• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Bring Back the Legacy"

Yet the football program was in much better shape right before Deacon Tower.

It has been stated many times that we don't want to depend on finding diamonds on the rough or leftovers. We got lucky with several of those panning out better than expected. With substandard facilities, we can expect substandard recruits. There are exceptions, but again, we don't want to build our program hoping for exceptions.

I am a 20 year Deacon Club member who quit giving after the bz hire...well after his first year. It was so painfully apparent after 1 season (really after 1 game) that this was a dismal hire. One that should have never been allowed to happen. I WILL NOT give another dime until both Wellman and Hatch are gone. I may consider it if Hatch would make a public apology for the lack of accountability in our Athletic Dept and a pledge to never let it happen again. Wishful thinking as Hatch is no friend to athletics. Just ask N D.

I agree that winning is a bigger factor. I also agree that building the sports performance center isn't going to all of a sudden cause us to start beating out Kentucky for basketball recruits or Alabama and Clemson for football recruits. That wouldn't happen. But having it would do more than "sway a recruit here or there". I really believe it would make more of a difference. If you were to take a football recruit on a tour of the football facilities today what would you show them after Deacon Tower? Would you show them the weightroom? Or the locker room at Bridger? If a recruit is being recruited by two comparable programs in many cases they seem to go with the one with the better facilities.

Aside from the fact that I left the Deacon Club during the bz tenure after 20+ years and that I'll never give another penny as long as Wellman is at Wake, I fundamentally disagree with the whole arms race thing with athletics. It never stops and it's never enough. There is always a new project - always a reason to ask for more and more money. I guess that's the world we choose to be in and I do like Wake competing at the highest level, so it's probably not a reasonable attitude - I have it nonetheless.

Aside from the fact that I left the Deacon Club during the bz tenure after 20+ years and that I'll never give another penny as long as Wellman is at Wake, I fundamentally disagree with the whole arms race thing with athletics. It never stops and it's never enough. There is always a new project - always a reason to ask for more and more money. I guess that's the world we choose to be in and I do like Wake competing at the highest level, so it's probably not a reasonable attitude - I have it nonetheless.

Trying to understand both points - both are valid.

Bottom line, our current weight room would be bad as of High School standards. That isn't going to cut it in the ACC.

dook can do it. So can Wake.

Trying to understand both points - both are valid.

Bottom line, our current weight room would be bad as of High School standards. That isn't going to cut it in the ACC.

dook can do it. So can Wake.

Absolutely agree. However, it begins with the administration. All of this begins from the top and it sets the tone for athletics.

When was the current weight room built?

We can get a new weight room easily with all the money that will be pouring in from the ACCs success in the NCAA basketball tourney, no?

Of course we can. But dickbag Ron would rather hold it over people's heads that we have a shitty weightroom so can't get any recruits, so therefore everybody has to get back in the DC or we'll suck ass for years to come, so ignore that he is the one who made us suck ass in the present.

I've got an idea, how much have we paid Wellman over the years? Howabout he donates all of the money to build the fucking weight room. It is the least he can do.

We can get a new weight room easily with all the money that will be pouring in from the ACCs success in the NCAA basketball tourney, no?

The new weight room is tied to the overall sports performance center. http://wakewill.wfu.edu/athletics/sports-performance-center. If the NCAA tournament money isn't needed for scholarships I would expect that it would offset only a fraction of the cost of the center. The timing of the center will likely depend on how quickly they can raise the money via fundraising. Also I could be wrong but I think that some of the early large donations for this facility ended up being used for the football practice facility instead.

It is amazing/crazy to see what some other schools are doing (you should look up the center that Kentucky is building for football). I agree that it does point out some of the things that are flawed about the entire college sports model. I also agree that we wouldn't need to worry about it at all if we were to join the Southern Conference, but that is not a step I am eager to take.

We're never going to be able to keep up with the Jones' in terms of buildings and "new stuff." We just need to get out of the basement with some of our facilities though. The academic reputation is what sets us above the Kentuckys of the world.

Metaphorically, we need to rid the cute face with a world class personality of a few pimples - then we'll get the guys we want. Some will still settle for the ditz with the fake ones, but that's just their loss.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Strick, when was the current weight room built?

Strick, when was the current weight room built?

Deac94 hit it on the head.

The "renovation" was really just replacing some of the mats and equipment. Some of our student-athletes still have to move some machines out of the way to use others. Our nutrition station currently consists of 1 thing of chocolate milk that needs daily refilling, 1 sink, and 6 thermoses. It's a mess.

If only we weren't throwing away so much money on buyouts after failed coaching hires maybe we would have better facilities.

Ron Wellman fired a coach he had given an extension to 5 months before in order to hire an old friend who had a poor track record as a coach. Yet Wellman still has a job. Why would we trust these people with money?

Back