• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brian Williams "misremembers" Iraq helicopter shooting

At first I was like....

That said, if a Fox News anchor lied about something as minor as this, I would be posting the same thing. It blows my mind this is a big deal ***.

...but then I went all...

Coming after Bill O'Reilly next.
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/19/8072755/report-bill-oreilly-fabricated-war-stories-on-air
O'Reilly has claimed that he saw combat around the Falklands war. In a 2013 Fox News segment, for example, he said, "I was in a situation one time, in a war zone in Argentina, in the Falklands, where my photographer got run down and then hit his head and was bleeding from the ear on the concrete."
Corn and Schulman document a number of similar claims from O'Reilly — and then argue that these claims appear likely to be false.

Ph never said anything other than pointing out that people were questioning O'Reilly's take on if he was in a war zone or not. He didn't say if he thought it was ridiculous to do so or not.

You are projecting again.

Another possibility is that one could take Ph saying, "coming after Bill O'Reilly next" as an eyeroll from Ph as he thinks it is preposterous that it even matters 31 years after the short war ended.

Personally, I don't care if O'Reilly stretched the truth about what happened in Argentina decades ago.

I do care, however, that he got up on a moral high horse attacking Brian Williams for doing basically the same thing in his own war coverage over a decade ago. Just another example of that blowhard O'Reilly being a total hypocrite.

Ph never said anything other than pointing out that people were questioning O'Reilly's take on if he was in a war zone or not. He didn't say if he thought it was ridiculous to do so or not.

You are projecting again.

I will not argue with dv7's feelings.
I will not argue...

*** It blows my mind this is a big deal ***

jhmd, I'm interested in your comparison between Williams' statements about the Chinook and O'Reilly's statements about the Falkland War.

Because I'm not sure if you think Williams' was major and O'Reilly's was minor or if both were major or both were minor or what.

Because I'm not sure if you think Williams' was major and O'Reilly's was minor or if both were major or both were minor or what.

Why not just read the thread?

In all seriousness, why isn't this a meh moment? So blowhardy-media-type-is-a-self-aggrandizing-honk-whose-stories-get-better-the-older-he-gets? This is news?

I think he hurt himself with his non-apology, and maybe showed a side of what this might actually be about. He tried to play the "I was incorrect" card when he should have played the "I was wrong" card (he can thank his Yes-men for that one), and maybe the guy is an arrogant blowhard who has made some enemies in the biz and now they are circling around him now that he is wounded. An Al Capone Tax Evasion deal.

I have gotten the sense that he was a first-generation successful guy who probably felt a little insecure in his celebrity and maybe polished the factual apple a bit when he went on the Late Night Circuit. I mean, would he be the first? Do people actually value the integrity of old, mainstream media outlets? It's news that they will lie to you? I hope not by this point.

That blow-hard media types who pretend to be news reporters make shit up is not news (at least not to me). Is the event of otherwise intelligent people getting fourth degree butthurt when blow-hard media types get exposed stretching the truth? No, that's not news. That's entertainment.

Last edited:
Are you a time traveler? Why would I look at a post from Feb 8 to see you discuss a news story that broke on Feb 19?

Are you a time traveler? Why would I look at a post from Feb 8 to see you discuss a news story that broke on Feb 19?

No need. I'm consistent on my position through time. It's one of the best parts about being a conservative: you don't have to change outcomes when the actors change. You're the one who went from "meh" to suddenly, awfully concerned (after assuring the thread that you would do no such thing).

No need. I'm consistent on my position through time. It's one of the best parts about being a conservative: you don't have to change outcomes even when the facts change."

Fify

No need. I'm consistent on my position through time. It's one of the best parts about being a conservative: you don't have to change outcomes when the actors change. You're the one who went from "meh" to suddenly, awfully concerned (after assuring the thread that you would do no such thing).

I find it strange you have a blanket position that doesn't change depending on facts.

I find it strange you have a blanket position that doesn't change depending on facts.

An artificial demographic description of a person isn't a fact; it's an opinion. Their rights should be the same regardless. That's not just the intellectual failing of your politics, but the moral one as well.

An artificial demographic description of a person isn't a fact; it's an opinion. Their rights should be the same regardless. That's not just the intellectual failing of your politics, but the moral one as well.

How is Brian Williams said X and Bill O'Reilly said Y an "artificial demographic description?"

Two different people said two different things. Seems strange to just dogmatically believe they're exact the same without comparing them.

How is Brian Williams said X and Bill O'Reilly said Y an "artificial demographic description?"

Two different people said two different things. Seems strange to just dogmatically believe they're exact the same without comparing them.

#undefeated

Back