• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Trump Says

no, just use a different word that actually describes what you're referring to
The cultural understanding of suburban goes beyond the dictionary definition, because language is a living thing. The spirit of the word is just a reference to meek elitist middle class whites living in homogenous neighborhoods. Mowing the lawn in chinos and a polo? Suburban. A cul de sac? Suburban? Panera Bread? Suburban. Chevy Suburban? Suburban.

Last edited:
The cultural understanding of suburban goes beyond the dictionary definition, because language is a living thing. The spirit of the word is just a reference to meek elitist middle class whites living in homogenous neighborhoods. Mowing the lawn in chinos and a polo? Suburban. A cul de sac? Suburban? Panera Bread? Suburban. Chevy Suburban? Suburban.

Those things aren't suburban if they're not in a suburb.

You're just doing the same as conservatives do when they use "inner city" = black.

Those things aren't suburban if they're not in a suburb.

You're just doing the same as conservatives do when they use "inner city" = black.
Your resistance to legitimizing cultural generalizations is noted, but not all generalizations are equal, and "suburban" isn't a denigrating generalization of an entire race, just a specific subset of the middle and upper middle class, who in America happen to be be mostly white.

Your resistance to legitimizing cultural generalizations is noted, but not all generalizations are equal, and "suburban" isn't a denigrating generalization of an entire race, just a specific subset of the middle and upper middle class, who in America happen to be be mostly white.

but those people live everywhere from rural to suburban to urban, so why not just call them middle to upper class Democrat voters?

I truly do not understand what MDMH is trying to argue.

but those people live everywhere from rural to suburban to urban, so why not just call them middle to upper class Democrat voters?
lol as if suburbanites were suddenly all Democrats. The urban white middle class is bohemian chic, as a generalization.

lol as if suburbanites were suddenly all Democrats. The urban white middle class is bohemian chic, as a generalization.

ok so then just middle to upper middle class. then you have covered all geography and political leanings. and people actually, you know, use that term to describe such.

ok so then just middle to upper middle class. then you have covered all geography and political leanings. and people actually, you know, use that term to describe such.
I enjoy the back and forth here, but I don't have the influence to change how a nation understands a word. I do agree that "suburban" as it's culturally understood, is basically a synonym for upper-middle class.

I enjoy the back and forth here, but I don't have the influence to change how a nation understands a word. I do agree that "suburban" as it's culturally understood, is basically a synonym for upper-middle class.

Well that's just not true.

Wait, this is what you've been arguing this whole time?

North Platte, Nebraska suburb of Denver

b82c7b2c03d072e638732394e786979b.jpg

Anybody want to decipher this quote from the President's interview yesterday? Moonz? sailor? Brad?

So there’s a chance at that, there’s a great chance at comprehensive immigration reform. If they wanna do it, they wanna do it, they wanna do it right. And there’s a good chance at doing things that maybe you couldn’t do.

Don’t forget, I didn’t really have a majority. I had one senator. And I had a few Republicans in the House. You know, a very small number. Um, and now the pressure’s on them because they’ve gotta come to me with things.

Hey, the beauty is, and I’ve said this, you heard me at the news conference, I don’t know if you agree with me — let’s say I won with two Republicans or three. I’d have to make deals with Republicans. I’d have guys coming to me, you know, out of that group there’ll be people. Let’s not say they’re good or bad but they’re people: ‘well I don’t want to do this.’ Well, I’m gonna have three or more. I mean, literally, unless I had like a 25 majority, you know, something substantial, they would come to me and they would say, ‘well, I don’t like it.’ You wouldn’t even be able to get something through there. It would be too close.

Where I am now, when they have a small majority, I can sit back and say, ‘hey.’ And the beauty is when it gets passed, when we pass things, we’ll get it passed in the Senate, which now we can’t because we need 10 Democrat votes. Because we’ll have Democrats and I’ll be able to get enough Republicans to pass.

But the beauty is, the beauty is that we actually have something that can work much better than it worked before, because before it was politically very difficult for a lot of people.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/14/transcript-trump-daily-caller-interview/

This is just from searching "suburban" on twitter and picking out the cultural references. Hell, Arcade Fire made a whole grammy winning album referencing the cultural existentialism of suburban life.
How do you know those people aren't adhering to the dictionary definition of "suburban?"

let's have a thread where we put in general terms and post some google image results and use that as the new definition of the word

How do you know those people aren't adhering to the dictionary definition of "suburban?"
Yeah, jinwoo and minhyuk look like suburban dads based on their proximity to a metro area.

let's have a thread where we put in general terms and post some google image results and use that as the new definition of the word
Since you're bothered I guess I should apologize to you that words gain additional meaning beyond their original definition, based on their usage.

Sure, except when their implied meaning in studies refers to their historical context and everyone is talking based on that definition except for one chode.

Back