• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bullshit Trump Says

Yeah, jinwoo and minhyuk look like suburban dads based on their proximity to a metro area.

How do you know they weren't mocking people who live within a certain proximity to an urban area?

So just to be clear, MDMH, you are saying that "suburban voters" actually means middle- to upper-class whites, not voters that live in suburbs?

Sure, except when their implied meaning in studies refers to their historical context and everyone is talking based on that definition except for one chode.
When we reference "rural voters" in a political context, thats usually not a reference inclusive of wealthy college graduates, because there is an understood class implication of regional living despite the reality on the ground. Crumbling impovershed suburbs and micro farmers with masters degrees dont really fit into these frameworks. If you were to say that "suburbanites" really came out for the Democrats this midterm, you wouldnt be referencing homeless opiod addicts.

Last edited:
So just to be clear, MDMH, you are saying that "suburban voters" actually means middle- to upper-class whites, not voters that live in suburbs?
I would include education in that distinction, but yes. The suburbs themselves are becoming increasingly impovershed and stricken with opiod addiction. I'd bet money against a #bluewave of suburban homeless turnout.

I would include education in that distinction, but yes. The suburbs themselves are becoming increasingly impovershed and stricken with opiod addiction. I'd bet money against a #bluewave of suburban homeless turnout.

but that doesn't make them not suburbs...

When we reference "rural voters" in a political context, thats usually not a reference inclusive of wealthy college graduates, because there is an understood class implication of regional living despite the reality on the ground. Crumbling impovershed suburbs and micro farmers with masters degrees dont really fit into these frameworks. If you were to say that "suburbanites" really came out for the Democrats this midterm, you wouldnt be referencing homeless opiod addicts.

When we reference "rural voters" we are talking about people in rural areas. Crumbling impoverished suburbs don't fit because those are suburbs, not rural. Micro farmers with masters degrees fit if they're in rural areas.

Suburbanites are people who live in a dwelling in the suburbs, so no, you're not talking about homeless opioid addicts.

Yeah suburbs are the suburbs of a city regardless of who lives there, like District 7 GA, clear Atlanta suburb, close congressional race, went for Clinton and Abrams, Gwinnett county GA, check out those demographics. Then less demographically diverse suburb of Atlanta GA 6th that just flipped, that fits the MDMH made up definition with upper middle class white people but guess what both the 6th and 7th, suburb districts.

When we reference "rural voters" we are talking about people in rural areas. Crumbling impoverished suburbs don't fit because those are suburbs, not rural. Micro farmers with masters degrees fit if they're in rural areas.

Suburbanites are people who live in a dwelling in the suburbs, so no, you're not talking about homeless opioid addicts.

You often critisize me for generalizing, but your understanding and usage of these terms is so incredibly reductive and ignorant it might as well be another form of generalizing. You just said that the term "suburbanite" is reserved for someone in a "suburban" home, yet suburban is a regional distinction, not a class distinction. So if you get evicted tomorrow you're suddenly not a suburban voter anymore?

Last edited:
You often critisize me for generalizing, but your understanding and usage of these terms is so incredibly reductive and ignorant it might as well be another form of generalizing. You just said that the term "suburbanite" is reserved for someone in a "suburban" home, yet suburban is a regional distinction, not a class distinction. So if you get evicted tomorrow you're suddenly not a suburban voter anymore?

Using a word as it's defined is "reductive and ignorant."

I'll tell Webster's their own scheme is "reductive and ignorant."

If someone moves out of the suburbs, they're not suburban anymore. Yes.

So suburban voter turnout doesn't include turnout among the poor and homeless in a suburban region. Got it. In between the gated communities it's what, rural?

He just said being poor and homeless in the suburbs doesn't make them not suburbs. I know it's reductive to believe his words mean what he said, but it's a pretty good system to use.

He just said being poor and homeless in the suburbs doesn't make them not suburbs. I know it's reductive to believe his words mean what he said, but it's a pretty good system to use.
Your own words here
So being a suburbanite requires a suburban home - yeah, absolutely no class implications there. By your own logic that statement makes no fucking sense. Anyways, suburban political preference is a product of culture and education. Whether suburbanites are liberal or conservative, it's cultural. Their geolocation is fucking irrelevant. The same with rural, and urban voters. The attempt to analyze voters by location instead of motivation is arbitrary as fuck.

Your own words here

So being a suburbanite requires a suburban home - yeah, absolutely no class implications there. By your own logic that statement makes no fucking sense. Anyways, suburban political preference is a product of culture and education. Whether suburbanites are liberal or conservative, it's cultural. Their geolocation is fucking irrelevant. The same with rural, and urban voters. The attempt to analyze voters by location instead of motivation is arbitrary as fuck.

There is a ton of rental stock in the suburbs. Corporate landlords like Blackstone have been stockpiling single family housing stock and gauging working and lower middle class suburbanites for the better part of a decade at this point.

Your own words here

You realize voters are grouped by location and that’s the whole foundation of our election system.

There is a ton of rental stock in the suburbs. Corporate landlords like Blackstone have been stockpiling single family housing stock and gauging working and lower middle class suburbanites for the better part of a decade at this point.
Trying to debate on these boards is like chasing your tail. I've got a friend in Apex NC whos a research scientist for the NIH, lives in a 4bd house in a huge subdivision, a quarter of a mile away from a run down trailer park. If someone were to analyze the voter turnout of 'suburban" Apex, of course it went up. Did it go up as much in the trailer park as in the subdivision? Very unlikely. If you saw a picture of my friends house and a 1988 singlewide, which would you identify as a "suburban" home?

Trying to debate on these boards is like chasing your tail. I've got a friend in Apex NC whos a research scientist for the NIH, lives in a 4bd house in a huge subdivision, a quarter of a mile away from a run down trailer park. If someone were to analyze the voter turnout of 'suburban" Apex, of course it went up. Did it go up as much in the trailer park as in the subdivision? Very unlikely. If you saw a picture of my friends house and a 1988 singlewide, which would you identify as a "suburban" home?

Is it located in a suburb?

Back