our own

After reading his write ups on the other "Work to Do" teams, he clearly has a higher standard for Wake than the rest especially the mid majors.

That's because we've had a dozen opportunities to beat top teams and we haven't converted. A mid-major might get two or three opportunities a year.

Not something major conference teams have historically been punished for, though (rightly or wrongly)

This is going to the be the most attention paid by the WFU fanbase to the low- and mid-major conference tournaments in years.

Numbers and I recorded a 30 min. podcast on Wake and Bracketology. Highlights some teams to watch down the stretch. A lot of it agrees with folks on here: TCU, Kansas State, Illinois State, Providence, Vandy, and a few others are all right on the bubble with us. It's a damn weak bubble this year.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/2...bubble-watch-tcu-wichita-state-illinois-state

Does all of this assume that conference tournaments in the mid/low majors go as expected? I mean, we're one Gonzaga loss in a tournament away from the bubble being reduced by one spot, right?

That's because we've had a dozen opportunities to beat top teams and we haven't converted. A mid-major might get two or three opportunities a year.

Not just that though. Those teams have losses to teams outside the top 100 and no quality wins.

Does all of this assume that conference tournaments in the mid/low majors go as expected? I mean, we're one Gonzaga loss in a tournament away from the bubble being reduced by one spot, right?

No. Because then St. Mary's will win the league and they're already in.

A-10 and the American Athletic are the ones I'm most concerned about if someone not named VCU, Dayton, SMU or Cincy wins those.

Those will also be a special kind of torture as the finals of each tourney take place on Selection Sunday itself

Gonzaga or Saint Mary's can win that tournament. Anybody else and it reduces by one.

The big one is Middle Tennessee State imo. They could steal a bid if they don't win their tournament.

Also, the A-10 needs to be won by Dayton or VCU. Rhode Island or Richmond would steal a bid if they won (as well as anybody else).

Not just that though. Those teams have losses to teams outside the top 100 and no quality wins.

Right, and what we assume are "standard wins" for a P5 team like Wake likely wouldn't be all wins for those mid-major teams.

Back