• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Breaking Bad - Final Season - SEASON 5 (Part II) Premieres Aug. 11

Jesse is gonna be PISSED when he finds out about Mike...and that may not happen for a while (I didn't see the previews for next week). It could happen next week, or sometime next season. Either way, it sets up Jesse as Walt's nemesis for the home stretch.

Without Mike there to make Legacy payments, this sets up someone talking to the DEA...which judging by the previews for next week, they try to, but apparently get offed in prison.

I keep thinking about the ricin Walt stashed at his house....if it wasn't for the flash forward to him in the Denny's I'd say Hank figures things out or the cancer comes back and Walt takes it himself....or Skylar finally breaks and says she's gonna rat and Walt gives it to her.....or Jesse.

Something big is gonna happen next week and I think it's going to be Jesse coming after Walt or Hank figuring it out...both would setup for a great last 8 episodes and explain why Walt is on the lam/on the run in the flash forward.

Though this new distribution deal has to come in somewhere...they are the only ones other than Hank and the DEA that can get Walt to run I think.

Walt has a deal with the new drug dealers from Phoenix.
He reneges on that deal for some reason....either the heat gets to hot or he flat out gets made by the DEA.
He's running from the cops and from his new partners, he's setting up an ambush where he plans to either go down in a blaze of glory or he's trying to set up a conflict between the DEA and his new drug outfit.
that's my guess for what the future scene is leading up to.

...uhpparantly I can't spell

Last edited:
Man that episode left me uncomfortable again. Amazing how they can pull that off episode after episode.

At this point I finally have lost any shred of empathy I once had for Walt. At least in the prior episodes I rooted for an impossible transformation or redemption, but as soon as he demanded the rival crew leader recognize him as Heisenberg, he embraced his own transformation and there was no going back for me.

Not that this breaks any new ground, but I really liked how that scene continued to hammer the point home that as good as Walt is at cooking, he still does not get it and never will. His line about being the NYY and everyone else being an elementary school t-ball team felt awkward and it should have. Walt is so proud of his 90% purity product, but he just can't get it through his head at this point that the product never had to be the best as long as it could get on the streets with the appropriate muscle. Its all about the business of selling to junkies. I'm glad Mike got to remind Walt just one more time that this is all on him. That he could have just showed up, punched the clock, and everyone could have gone on happily ever after.

i actually thought walter was going to shoot mike again, just to deny him his last request. a little bit unbelievable that the uber-alert mike would have let his guard down long enough for walt to do his dragged out approach to mike, but whatever.

the scenes with walter's home life make it pretty clear why he didn't quit the cooking - there is nothing else for him to do. being home looks miserable. kids are gone. what's the point? of course, it begs the question of whether the kids would be back and whether the home life would be better if he quit cooking, but that is neither here nor there.

at this point, i don't get why skyler doesn't turn him in, except that i guess he has dirt on her for the ted tax nonsense.

i also don't know how jessie is going to figure out that walter witnessed jessie's girl's death, poisoned Brock and killed Mike - but it is going to be tough when he does. hopefully he can get a deal to turn walt in.

also, i think walter jr. has to play a big role in this. he is the only guy that walter cares what he thinks of him.

i thought this and Sepinwall did, dont know why Mike would allow Walter of all people, to bring the suitcase to him. Doesnt make any sense really. Still great episode, sucks to see Mike go.

Walt has a deal with the new drug dealers from Phoenix.
He reniggs on that deal for some reason....either the heat gets to hot or he flat out gets made by the DEA.
He's running from the cops and from his new partners, he's setting up an ambush where he plans to either go down in a blaze of glory or he's trying to set up a conflict between the DEA and his new drug outfit.
that's my guess for what the future scene is leading up to.

:squint:

:eek:

i thought this and Sepinwall did, dont know why Mike would allow Walter of all people, to bring the suitcase to him. Doesnt make any sense really. Still great episode, sucks to see Mike go.

How does it not make sense?...he's the only one that Mike knows that doesn't have the DEA up his ass...no one suspects Walt of anything so no one would ever follow him or tail him

Maybe it's because a part of me still roots for Walt even though he's become a narcissistic empire seeker... But this episode had some great stuff in the dialogue.

1) Mike rejecting Jesse to bring him the bag. Brutal for Jesse to be reminded he's not taken seriously even by Mike, which should clue him into the fact his entire Mike relationship was just Mike trying to manipulate Walt.

2) Mike putting their situation on Walt - seemed delusional. You had Gus training a replacement so he could kill Walt or Jesse - struck me as Mike just refusing to play his role in a game where Walt was on top. The whole time he's bitching about Walt being egotistical and stubborn he might as well be talking about himself. At least Walt's ideas work.

3) Walt's self-awareness in the Jesse speech that they're going to hell but to take what they can on the way there. He may be cold and purely logical, but at least he's not lying to himself about it. Not to mention he's probably 100% right about Jesse having nothing to do and no point to his life if he just walks with a bunch of money.

4) I didn't read the Heisenberg scene as Walt not getting it... Thought it was the opposite really. Nobody shows up, punches the clock and goes home - unless they're the boss on top running things. They think they're competition to Walt, and he explains that they're not and completely owns them.

5) Walt continuing to torture Skyler is amazing. "Are we in danger?! Is someone after us?" "Just go back to the office."

How does it not make sense?...he's the only one that Mike knows that doesn't have the DEA up his ass...no one suspects Walt of anything so no one would ever follow him or tail him

Mike trusts Walter the least out of anyone, he blames him for messing up the entire situation, yet he will trust him over Jesse to escape for the rest of his life? DEA isnt following Jesse or Landry at all.

My $.02.:

Anyone else notice the interaction between Jesse and Skylar? He says "vamanos" (let's go) and she says "I wish." Then walking away, he looks after her and she looks back at him and it's like he wants to tell her something and almost like she's looking at him as a possible way out of all this. Seems implausible but there was something there.

I keep thinking back to Todd keeping the glass jar with the tarantula. The glass jar with the missing kid's fingerprints. Something just isn't right with Todd.

I have no problem with Walt/Mike handoff. Jesse and Todd (there is no "Landry" in this show), are proven fuck-ups and Mike doesn't like dealing with kids. Mike needs to run and is desperate. If Walt can get him his exit, so be it. After all, Mike could've just gotten in his car after Walt said "You're welcome." Walt's line about Lydia having the names further underscores gaps in his thinking.

Walt has obviously overestimated his importance to the meth world. Sure, methheads love the blue shit but as any alcoholic will show you, when you can't get what you want, you'll still drink anything else. Walt's connection with reality has evaporated.

Hank's score with defying his boss' orders to move on will give him further juice to keep pushing. I don't see Hank getting out from between his rock and the hard place he's in no matter how this ends- unless they pussy out like The Sopranos, which I highly doubt.

And I still maintain that the whole nanny-cam/smart phone monitoring trend makes the pest-control tenting untenable.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't take Mike telling Jesse no as Mike not trusting him...I took at as Mike realizing Jesse has a decent head on his shoulders and really wants out and he doesn't want Jesse to risk getting caught for him.

His conversation with Jesse when he tells him to watch out for himself, etc really proves that he wants Jesse to get out and knows Jesse has turned a corner....I definitely don't think it's that he doesn't take Jesse seriously or that he doesn't trust Jesse....

And Jesse is definitely on the DEA's radar, Hank still thinks Jesse is a part of something.

My $.02.:

Anyone else notice the interaction between Jesse and Skylar? He says "vamanos" (let's go) and she says "I wish." Then walking away, he looks after her and she looks back at him and it's like he wants to tell her something and almost like she's looking at him as a possible way out of all this. Seems implausible but there was something there.

I keep thinking back to Todd keeping the glass jar with the tarantula. The glass jar with the missing kid's fingerprints. Something just isn't right with Todd.

I have no problem with Walt/Mike handoff. Jesse and Todd (there is no "Landry" in this show), are proven fuck-ups and Mike doesn't like dealing with kids. Mike needs to run and is desperate. If Walt can get him his exit, so be it. After all, Mike could've just gotten in his car after Walt said "You're welcome." Walt's line about Lydia having the names further underscores gaps in his thinking.

Walt has obviously overestimated his importance to the meth world. Sure, methheads love the blue shit but as any alcoholic will show you, when you can't get what you want, you'll still drink anything else. Walt's connection with reality has evaporated.

Hank's score with defying his boss' orders to move on will give him further juice to keep pushing. I don't see Hank getting out from between his rock and the hard place he's in no matter how this ends- unless they pussy out like The Sopranos, which I highly doubt.

And I still maintain that the whole nanny-cam/smart phone monitoring trend makes the pest-control tenting untenable.

That was an odd scene, but I think it's more to show that Todd is still a kid and just thinks all of this is a game or "cool"...he's a criminal but he doesn't really think too much into things and thought the tarantula was cool and took it home...the same reason the kid picked it up in the first place.

1) Mike rejecting Jesse to bring him the bag. Brutal for Jesse to be reminded he's not taken seriously even by Mike, which should clue him into the fact his entire Mike relationship was just Mike trying to manipulate Walt.

Interesting take. I had taken it as more of a protective measure and Mike wanting Jesse to really get out and continue to stay out of these things.

Why doesn't Skylar take the kids and leave Walt?

Todd is creepy.

That scene w/ Skylar and Jesse was almost akin to the saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Interesting take. I had taken it as more of a protective measure and Mike wanting Jesse to really get out and continue to stay out of these things.

Why doesn't Skylar take the kids and leave Walt?

I read it that way for a second, but then thought back to the whole part of Mike setting up Jesse to be a fake hero to win him over, and how the entire "Jesse as his apprentice" thing was staged by Gus. I don't think Mike has ever been impressed with Jesse, at any point. Always calls him kid, always leaves him out of decisions, never even looks at him when they were voting or discussing the business. It's also Walt that warns him and saves him from the police with the timely phone call.

I'm still curious as to how people are reading Walt's Heisenberg speech as overestimating himself. If anything I thought it validated him completely, and was probably the breaking point for Mike.

This half of the final season has been all about Walt's rise to the absolute top. I'm guessing the final half will be his descent, and it should be amazing.

I read it that way for a second, but then thought back to the whole part of Mike setting up Jesse to be a fake hero to win him over, and how the entire "Jesse as his apprentice" thing was staged by Gus. I don't think Mike has ever been impressed with Jesse, at any point. Always calls him kid, always leaves him out of decisions, never even looks at him when they were voting or discussing the business. It's also Walt that warns him and saves him from the police with the timely phone call.

I'm still curious as to how people are reading Walt's Heisenberg speech as overestimating himself. If anything I thought it validated him completely, and was probably the breaking point for Mike.

This half of the final season has been all about Walt's rise to the absolute top. I'm guessing the final half will be his descent, and it should be amazing.

I think at the beginning he definitely doubted Jesse but it seems like he has taken somewhat of if not fatherly, protective, role towards Jesse. Looks like we'll never know. RIP Mike =(

I think Walt's speech was another egotistical overestimation as well. To me he comes off as feeling invincible and seems delusional. He keeps overcoming seemingly crazy obstacles and outsmarting people with lots of experience who should know more (Mike) and Walt knows it. He really isn't very careful but seems to think he is untouchable. At some point all of that has to come back on him.

The scene where Walt tries to convince Jesse to keep cooking with him was very powerful. For a second I thought Jesse was going to take a swing at Walt. And when he walked out, and Walt was screaming after him, to me it made Walt seem very child-like. Nobody wants to play in his fort with him anymore. Well, except Lance, who is a weird, weird dude.

That final scene was so breathtakingly beautiful - this show must be a cinematographer's wet dream.

Loved the motion cam on the lawyer's arm as he was filling all the safety deposit boxes. A BB specialty that always looks awesome (though I think the best was the Roomba cam from last season).

I also read Mike's refusal to allow Jesse to get the bag as a protective measure. Mike was originally distrustful and unimpressed with Jesse, but then Jesse saved his life after the Don Eladio episode. Mike has spent this entire half season trying to convince Jesse that Walt is bad news, so it falls in line with that kind of protective vibe.

I said it after last week's episode: Mike has made some serious mistakes this half season (against his own personal interest), but allowing Walt to deliver the bag was a fatal one. You have to wonder if he knew Walt was going to try to kill him - perhaps why he allowed Walt to deliver the bag in the first place and why he picked such a serene location for the drop (as opposed to the usual deserted areas he chooses). He had no way out except to run, and he's intimated several times that he's too old for such things. I don't think the idea of Mike yielding to Walt as a faux-suicide is entirely implausible.

Something not to be missed: Hank was once again vindicated by one of his rogue decisions. This time, it was following the lawyer, which eventually led to him flipping on Mike and the 9 other guys. This gives Hank that much more ammunition to keep the Fring investigation going, especially in the eyes of his superior.

I think the look between Jesse and Skylar was more of Jesse realizing how cold and unfeeling Walt has become (in the vein of him whistling during last week's episode). His entire mission at the beginning was to get money for his family, and now, from Jesse's point of view, Walt is keeping his own wife in a virtual prison of coldhearted rage. Jesse has discovered this over the last two episodes and is shocked by it.

Lydia and Todd are clearly going to factor heavily in the conclusion of this story. They're going to be involved in some way - its just hard to tell how.

In that vein, it seems like after every episode, the regular posters on this thread try to guess how the series will end. I think Gilligan and his writers have proven that this show is completely hard to predict. They foreshadowed the plane crash throughout the entirety of season 2, yet no one could've predicted it until the final episode sequences. They are so many options left for how Walt's time on top will end, I'm just excited to see how it plays out.

I had an idea that maybe Jesse bugged the watch he gave Walt

Walt will either bring everyone connected to him down so that the show ends in a figurative smoldering pile of ashes, where each character is either dead, disgraced, left with no hope, etc., OR perhaps his demise will occur on its own, with each character eventually severing their ties with him so that he goes down alone. They all go on with their lives in the shadow of his tragic fall.

Or maybe, just maybe, Walt finally dies and Heisenburg rides off into the sunset.

Back