• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bryant Crawford charge call and subsequent tech

The officials almost always call a lean in by the offensive player with the ball against the defender. They badly missed the charge call pn BC. The ref T-ing up the complainer after he blew the call is disgraceful. Indeed, the T often appears as a defensive response when the ref knows he's blown the call.

How many times was Xavier's guards using their arms on the drive. Never got an offensive foul.

This.

We had fouls called on us, on defense, when the only contact was a push off with the arm by Xavier.
Hate complaining about refs but didn't like the calls last night.

Anyone else notice the attitude that Brian Kersey has had when doing our games? He was really baiting Manning last night, wanting to show him up.

Both players were out of control. Defender did not establish a legal guarding position. It was a clear block. At worst you would have just made it a no call and called a walk, but under no circumstances was that a charge.

Indeed, that is the rub. The defender was nowhere close to square in establishing position and basically hip-checked Crawford, who was really trying to absorb contact and cut inside I think.

But even so, BC must keep a cooler head and not show up the officials. Danny yanked him earlier in the game when he was demonstrative in his pleading to the referee about Miles Davis flopping on the play BC was whistled for an offensive foul when he never actually extended his left arm. That was a borderline play, but that was a portent of bad things to come I'm afraid.

The charge call doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the technical foul call on top of a call you know is a 50-50 call.

Whether the call is good or bad, you can't get teed right here with the game this close and with not much time left.

Whatever it was, the ball came flying across the court. It was obviously done with some force.

The ball went from where he was sitting on the ground, and went into the corner by the bench, which was at most about 20 feet.

Regardless of any directives the officials have been given, they changed the game completely in the 2nd half. The inconsistency was glaring to anyone rational. The charge call was completely bogus. 90% of the time it is called on the defender. In a sense, the offensive player has a right to be out of control (stumble) going to the basket. The defender doesn't have the right to stumble and dive in front of him. It was an awful call.

I'm all for the officials cleaning up a lot of the physicality in the game. I think it does make for much better offensive flow. BUT you need to establish that from the get go...not in the 2nd half.

This is what pisses me off. You cannot decide to change the course of your officiating at half, this shit drives me nuts.

The officials almost always call a lean in by the offensive player with the ball against the defender. They badly missed the charge call pn BC. The ref T-ing up the complainer after he blew the call is disgraceful. Indeed, the T often appears as a defensive response when the ref knows he's blown the call.

They seem to do it to prove to themselves(?) that they made the right call, so any complaining about it is a T. In general, refs seem to be suffering from inferiority complexes. Their attitude is "even when I'm wrong, I'm right and I'm in charge and I'll prove it to you."

I'm all for the officials cleaning up a lot of the physicality in the game. I think it does make for much better offensive flow. BUT you need to establish that from the get go...not in the 2nd half.
Xavier got way more physical in the second half...which likely forced their hand. The game was not called consistently one side of the court to the other. That was the problem. Watching Farr walk constantly, especially that bucket that put them up 6...was painful to watch.

Regardless of the call which I believe was wrong, the technical was warranted. Bad calls happen - always will - and players need to keep their composure when they do. It was pretty obvious that BC was anything but composed on those two trips down the floor which culminated with the technical.

Their big was literally shoving Collins and Moore in the paint.

Doesn't make up for not scoring a FG for 7 minutes to start the half.

Their big was literally shoving Collins and Moore in the paint.

Doesn't make up for not scoring a FG for 7 minutes to start the half.

There's no reason why we couldn't exploit the fact that Farr played for a lot of the second half with four fouls. We didn't go inside once on offense after the 18-2 run. We didn't play the refs once on defense. For all of that contact, I saw a lot of matador defense that rendered it meaningless from an officiating perspective. Once a guy like that gets four fouls and still plays like a bull in a china shop, you exploit that ASAP and often.

I didn't like the off-the-ball offensive fouls that went against GMac (moving screen, iirc), Devin, and Dinos, though. The NCAA needs to curb that crap before the game becomes unwatchable. It's bad enough that they call on-ball contact so close, but to whistle off-the-ball contact so often - especially when it doesn't really go both ways - is pretty bush league.

Last edited:
I think there were 17 fouls in the first 8 minutes of the second half last night. It was completely unwatchable. I think the new rules or "reverting to the interpretation of the ACTUAL rules" or whatever we're calling this was just a ridiculous decision. These kids have been playing this style of basketball their whole life and this is the way the game was taught because this is the way it was officiated in practice. Now they're just changing the way the game is called at the college level and people can't believe the players aren't adapting. Yeah they've been playing basketball a different way for the majority of their life.

Let's be real, all of CBB is basically unwatchable outside of the high profile games, and even then it's iffy. The shittiness of the refs combined with the emphasis on calling more fouls has made for a largely terrible regular season product.

Let's be real, all of CBB is basically unwatchable outside of the high profile games, and even then it's iffy. The shittiness of the refs combined with the emphasis on calling more fouls has made for a largely terrible regular season product.

Yeah good post.

The refs are the most incompetent part of any sport, especially a non-pro league, never a good idea to give them a mandate to dictate the game more. They've interpreted the rules to call fouls that are almost unavoidable on every play if an offensive player wants to initiate contact, and then they call these fouls inconsistently. It has nothing to do with style of play.

The sport brought this on itself by not enforcing the rules of the game for years and years and years....until it became so physical that it barely resembled the sport as described in its rule books. Now it's going to take a lot of fouls being called for a long time before the players realize that there are rules in the game. Up until now, they have mostly just ignored them. Basketball is supposed to be basically a non-contact sport. Only "incidental" contact is allowed.....and players are certainly not supposed to have their hands on other players. Just because players have become bigger, stronger & more athletic does not change the fact that they are required to play the game according to the rules of the game. Either that or throw the damned rule book out the window and change the name of the game.

The problem is offensive players can game the system by initiating the contact. So many times a drive into the lane that has no prayer of succeeding gets bailed out by a whistle because there was contact. Often those are cases of contact where there is neither an offensive or defensive foul.

ETA: And then they'll get frisky and inconsistent and make a bad charge call against the offensive player at a crucial time it seems just because.

Last edited:
I don't think it's reasonable that a bunch of 6-7' tall guys who weigh between 175-275 pounds or so are not going to run into each other with an alarming frequency on a court that's 94 feet by 50 feet and the game is condensed for chunks of time into roughly 1/3 of the court. Doesn't seem like a sport that's remotely fun to watch either since there will be inevitable contact that goes beyond incidental.

I don't think it's reasonable that a bunch of 6-7' tall guys who weigh between 175-275 pounds or so are not going to run into each other with an alarming frequency on a court that's 94 feet by 50 feet and the game is condensed for chunks of time into roughly 1/3 of the court. Doesn't seem like a sport that's remotely fun to watch either since there will be inevitable contact that goes beyond incidental.

I completely agree with your last sentence, which is why I have stopped going to any games. If I wanted to watch wrestling contests, I would go to wrestling matches. Basketball was not designed as a game to be decided by which team could get the biggest brutes to push the other team around the court. There are other sports for that. Basketball is supposed to be a fluid, almost graceful game that relies upon shooting, passing & dribbling skills.....not brute strength or the ability to hold and/or push people around on the court.

ETA: All I'm saying is that the game should be played according to the rules. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. I guess I just don't understand the argument that the game should not be played according to the rules because players are bigger & stronger. Bigger & stronger players should be required to play by the rules just like all the other players.

Last edited:
Back