• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking Bad - Final Season - SEASON 5 (Part II) Premieres Aug. 11

So, time travel and coming back from the dead and magic knives and monsters is not Sci Fi???? My bad. Of course it is also a drama, but the others are fiction, not science fiction. If you dont get that, I cant help.

Not really no. You could maybe say time travel is science fiction, but mostly all the shit that happened in Lost is fantasy - not based in reality.

If a random person were to open the last page of this thread I'd give them a thousand guesses and no way they'd figure out it that it was related to Breaking Bad.

Jesse killed Matt Damon dude a la Anton Chicugh.

Just watched the finale while on a train to Innsbruck. Was the amount of ricin enough to kill Lydia?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Norm MacDonald on twitter is talking about the theory Emily Nussbaum put forward on the finale (http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter

Essentially, everyone agrees that the finale was neat and tidy, but Emily's saying is was too neat and tidy. Her theory is that the finale did not take place in realty. It was Walt's revenge fantasy that he had, perhaps in the car while freezing.

Everything in the finale worked out perfectly for Walt - the cops had reason to believe he was in New Hampshire and he was able to drive cross country in a NH car without being spotted. He was able to drive around ABQ without being arrested. Skyler let him visit Holly one last time despite the fact that their last confrontation ended in a knife fight. He was able to break into a mansion with no difficulty and emasculate the man who stole his empire. He was able to launder money. He was able to kill Lydia with ricin, despite no one really knowing how he got the ricin into the stevia packet. He was able to sit in the restaurant waiting for Todd and Lydia without being spotted. He met with the nazis and they searched his person but not his car. His car - which was an old beater - somehow had an electronic trunk opener installed. He parked at the perfect angle to shoot the gun. The gun all the peripheral bad guys without a problem. It left Jack and Todd alive so Walt and Jesse could kill them both. Then Walt got to die exactly where he loved the most - a chemistry lab. And Walt was able to do all this despite being in the end stages of dying from lung cancer.

It's an interesting theory - essentially Ozymandias was the actual finale, and this was an epilogue taking place largely in Walt's mind of how he wanted the story to end.

From my perspective, at least as I write, shortly after the finale aired, if this episode in fact took place in reality, it was troubling, and yes, disappointing, if only because the story ended by confirming Walt’s most grandiose notions: that he is, in fact, all-powerful, the smartest guy in the room, the one who knocks. Anyone other than Walt becomes a mere reflection of this journey to redemption. (With the exception of Jesse, who had the most mysterious scene: a poetic fugue of his own, in which he created what felt like a small coffin.*) It’s not that Walt needed to suffer, necessarily, for the show’s finale to be challenging, or original, or meaningful: but Walt succeeded with so little true friction—maintaining his legend, reconciling with family, avenging Hank, freeing Jesse, all genuine evil off-loaded onto other, badder bad guys—that it felt quite unlike the destabilizing series that I’d been watching for years. If, instead, we were watching Walt’s compensatory fantasy, it was a fascinating glimpse into the man’s mind—akin to the one in the movie “Mulholland Drive,” a poignant, tragic attempt to fix a life that is unfixable.

yea i mean if Gilligan didnt come on immediately after and debunk that it might be okay? It wouldve been a good ending if after the shootout and Walt dying in the meth lab, they show him still in the cabin, dead on the floor there.

The one thing I found weird about the show was that they had two characters, Mike and Walt, who were obsessed with the idea of leaving money for their children/grandchildren. As if giving an 18 year old millions of dollars with no supervision works out well.

I wonder what happened to Jesse. No money and an even worse history of breaking bad than he had pre-Walt. But I'm guessing only Hank and Gomez knew that, even if Jesse's disposal of the money is public knowledge.

Back