• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bruce Weber: Fired... Targeting Shaka (who says no)

I have a few questions for Shaka Smart so I can confirm he did NOT just get out-coached by Crean.

1 - Why did Reddic get 0 touches in the half court for the entire second half after Reddic knocked down a few nice jump hooks in the first half and he appeared to be their ONLY back to the basket option?

2 - Why was IU able to use a 6'8 Power Forward to guard the VCU point guard for the entire second half. I saw 1 play where the point guard got right by Watford and got in the lane and drained an open 12 footer. Was that so hard to do more than once? Or is it all so complex?

VCU really could have used Jamie Skeen this year.

another brilliant move by shaka. my completely outside of the loop sources (me) tell me that his dream job is wake. as mentioned above he wants to compete against the best (acc, dook, unc etc) and he does not want to follow one of the greats. you are just asking for trouble from fans during the first rough spot.

now ronnie and shaka have carefully put into motion a plan that leaves prosser's legacy in tact while moving away from it as well (dino). he brings in bzz to demolish the program and lower expectations to the point that shaka will ride in on his magic unicorn and save the day. the lowered expectations means he will have all the room in the world (similar to a mid major situation) to win some years and be down others.

i for one salute ronnie for planning and carrying out such a brilliant long term solution. it truly takes b@lls to stick with it. inside he knows we will all be very happy. i just feel bad that bzz was thrown under the bus so badly.

I have never heard of a coach taking/turning down a job based on his food preferences!

Jaybone has intimate knowledge that Shaka loves Richmond soul food much more than Capel did. Of course Grant preferred Alabama soul food.

There is no such thing as Alabama soul food silly. It's called poverty in Alabama

Jaybone has intimate knowledge that Shaka loves Richmond soul food much more than Capel did. Of course Grant preferred Alabama soul food.

FWIW, there is actually a phenomenal Richmond soul food seafood restaurant South of the river near the Manchester Courthouse. Had dinner there once, and it was 1 of the best meals I've had in Richmond. Forget the name.

Edited to add Croakers Spot is the name. Try it if you're ever in Richmond.

http://croakersspot.com/

Last edited:
Why the hell did he publicly pursue that job? That's gotta put him in hot water at Free Shoes U.

Not really since he has ties to Illinois, kids live there and he wants a much deserved raise. Not to mention Spring Practice started Monday so most of the fanbase prolly don't even know.

On April 4, 2011, Smart agreed to an 8-year contract extension with the VCU Rams, increasing his base pay from $350,000 to $1.2 million per year, prior to any performance bonuses.

That's an ( would be ) expensive buy-out for Wellman, isn't it ?

We still owe Dino ?

What's Buzz's contract details ?

We still owe Dino ?

worth it worth it worth it. if wellman were to ask the DC and alumni for a coach fund, i don't know a single soul among my friends that wouldn't give.

We still owe Dino ?

Dino's coming off the books soon. Bzz doesn't make a ton by comparison to other ACC coaches.

We still owe Dino ?

I don't see anything there that lists his buy out if he decides to leave early. Buyouts (in both directions...coach leaves early, school fires early) are just as negitioable as anything else in a contract. Hard to imagine they would ever be for the full contract price/term, especially not with regards to the coach leaving early and owing the school.

Sounds like we still owe Dino about $800K (over two years) according to BCobb.

And no one really know's Bzz's contract, other than we assume it's more than his CO, so around $900K-1 million a year, but we have no idea what his buy out is.

Last edited:

We still owe Dino ?

Wellman did an interview with Dan Collins where he said something like, "most of our new coaches get 5 year contracts."

So that means that [Redacted] has 3 years left on his contract and most sources say he is making around 1 million a year.

Just 800k and an home/home series with VCU? That's it? That's all we would have to pay?

FUCKING PULL THE GOD DAMN TRIGGER ALREADY

Yep, and we just played a home and home series with them so why not line another one up.

Smart earned $1.285 million last season. His contract stipulates an $800,000 buyout if he leaves for another job before April 30. The school that hires Smart must schedule a two-year home-and-home series with the Rams or pay them $250,000. :eek:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...illinois-basketball--20120321,0,7149067.story

Ok, in that case, he can easily be hired after April 30th to avoid the $800K and $250K or a H&H is next to nothing in the grand scheme. Go get him Ron.

Back