• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Bring Back the Legacy"

Accepted by whom? Every writing and style guide that I can find says that 'their' is incorrect in that sentence.

Accepted by scholarly communities that are sensitive to issues of gender. That's the best answer that I can give you off of the top of my head.

It's good usage versus common usage, I suppose, though I'd argue that it has progressed well beyond common usage -- I do find it in academic writing every so often.

Had the author opted instead for active voice over the passive, e.g. "From the moment a student-athlete receives a scholarship offer"...the biggest obstacle here diminishes...

Last edited:
Accepted by scholarly communities that are sensitive to issues of gender. That's the best answer that I can give you off of the top of my head.

It's good usage versus common usage, I suppose, though I'd argue that it has progressed well beyond common usage -- I do find it in academic writing every so often.

I think people who want it to be used correctly, who are in charge of the English language, just gave up and just said, "Yeah, everybody's saying 'their' anyway, Fuck IT!"

I had an English professor in high school who wrote in to the New Yorker to take President Reagan to task for using "their" instead of "his" or "her," so this issue is near and dear to my heart.

I generally construct my sentences to avoid using "their" when I know the proper word is "his/her."

Boo. Comments are now moderated.

I’ll never forget rolling the quad when [Redacted] was fired. It was the most exciting basketball moment in my 4 years at Wake. Thanks Ron!

Ouch. That's such a shame. :(

#WellmanOut!

I generally construct my sentences to avoid using "their" when I know the proper word is "his/her."

This is most certainly the best practice. Which, I guess, was the point that each poster made in their turn.

So, it looks like they changed the copy on the website:

Wake Forest has a rich legacy of academic and athletic success. From the moment a student-athlete is offered his/her scholarship to the last play of his/her college career and beyond, the Deacon Club is dedicated to Developing Champions. Wake Forest’s history has countless stories, memories, legends and heroes – both on and off the field.

:laugh:

Oh man, I thought you were kidding. That's not better. Why can't they just hire a competent copy writer?

$_1.JPG

So, it looks like they changed the copy on the website:

:laugh:

LOLOL. Fortunately, that means in the very least that someone in the AD is monitoring the non-sports boards. Unfortunately, it means that he/she requires someone to vet his/her prose.

I'm going to volunteer a re-write (shit's pretty clunky now). I didn't initially, so to asses their collective gumption, savvy, et cetera. I reckon I should have known. I am ever the optimist, though...

We shall see...we shall see...

Back